IGNORED

Rear Spoiler

Diseazd

The original BRE spoiler is the same as the 432 spoiler. Peter Brock used the 432 spoiler on the BRE 240Z's. There is a flat section on the back for an emblem should you desire to install one.

Hi Ron:

I think it might be less confusing to say;

"Peter Brock originally used the Nissan rear spoiler on his C-Production 240-Z's" :D

Then later BRE produced their own version locally. The BRE version did not have the flat spot for mounting the rear deck lid emblems, nor did it have the two molded reinforcing ribs seen on the front of the Nissan spoiler. See image below. The Nissan spoiler had a steeper rake as well.

Today, Les at Classic Motorsports has reproductions of the Nissan rear spoiler. He may also carry the original BRE style.

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150805063589_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl Beck

Hi Car & Zero,

Carl, you are correct, the spoiler on the C-Production BRE 240Z was a 432 spoiler. The spoiler that BRE sold as a "BRE" Spoiler could have been different. Les Cannaday sells the 432 spoiler as a "BRE" spoiler and a 432 spoiler.

Zero, the spoiler has a flat section that is around 12" to 15" on the passenger side rear of the car. If you look in my gallery you will see photos of the spoiler front and back. Note the section that has the DATSUN decal on the back of the spoiler. That decal is 13 inches long and is where the flat section is on the spoiler.

I know Interpart also made what is described as a BRE type rear spoiler early on. Both the Interpart and BRE offering were sold without the raised portion for an emblem. BRE must have made both versions, with the raised area - that mirrored the 432 spoiler and without. Mine does not have the raised area and for all I know could be an Interpart piece, but the guy I bought it from said it was an original BRE - meaning - from their catalog.

I am a little fuzzy on the exact details, but Interpart took over selling BRE items when Peter Brock moved away from racing. I believe that Mac Tilton was directly involved with Interpart. So saying you have a BRE/Interpart item is correct. BRE cataloges ceased to exist in 73 or 74? after that BRE Datsun performance parts were sold through Interpart.

The spoiler pictured above in Carls post is the 432 spoiler, that type of spoiler ran on the BRE 240Z #46.

Thanks Geezer......It's nice when my son and I can both be right.....I remember the BRE spoilers from the 70's and was almost certain there was not an emblem section. I'm looking for originality, so I won't be putting the emblems on the spoiler. Guy

I'm glad both of us are right b/c in this economy.... neither one of us can afford to bet and be wrong. We have to have all our extra cash to put into our Babies A.K.A Datsun's :)

As far as my exhaust leak goes, my exhaust does not have an extended tip so I think that should be my first order of business.

Thanks for all the great info!!!

Yes.... The parts business of BRE became Interpart... and the guys that bought the BRE Parts business added other lines of performance equipment and accessories to expand the profit center. So for a time the BRE Parts business and Interpart were one and the same really.

To my knowledge BRE never sold the Nissan Part, nor did they reproduce an exact copy. The BRE rear spoiler was built differently, and had a fully enclosed bottom. The only original Nissan spoilers I've seen pictures of - were open (not fully enclosed) on the bottom. I was looking for a picture of mine... but it looks like I'll have to take one on the car... The original BRE Spoiler Mounting instructions don't have any pictures either.

The BRE Spoiler came with a foam rubber seal - that was supposed to go under the spoiler - I didn't put it on mine. I didn't want it holding moisture on the car - better to let the water run off. It also came with DATSUN and BRE decals... I didn't put either on.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Geezer......It's nice when my son and I can both be right.....I remember the BRE spoilers from the 70's and was almost certain there was not an emblem section. I'm looking for originality, so I won't be putting the emblems on the spoiler. Guy

Guy, I don't think you could correctly call it going for originality unless you used the actual Nissan rear spoiler complete with the appropriate emblem/s. Even then I believe it was an option in most markets or sold from the Sports Options Catalogs or Performance Catalogs. Anything from BRE or Interpart or any of the current reproductions are aftermarket pieces, so there is no right or wrong emblem choice. I just refer to my rear spoiler as a BRE type. I have no plans to mount any emblems on it.

Side note - I think I might want to have a die-cut BRE logo for my front spook. Anyone heard if Les or the re-incarnated BRE has plans to repop those stickers?

Funny you should ask. These were just announced in the last BRE newsletter sent out a couple of days ago.

http://www.bre2.net/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=B&Category_Code=decals_sub_240Z

-Mike

Ron......Most Z's running around in the 70's had the BRE spoilers.

Yes they did, most were aftermarket, some were dealer ordered from Nissan. My last post was just my feeble attempt to point out the differences to anyone reading this thread so they can differentiate between the BRE look you and I are trying to achieve, and what is actually considered original. Different people will look at this a different way, example, Ron Carter considers the 432 spoiler the "original". We can't say he is wrong and I don't think what we are doing is wrong either but we can't call it "original". Well you can if you want, but I just wanted others to note the difference if that makes sense.

Edit - Guy, do you know if the underside of the one you ordered is enclosed at the bottom? Just curious of how it is constructed and how it is mounted.

Edited by geezer