IGNORED

My 1970 240Z!

ToXIc

The first thing i bought was the Haynes manual, How to restore your Z, and Datsun Engines from Amazon.com. $50.00 for all 3. I also ordered the CD from this site but I haven't got it yet.

Carfiche.com and Xenons have the FSM.

Enjoy.....

Kevan,

The plastic tank you are looking at is a fuel vapor recovery tank as part of the fuel system. The plastic tanks are fairly fragile from age, however there are metal ones that can be used if you plan to keep the system. Service manuals for a '70 are around; usually on eBay. A Haynes manual will do just as well.

Kats' car is very similar to yours. You might enjoy his site http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/ Lots of good early parts information there. Your interior quarter window trim has the screw in the door post. Is the washer clear plastic or chrome? Loved the wire from the coat hook to the shoulder belt mount! The chrome button coat hooks are early unique. Take care of the plastic strip luggage riser. It is early unique. Looks like your'e having fun!

The plastic tanks are fairly fragile from age, however there are metal ones that can be used if you plan to keep the system.

If you replace the plastic tank with a metal one I think you would also have to replace the interior plastic panel that covers that area. The metal tank is slightly bigger and requires the later panel with a bigger bump out to go around the tank.

-Mike

Kevan,

The plastic tank you are looking at is a fuel vapor recovery tank as part of the fuel system. The plastic tanks are fairly fragile from age, however there are metal ones that can be used if you plan to keep the system. Service manuals for a '70 are around; usually on eBay. A Haynes manual will do just as well.

Kats' car is very similar to yours. You might enjoy his site http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/ Lots of good early parts information there. Your interior quarter window trim has the screw in the door post. Is the washer clear plastic or chrome? Loved the wire from the coat hook to the shoulder belt mount! The chrome button coat hooks are early unique. Take care of the plastic strip luggage riser. It is early unique. Looks like your'e having fun!

The original tank is in very good shape... so i'll be keeping it...

Thats an awesome site... *drool* *drool* is that the oem engine in that fairlady?

Its a clear plastic washer... why you ask?

I had no idea about the wire... i was puzzled by it..

Dont worry i put away the riser..

my dad and I did some more work this morning... and got some good news and some bad..

the bad...

Picture021.jpg

i'll have to get a new passenger floor pan.. it rotted from the inside out..

the good...

Picture019.jpg

after taking a wire brush to the driver floor pan its in good condition..

the new shelves are filling up...

Picture025.jpg

Picture026.jpg

more de-construction pics click here..

Edited by ToXIc

what are these thingys for? (i need to find a FSM)

the red arrow..

the green lines..

the blue line..

some kinda overflow system??

The red arrow is your expansion tank, and the blue and green lines are the hoses that connect between the main fuel tank and the expansion tank.

You will want to replace those hoses. They can be bought either as generic fuel hoses, or as custom Nissan parts. I did the generic using instructions on this site. It worked but it was a pain and required some custom fitting.

If I was going to do it over I would buy the genuine Nissan parts.

Actually that goes for just about everything that I cobbled together on my car now that I think about it...

I guess after six years of making second best parts fit I have begun to see the value in doing it right in the first place. I may be a slow learner, but I can learn.

:stupid:

Pretty much the interior is done.. just got the firewall insulator and a few wires... i'll that these off after pulling the engine..

Picture027.jpg

Question 1:

Now the insulation fiber is in great shape... but here's my question..

should i use a modern equivalent or can the 38 year old insulation still work as good?!

Picture028.jpg

Took the hood off and started unbolting the passenger fender.

Picture032.jpg

Question 2:

the original headliner and a-pillar is in great shape and glued on...

i really dont wanna pull it off.... should i?

Picture029.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
what are these thingys for? (i need to find a FSM)

the red arrow..

the green lines..

the blue line..

some kinda overflow system??

It is the evaporation tank, this system is the cause of many cars having gasoline fumes inside the cabin area. This was an emissions effort. Not found on the early non American Zs. Colored hoses are not stock and if not rated for gasoline are a fire hazard.

Question 2:

the original headliner and a-pillar is in great shape and glued on...

i really dont wanna pull it off.... should i?

I would leave it in place. It can be difficult to remove without damage, replacements don't seem to have the small perforations, and gluing it back in place later is rather tricky. So if it's intact and not already coming unglued, mask it off and let it be.