IGNORED

Gas Prices Got You Down? Drive a Classic

Mike

08-13-2008 10:37 PM

hondas600.png

We’ve all been bitten by high fuel prices one way or another in recent times. Even if you take the subway to work every day, gasoline costs are buried in the higher prices you’re seeing everywhere. Wouldn’t you know it, the answer is in the classics. Cars That Matter has put together a list of popular vintage cars and their city MPG numbers. Even the lowest rated, the 6-cylinder Datsun 240Z, still got 21mpg, while the motorcycle-like Honda S800 returned a whopping 42mpg.

Of course, the trade off is that these old cars have none of the creature comforts and safety features that a modern car does. Features like sound insulation, airbags, emissions controls and safety bumpers all conspire to add weight and cancel out much of the advancements in fuel economy that have transpired over the past few decades. But in an economic climate where even Geo Metros are selling for a premium, going old school to save gas ain’t such a crazy idea and you’ll look a heckuva lot better doing so too.

[image: Honda Sports Registry]

More...

...My 280 will do a bit better than 21 around town... but it bankrupts Shiekhs on the freeway, (I informally venture up to 30) it's sinister to be able to go so many miles without filling up :devious: I wonder how good the 5 speeds must do in that case LOL

The most fuel efficient car I've ever owned is my 86 Lotus. 30 combined is common, even when you step on it a bit.

My next car (if it's not some insane Nissan/British project) will be a beaterish 80s Honda from back when companies didn't tout 30mpg as being the best they could do... But I don't know if you can call an 80s Civic hatchback a classic. It's almost logical to turn to a car from a more weightless era in these days, if fuel economy is what one wants...

jtl260z, I know what you mean, around town I average anywhere from 10-15mpg. I think its moreso relevant to weather than anything with my car since one time I got 16mpg doing donuts and another got 10mpg babying it. Oh well.

On the other hand, on a trip to Pensacola I managed an impressive 31mpg thanks to the BMW X5 and its stack of cargo carriers on top of it making a beautiful slip stream for me. :)