IGNORED

What's in YOUR garage?

Arne

That poor Ken & Mary Skyline

Stop whining!

There are quite a few out here in Aus, most are rusty bombs or hacked up with different engines in them. There are a few nice original ones with old grandmas still crusing behind the wheel though.

I bought mine without the roof anyway so it was only fair to finishing the hacking up properly LOL

Anyway it's been built so I can just change over the crossmember and a RB26/RB30 will bolt straight in with only a gearbox mount and tailshaft mods.

I bet you wouldn't complain if it had the RB motor in it.

Julio, Ttiger and Steve....Much as I like to dream - I do know the rules of life, and although I'll never admit it, my wife will likely get "her" garage space back... at least for the winter months.

My garage isn't insulated, so the likelhood of me doing any work is pretty slim...(see I've justified it already!!)

GWGarrard

Haha 240k :)

The C10 and C110 skylines are my dream cars!!! One day.

There is a C110 for sale right now on from one of the members of this forum in the states.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=32004

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=320304104336

If you have the cash that day could be very soon ;);)

Glad to hear you approve of the RB option I've left myself open, I figured if I ever sell it most people would want that engine in it.

In my garage :

White 72 240Z (second owner)

BRE Baja Z (third owner)

Metallic Blue 72 240Z (original owner)

My wife's 91 Thunderbrid Super Coupe (original owner, 9K miles) Super-charged with inner-cooler, full independent suspension with adjustable shocks, 4 wheel disc brakes with anti-lock, posi rear end and "V" rated high speed radials.

Either I need to seriously clean out my garage - or most of you guys need to accumulate for more important junk!!

My garage is 42' by 24', the doors are oversize 18' in front and the rear is 16'. When the garage was empty of junk - I could easily get 7 cars in... But it was actually planned to be a 4 car garage. The 18' doors were intended to allow a couple extra feet between the cars...

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150804698158_thumb.jpg

post-3609-14150804698815_thumb.jpg

In my garage :

White 72 240Z (second owner)

BRE Baja Z (third owner)

Metallic Blue 72 240Z (original owner)

My wife's 91 Thunderbrid Super Coupe (original owner, 9K miles) Super-charged with inner-cooler, full independent suspension with adjustable shocks, 4 wheel disc brakes with anti-lock, posi rear end and "V" rated high speed radials.

Either I need to seriously clean out my garage - or most of you guys need to accumulate for more important junk!!

My garage is 42' by 24', the doors are oversize 18' in front and the rear is 16'. When the garage was empty of junk - I could easily get 7 cars in... But it was actually planned to be a 4 car garage. The 18' doors were intended to allow a couple extra feet between the cars...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, I would give my left lugnut for a garage like yours :)

Carl,

You may have told this before, and I don't want to hijack the thread, but how'd you score the BRE Baja Z? What's the story behind how / where you found it, what condition, etc.

It's long been a dream of mine to own a significant racing vehicle with provenance (primarily a classic F1, IndyCar or 60's era slingshot dragster), so I am curious!

Hi MEZZZ - Thanks, like anything in life, if I had to do it over I'd make some changes, but overall I've been very happy with it.

Hi rdefabri - the BRE Baja Z was really just plain old "good luck" and "good friends"..

Long Story Made As Short As Possible:

I had been a fan of Peter Brock's designs since he pinned the Cobra Daytona Coupe. That admiration was farthered when I found out that he had pinned the original design at GM for the Corvette StingRay in 1957.

When he turned up with his own Racing Team/Shop BRE in California - I started following DATSUN in both SCCA and Off-Road events. Of course when I bought my first 240-Z in March of 1970 - BRE was already preparing a Z for C-Production

I knew that BRE had prepared 2 Datsun 240-Z's for SCCA's C-Production and that BRE had prepared one 240-Z for the Baja.

I knew that the #46 Car had been totalled, and that the #3 Car was restored and entered in Vintage Racing events... but was always keeping my eye out for the Baja Z. I thought that with the Internet sooner or later I'd hear something, from someone.

In 1998 Les Cannaday and I were discussing the beautiful restoration of the #3 C-Production car that Gerald Mason and his son had done, when the subject of the BRE Baja Z that Peter had built and drove himself came up. We were at the Induction Ceremony for Mr. K's induction to the Automobile Hall of Fame, standing around talking when one of the early Salesmanagers for DATSUN USA came up and joined the conversation. He remembered the Baja Z - and had helped Peter sell it when BRE shut its doors. He remembered that a Doctor had bought the car in the L.A. area - but couldn't remember his name. He said he'd check his files.. and get back with us.

Les and I kept looking, asking anyone that had been a Datsun racer if they knew anyone etc etc.

Les called me one night - to tell me that he had found the Baja Z. I thought he was calling to razz me and gloat... as good friends will do as the occasion calls forLOL... Instead he was calling to tell me that his shop was completely FULL, and he was behind on too many customer projects - - Sooo if I wanted the car, he'd put me in touch with the owner. He did that, and he went to pick the car up for me and had it at his shop, to get it ready for it's trip to Florida...

We both looked actively for the Baja Z for several years - and in the end it found Les when the owner contacted him about selling it.

A side story as well - When Les called to tell me the car was for sale - and told me he'd put me in touch with the owner - I turned to my wife and said; " hey honey, do you have any cash?".. She said; "what for?"... I replied that Les had found the BRE Baja Z, and if I wanted it I needed to send a cashiers check to California the next day. She said; " yes, sure.. just tell me who to have it made out to and for now much, I'll stop by the bank in the morning":love:.

I still haven't given her cash backROFL.... so around here we refer to it as Vicki's Z.

It was actually in pretty good condition - only 13K original miles and completely rust free. The original owner had painted it Silver, put a stock interior back in it, put the stock gas tank back on - but left all the competition parts in place. He put a stock hood, and bumpers back on - to make it a street sleeper. He raced for a year, then street raced it for a couple more before storing it away..

The restoration took me about four years total... had to find the original CIBIE Super Oscars, had to duplicate the 26 gallon fuel cell, had to find the American LeMan's wheels - all of which the original owner didn't keep... they just took time and money.. Other than that, it was just a matter of rebuilding everything. Peter and Gayle were most helpful by sending photos and spec's from his personal archives.

I have to say that finding it, restoring it and owning it are for me - the pinnacle of Z Car-doom. The Baja and off road racing was Peter's favorite form of competition, the Baja Z is one of only two BRE Z's left in existence and it is the only one that Peter drove himself. Plus it is just unique enough to be really fun... one of a kind piece of Datsun Z History..

FWIW,

Carl B.