IGNORED

Scarab on eBay?

Mike B

It looks like this may be an original Scarab on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Datsun-Z-Series-1-OF-18-1976-DATSUN-Z-ORIGINAL-CALIFORNIA-SCARAB-CAR-153_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ6187QQihZ012QQitemZ220267073326QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Sounds like it doesn't have the original engine installed by Scarab, though. Not sure how that effects the value, or even what the value of these cars are.

-Mike

Sounds like it doesn't have the original engine installed by Scarab, though. Not sure how that effects the value, or even what the value of these cars are.

-Mike

...It would mean that I could then feel guiltless over pulling it for an L28 (maybe with a turbo to make use of the boost guage), but then again I'm a pedant and a snob :smoke:

Looking @ that Nissan door tag made me cringe. Z's gained 1000lbs in less than 8 years!
That's the GVWR. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories, as opposed to the curb weight which is the weight of a fueled automobile with standard equipment but without cargo or passengers. If you compare curb weights, the difference between a 240 and a 280 is about 380-500 lbs depending on the years compared. Edited by sblake01

Neat car. I'm not a huge fan on V8 swaps, but the Scarab just seems more acceptable for some reason. Probably the fact that it maintained the original hood line.

This one looks quite nice.

Any guess at reserve / selling price?

That's the GVWR. The GVWR includes the net weight of the vehicle, plus the weight of passengers, fuel, cargo and any additional accessories, as opposed to the curb weight which is the weight of a fueled automobile with standard equipment but without cargo or passengers. If you compare curb weights, the difference between a 240 and a 280 is about 380-500 lbs depending on the years compared.

I'll buy that. The listed max load capacity of my 71 is 420 lbs. (Which almost makes it a one person car... ) Rule of thumb is that a "series 2" (Forgive me those who know better) weighs about 2400 lbs. (curb weight)

So 2400 + 420 is 2840, which is 383 less than the GVWR shown.

The hint is that the placard shows a higher REAR wheel weight, which isn't true without passengers and cargo.

I don't know about the authenticity of the Scarab for sale on ebay. I am the second owner of an original 1979 factory Scarab. Number 153 to be exact. The manufacturing plate on the Scarab for sale on ebay does look authentic. However, unless Scarab Automobiles produced two #153 Scarabs, then someone either pulled or is trying to pull a fast one. There are a few pictures of my Scarab posted on cardomain.com. They can be found listed as a 1975 Datsun 280Z (the original donor car) under my user name scarab153. I have all of the original paperwork from the first owner, including the purchase agreement signed by Brian Morrow and dated 12-18-78. I am waiting to hear a response from the seller on ebay. I'll post again after I hear from him.

Thanks,

Larry

I like the Scarab. It's a very neat and rare modification. For some reason, however, the modifications to the Ebay car just don't look right to me. Things like the MSA air dam, blacked out window moldings, mirror emblems, BBS wheels, guages, mesh headrests, banged up rocker panels, and an ID plate that doesn't seem to fit... I just think something's fishy....