IGNORED

Blue Monday: Toyota Supra DOA, FJ to Follow

Mike

08-17-2008 10:44 PM

naias2007=020.jpg

Some sad news on the new car front. Automotive News (subscription required) is reporting that Toyota is making some changes to its long term plans thanks to the high cost of gas. The company sees this as a permanent change, with prices firmly pegged at $5.00 or more by 2015. Also, the Big T intends to make offer hybrid powertrains in all of its models.

First, despite the presence of a hybrid powertrain in the FT-HS concept (pictured), which many predicted would be the next Supra, a revival of Toyota’s halo sports coupe has been killed before it even was even reborn. Instead, Toyota will focus its sports car efforts on the AE86’s spiritual successor, a lightweight RWD coupe developed jointly with Subaru. The Lexus LF-A will come in on the high end, leaving a huge sports car gap in between. Guess that’s better than nothing.

Also on death row is the only retro-styled vehicle in Toyota’s lineup, the FJ Cruiser. The current generation will be put out to pasture and allowed to live out its remaining days, but there will be no next-generation SUV based on the FJ40 Land Cruiser.

In other news, Toyota’s zombie march towards world domination ensures that we’ll never be left wanting for of sedans, SUVs and crossovers.

[Automotive News via Autoblog]

More...

The above looks awful, so I can't really lament it... Though the supra (continuing) to be gone is a shame anyway. That said, I look forward to a new Hachiroku...

I hate SUVs, but the FJ actually looks damn good and has character, which isn't to be said for most anything made nowadays.

The lineups of the Japanese makes looked so good in the late 90s :( Then one day it stopped... Hell I even miss the last Celica, a amazing looking car if I say so myself.

08-17-2008 10:44 PM

naias2007=020.jpg

with prices firmly pegged at $5.00 or more

That's only $1.32 a litre, were paying more than that at the moment in Australia with the current AU$ to US$

I'd be more than happy to run my thirsty V8 all day at that price ROFL in fact if petrol were that cheap over here I'd supercharge it in a flash.

I've paid (well Valvoline my employers have paid) $1.76 AU for a litre or $6.61 AU/$5.77 US a gallon for 98 octane, prices have fallen recently and are holding at about $1.50 AU a litre. Still, you guys don't know how good your petrol prices are :cheeky:

Actually, some of us do know how good our prices are. Still, we will complain if we want to as what you pay in Australia is really not culturally relevant to us. I am always amused when Europeans and others point out how bad they have it and mock Americans for complaining. Is that the best you have? When the prices went up Americans reacted by driving billions less miles and switching to other forms of transportation. It has had and will continue to exert downward pressure on the price of gas. That's not just complaining, that is doing something about it. What do they do in Europe and other places? They mock us for complaining and point out how bad they have it. I have heard this same song forever. Self-righteousness never changed anything. Neither will complaining about us complaining. When the price went up a dollar a gallon here, I changed my commute from switching car to car to exercise them to using my motorcycle everyday. I now pay $30 USD every two weeks for my commute compared to $50 USD per week using the cars. So I am using about 450 less gallons a year for my commute. That is just me. Believe me, the oil companies can feel that.

Heh heh heh your really passionate about this aren't you, I am always amused when people get overly excited about a thread before they have even really read the thread properly. Firstly conedodger, I never wrote anything about Americans complaining. All i said was that you guys don't know how good you've got it, it's really more of a general statement and is in no way complaining about Americans complaining, although that is quite funny.

Secondly, most of what I've said is really just a comparison of prices. I'm actually quite happy with the price of petrol over in Australia as where I live has some of the cheapest prices in the country, and I've lived in Europe and know how expensive it can get.

Thirdly, good on you for switching to a bike and making a difference. I have done no such thing, I fill up only with 98 octane premium petrol and refuse to use ethanol enhanced petrol or even 95 octane regular unleaded as my car has less power for me to play with as I drive around all day, averaging 800kms/500miles most weeks. I'm actually happy that America is getting good prices on gas as it has let America do wonderful things with V8 engines, produce them in such great numbers, so that it is cheaper for me to get an engine from the states and ship it over here than to buy one locally. Did i mention that I work for an oil company?:tapemouth

Sorry if I have wound you up conedodger as that was never my intention. Here in Australia you have to have a car or bike, as everything is so far apart and public transport is quite lame. I live 13.5km/8.38m from the city as the crow flies and it takes my girlfriend 90minutes to get to and from work on a bus and a train.

Cheers

BTW, even though your motorcycle gets better gas mileage, it doesn't mean it's better for the environment. Motorcycle emissions requirements are extremely relaxed, and motorcycles have been shown to produce 10 times as much oxides of nitrogen (called NOx) as typical cars. These NOx greatly contribute to smog, acid rain, and global warming.

Having said that, I really want a motorcycle anyway. I'm a starving student, and the fun-to-dollar ratio of ninja or gsx-r can' be beat.

The death of the FJ doesn't really surprise me. I have a Toy 4x4, so I frequent a few Toyota truck forums. They generally rip the FJ apart. Just like the 350Z takes some crap from the Z crowd, the FJ is the ugly duckling for them. It doesn't live up to the FJ nameplate in capability or ruggedness.

The Supra isn't a big surprise either as Toyota got out of the game early and stayed out long after Nissan and other got back in. They have been very conservative and cautious lately and the trend isn't likely to change in this economic climate.