IGNORED

What's in YOUR garage?

Arne

Oh golly, where do I begin? Lets start with the "bat cave", the little 12X38 foot addition Grandpa built for his Airstreams. It houses the 68 Roadster, 9 tons of red rock (indiginous to this area and can not get wet without falling apart) quarried in 1890 and used for foundation stone. Someday it will be used in an indoor fireplace. An 8 horse 120 gallon air compressor, some metal shelving and garden tools, weed eater and chain saw, a non working big screen, (big brother's), and a bathroom.

The main part of the garage (26X38) has in it now my 73Z, and #110, a John Deere 111H, 3-3ft by 8 ft work tables, 3 work benches, a huge amount of garage sale stuff that needs to go somewhere, all kinds of spare Z parts including a driver's fender, 2 doors a hood and a hatch, a 4 speed tranny with drive shaft, a spare head with valve cover, chrome headers, a spook, 4 totes full of small Z stuff, more metal shelving racks, a huge assortment of tools, hand and garden, and other things I haven't seen in years. If all is placed just right I can get the 96 Saturn SC2 in there in case of hail. In the yard I have a pear tree without a partrige.

Bonzi Lon

• Like 1

Nice shops. Wish mine had the tools some of you have. :)

When this one is finished it will house the car in my avatar, an '82 slicktop ZX (future race car) and the pieces from my last two parts cars.

Not enough room for the "regular cars":

'04 RX8 Gray Daily driver

'04 RX8 Green Oldest son's

'08 CX7 GT Wifes

'94 Impreza younger son's

'03 Chevy 2500HD diesel Tow vehicle

post-10161-14150804630133_thumb.jpg

I'm actually most intrigued by the Corsair. That aircraft, the P-51 and the Supermarine Spitfire all share my appreciation equally! What is it "they" say, "beauty follows function"?

Welding and and proper use of the metal lathe are two of the primary mechanical skills that remain on my wish list to be minored (as opposed to being mastered, as I wouldn't be so presumptuous to think that's possible without beginning at a much earlier time in life- not that I'm an old dog. Arf. ROFL) Or is that a demonstration of "rolling over"? :D I'd like to be much better with the brake, plasma cutter and milling machine too.

I haven't flown in years. It's just too expensive with the cost of AVgas and rental. That's why I'm building a homebuilt. On an experimental you can do all the maintenance and inspections yourself and save$$. At age 8 I saw my first Z about the time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron (TV show with F4U's) and fell in love with both machines. Got my Z at around age 20 and 19 years later I'm half finished with the plane. :) I agree. The planes of that era are very much like our Z's in the fact that there's a certain magnetism to them.

I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up machining/welding. I went to Vo-Tech for a few months and learned enough. It's surprising when you find how many people have this sort of hobby/inclination. Thought I was unique! (Just average) It took years of shopping and saving to equip the shop. Nowdays the equpiment is becoming very affordable. (Check out Grizzly Industrial and Enco) I'm not rich and earn an average income. Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year) W/o kids what's a guy to do... Build a dream shop!

A half scale F4U...

DavidCoghillFLY.jpg

post-12438-14150804638189_thumb.jpg

I haven't flown in years. It's just too expensive with the cost of AVgas and rental. That's why I'm building a homebuilt. On an experimental you can do all the maintenance and inspections yourself and save$$. At age 8 I saw my first Z about the time I was watching Black Sheep Squadron (TV show with F4U's) and fell in love with both machines. Got my Z at around age 20 and 19 years later I'm half finished with the plane. :) I agree. The planes of that era are very much like our Z's in the fact that there's a certain magnetism to them.

I think you'd be surprised how easy it is to pick up machining/welding. I went to Vo-Tech for a few months and learned enough. It's surprising when you find how many people have this sort of hobby/inclination. Thought I was unique! (Just average) It took years of shopping and saving to equip the shop. Nowdays the equpiment is becoming very affordable. (Check out Grizzly Industrial and Enco) I'm not rich and earn an average income. Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year) W/o kids what's a guy to do... Build a dream shop!

A half scale F4U...

DavidCoghillFLY.jpg

Looks great! When do you anticipate first flight? I too fell in love with the Corsair from that show, and the hard-living Pappy Boyington was an idol, along with Gen. Chuck Yaeger. When my Dad was 13 during WW2, he worked at the Vought factory at Stratford, Conn. making landing gear parts for the Corsair, another connection with this plane. It's great how people can literally fall for inanimate objects of great beauty. I've seen the scale Spitfire too. Maybe some day I'll build one of those, and we'll fly into Oshkosh together in scale warbirds! I wonder if the L-24 would be too heavy for aviation usage? I also thought I'd take a vocational course in welding and metalwork to learn the basics. Best of luck to you!

Not all of my family or friends understand this. Some even call my Z "that old POS!" Their loss to not appreciate the mixing of such grace with so much power and gorgeous lines. Age has nothing to do with it.

Edited by Poindexter

JimmyZ/Poindexter:

Way off topic - but what the heck..

I built models of all the WW-II planes in the mid to late 50's. I was 10 to 15 years old then. My father had gone to Emery-Riddle Flight School in the 20's and I used to have his Bearskin Flying Gloves. (lost them somehow during my homeless days).

By the mid 60's I was in college - and got my Private Ticket at Lane Aviation, Port Columbus International Air Port. Loved learning how to fly, and for the first few years it was affordable.

By the late 60's early 70's I was in the Air Force - and making something like $350.00 per month - the cost of private planes was just too high and I have to admit that having been there and done that, I wasn't as motivated as I used to be. A few friends had planes and I'd fly with them every one-in-awhile.

Funny thing was, by the mid 70's, 80's and 90's I was working on engineering programs for the F-14, F-16, AV8-B, F-18, F-22..(among other things).

By the 90's I was getting old, eyes going South and problems with my heart... so I was grounded for good.

Nonetheless, like you guys - I still love to see the war birds from WW-II. Personally I'd like to have an ME-109 or P-51... but it doesn't look like that's going happen.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Wish I had kids but the wife and I were too old by the time we were ready. (She turns 43 this year)

She's young by todays standardsLOL

If you had told me, when I was 49 that I'd be having kids again, I would have told you that you were nuts. Lucky that we never know what life will hold for us tomorrow.

At 50 I had my first Daughter - quite a surprise - and completely different than raising the boys (now 39 and 36). My wife was 41 and more surprised than me. My Daughter has been a complete joy.....

You never know...

Carl B.

Edited by Carl Beck

JimmyZ/Poindexter:

Way off topic - but what the heck..

Funny thing was, by the mid 70's, 80's and 90's I was working on engineering programs for the F-14, F-16, AV8-B, F-18, F-22..(among other things).

By the 90's I was getting old, eyes going South and problems with my heart... so I was grounded for good.

Nonetheless, like you guys - I still love to see the war birds from WW-II. Personally I'd like to have an ME-109 or P-51... but it doesn't look like that's going happen.

FWIW,

Carl B.

I have a Hobby Model balsa kit of an F4U from the '40's. (still in box) It was given to me by a girlfriends father years ago. Made a few plastic models when I was a kid but my paint jobs were God awful.

There was a fellow named George Cauthin (RIP) who made the first 1/2 scale F4U 30 years ago. He worked for Skunkwerks. Who knows? You may have met him!

Carl there's always ultralights. No license needed. :) Several of my friends who fly them have tried to get me to build one... Something to fly in the interim. Just look out for all of the traffic in your area. It's amazing how much Central FL has grown RE controlled airspace and traffic. Sadly I think we are seeing the end of general aviation. My generation is probably the last to truly enjoy it. The last time I flew the Stearman it was $180/hr. (7yrs ago) Now with aviation insurance rates/availability being what they are I might be able to get checked out in a Cub for that much $$/hr!! (It's probably closer to $150/hr)

There's a P-51 which is available for rides in Kissimee. http://www.stallion51.com/ Even though it's $1600+ per hour it would be well worth it. :)

RE Wifey.. She takes her "vitamins" regularily. Believe me I've really tried the few times she's slipped and forgot her prescription. :):)

Cya,

Jim

I flew with my Dad growing up....He owned 2 different Navions, 2 different 310'S , 2 different Twin Bonanza's and a Beech Barron, We had a friend in Georgia that owned 2 B- 26's , a Bearcat, and a P-51 at the same time. We used to tell him that all he needed to do was find " a weak country"? What's in your hangar?