IGNORED

Emblem Location on Rear BRE Spoiler? _ Poll

Oiluj

I can't believe I'm going to say this, as I have a pet peeve about 240Zs with no emblems. But on that BRE spoiler with no flat mounting surface, I'd leave them off.

Ha! That's how it starts...before you know it youve maxed out with 35 modifications. That's what's happening to me anyhow.

Seriously, unless the cars sent to us in North America were originally equipt with the rear spoiler, which they weren't, what emblems you use or where you put them is just a case of what an individual thinks is the best look.

There are actually three different rear spoilers being discussed here. So the first question is, "which one do you have?"

1. An original Nissan OEM rear spoiler

2. The aftermarket reproduction of the OEM rear spoiler {produced most recently by Classic Datsun Autosports - Les Cannaday}.

3. The BRE style rear spoiler - also reproduced most recently by CDM/Les

I count at least five different types being discussed here.

There was more than one type of 'Nissan OEM' spoiler, and three of them have been pictured on this thread already. Count the sub-variants of those ( some of them even made without raised flats for emblems, and both with and without pre-drilled emblem mounting holes ) and start multiplying.......

No.

What's the pet peeve, Arne? You like the emblems or shaved?

To the best of my knowledge, all the Nissan spoilers were made with the same material as the headlight scoops - fiberglass reinforced plastic. The ones I have seen are heavier and quite substantial. I believe the BRE type are made with fiberglass cloth and a resin gel-coat.

What's the pet peeve, Arne? You like the emblems or shaved?
I like the emblems, and think they are an important part of the car. Can't understand why someone wouldn't want their car to wear its emblems proudly. They say, "Yes folks, I am a Datsun 240Z." Let's face it, many young people today don't recognize the cars, and don't know what they are. The emblems are necessary.

IMHO. ;)

I agree. Evidentally, my car had the emblems removed by the dealer, or whoever the dealer subletted the job to, in order to put the BRE type spoiler on it. I just spoke to the previous owner, who bought it new, and he said that's how it was when he took delivery, rear spoiler, window louvers, dual mirrors, 'BPE' wheels, and aftermarket ARA air conditioning. Apparently, they filled the holes and spot painted or repainted the deck. I couldn't tell which and I've since had it repainted. Rather ambitious for a 'dealer installed' mod. When I bought it, the emblems were in the glove box, pins intact. I removed the pins and mounted them on the deck with 3M Automotive Acrylic Plus Attachment Tape.

There are actually three different rear spoilers being discussed here. So the first question is, "which one do you have?"

1. An original Nissan OEM rear spoiler

2. The aftermarket reproduction of the OEM rear spoiler {produced most recently by Classic Datsun Autosports - Les Cannaday}.

3. The BRE style rear spoiler - also reproduced most recently by CDM/Les

The first two will have the raised flat area - intended to hold the emblems, the third type will not have the raised flat area. If you have the #3 type, I'd leave the emblems off, as it is hard to mount a flat emblem on a curved surface.

Carl, the "BRE" spoiler is a copy of the Nissan Z 432 spoiler. Which is currently available from Classic Datsun Motorsports. It does have the flat spot on the back of it for a decal or an emblem. It also has two ribs on the front side of the spoiler.

There is a rear spoiler that I have seen, that has a curved back (no flat spot) and no ribs on the front. I am not sure if that spoiler is currently reproduced.

I am not sure exactly how you come up with three different spoilers in your example above, as it sounds like one is the original and another is a copy of that same spoiler.....

It would be helpful to have a photo comparison of each spoiler in question here. Here is the BRE spoiler front:

http://www.classiczcars.com/photopost/data/500/932paint_16.JPG

Edited by ron carter

There is a rear spoiler that I have seen, that has a curved back (no flat spot) and no ribs on the front. I am not sure if that spoiler is currently reproduced.
With a molded opening for the hatch lock? That sounds like the 'dealer installed' one on my car.

I got my BRE style from MSA. It does have the molded Half-circle to provide clearance for the latch button. It does not have any forward ribs or flat on back, and the back is slightly concave. (see attached pic).

Hope this helps...

post-15388-141508045134_thumb.jpg

I like the emblems, and think they are an important part of the car. Can't understand why someone wouldn't want their car to wear its emblems proudly. They say, "Yes folks, I am a Datsun 240Z." Let's face it, many young people today don't recognize the cars, and don't know what they are. The emblems are necessary.

Different strokes for different folks. You also like the side marker lights, and I couldn't wait to get them off of my car.

;)

My goal with my car was to clean up the lines a little bit. I don't want major modifications or anything. I've got a Datsun emblem on the hood, a 'Z' vent emblem on each side, and a BRE spoiler front and rear.

It's a Datsun. It's a Z. If someone wants more information, they can try to catch me and I'll happily fill them in.

Personally I think that emblems on the spoiler would break up the lines of the car, aesthetically, and I don't want to do that. But to each his own!