IGNORED

L24 performance upgrades.

tabrinn

Julio- The reason I asked is because I'm building an L-24 with some "juice" right now. We used the E-31 head, 260z exhaust valves and 1mm oversized intakes. The cam is an Isky stage II with new rockers to match. The block is bored .040" oversize. We should be running 10to1 compression ratio. Can't wait to put her in the new restoration which I hope to be finished by Xmas. Let me know if you get further details from Dave. Thanks Guy

Based on your description, sounds like you should produce similar HP.

My guess is your E-31 head will be comparable to my Rebello E88 "touring" head, especially with your more aggressive cam.(Think I have a stage one, but have to verify w/ Dave).Our compression "target" was 9.5:1, to allow use of mid-grade gas, but I told him 10:1 was OK.That's one of the follow-up questions I have for Dave.For my intended usage, 10 cents more per gallon for premium gas is not an big issue.

What are you doing for the fuel system? My understanding is that the stock carbs are good to about 200 HP, and re-jetting can buy you a bit more. From what I've read is that beyond that, you need to upgrade.I'm sticking with the stock exhaust manifold, but going with 2" or 2-1/4" exhaust pipe. Dave gave me a larger downtube, (the one he used on the dyno), to help with the exhaust flow.

Julio- I'm running new Z Therapy carbs with SM needles in all three of my Z's The L-28 with Stage III Isky , shaved .080" and shimmed should be running 225 h.p. It's a rocket and has no problem with stock carbs and SM needles. I'm running stock manifolds on each engine with 2 1/2 " pipes. Can't wait to see how the L-24 performs, but the L 28 is a ball! Guy

• 4 weeks later...

Julio,

I am also looking into the 2.7 rebuild from Rebello. Did you get your motor installed? How does it run?

What was the turn around time for the motor rebuilding?

Are you running the original four speed--or a 5 speed? Do you see any need for a limited-slip diff.?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich,

It's not running yet. In fact, I just installed the engine yesterday. Here's some pics...

Since I missed my October "target" run date, I'm not working as hard on getting her done. Plan to have her finshed by Spring.

Next comes the tranny, but I have a small problem I need to solve first.

post-15388-1415080500069_thumb.jpg

post-15388-14150805001248_thumb.jpg

I have been following along and I hear a lot of positive comments on the Rebello motors. I see they offer this:

The "Purist" 2.7 Z-Car

This setup uses your existing 240Z engine so your numbers match. The motor has a big bore, long-rod combination and the E-31 or E-88 cylinder touring style head from your stock 240Z engine. On pump gas this motor produces 240 HP with SU carbs or 270 HP with tripple carbs (as shown).

Any ball park idea what something like this would cost? Or are there to many variables with out being specific?

I have no engine experience and it's time for a rebuild.

Julio,

I am also looking into the 2.7 rebuild from Rebello. Did you get your motor installed? How does it run?

What was the turn around time for the motor rebuilding?

Are you running the original four speed--or a 5 speed? Do you see any need for a limited-slip diff.?

Thanks,

Rich

Rich, I just realized I didn't answer all you questions...

Turn around time varies with how busy Rebello is, like just before the Nationals, they are really busy. Mine took about 4 months, but I gave them a target date based on when my chassis would be ready.

I'm going with the original 4-speed and diff, but may install a 5-speed set-up in a few years for better highway driving.

I have been following along and I hear a lot of positive comments on the Rebello motors. I see they offer this:

The "Purist" 2.7 Z-Car

This setup uses your existing 240Z engine so your numbers match. The motor has a big bore, long-rod combination and the E-31 or E-88 cylinder touring style head from your stock 240Z engine. On pump gas this motor produces 240 HP with SU carbs or 270 HP with tripple carbs (as shown).

Any ball park idea what something like this would cost? Or are there to many variables with out being specific? I have no engine experience and it's time for a rebuild.

Mine ran about $3800, but varies depending on what you have done and the condition of your carbs, head, etc. There are also some options for compression ratio, cam, carburation dyno tune, etc. Your best bet is to call Dave Rebello and have a short conversation with him. Define what your usage will be, (mostly street, autocross, track), and let him help you decide what the best package would be. Also, above 225 HP, you might want to add some additional frame welds / stiffeners to handle the extra HP.