IGNORED

If You Could Design a New 240Z

doradox

In 1966 Ford had a hit with it's new Mustang. The new Mustang looks good (maybe not to everyone ;>) and is very identifiable as a Mustang. Has a performance to price ratio that's hard to beat (like in 66). What rear drive coupe can you buy for 20 grand that can touch it? They basically tried the same formula that they did in 66 and built the same car today. Ford is selling them as fast as they can make them. Nissan did in 1970 what Ford did in 1966. Can you say the 350Z is to the 240Z what the new Mustang is the old? The new Mustang is exactly the same car as the 66 model just 40 years newer. And that's why people love it.

Steve

you can't compare the Mustang with the 350Z, a 20k mustang is a grocery getter at best. The weak V6 only puts out 210 horses and handles like crap while a 28k 350Z has 306 horses and handles great.

to even compare you would have to consider the V8 model which starts at 26k and still handles like crap compared to the 350Z

you guys really need to look at the 350Z and see what it offers for the money. 306 horses, almost 50/50 weight distribution, great handling, carbon fiber driveshaft, all providing better or close performance to much more expensive cars like the Porsche Boxster, 911, S2000 and others at the time it came out.

it is disappointing to see people not appreciate a 350Z for it being a Z and continuing the Z legacy, it gives good performance and features for the price when compared to other cars out

Just my opinion here ( and we know what those are worth ), but no one is saying the 350 Z isn't a great car. But I have to agree that it doesn't really fit as a Z, in the classic sense. I mean think about 35 years from now is anyone going to pull a 350 out of a field or a barn a bring it back, I doubt it. But its not really nissan's fault. I work on cars everyday for a living and I can honestly say I don't see anything thats going to be around 30 years from now, everything is just plain cheap. Plastic intakes, cheesy interiors, and internal engine components designed to just barely get them out of warranty so you have to buy another one.

you guys really need to look at the 350Z and see what it offers for the money. 306 horses, almost 50/50 weight distribution, great handling, carbon fiber driveshaft, all providing better or close performance to much more expensive cars like the Porsche Boxster, 911, S2000 and others at the time it came out.

it is disappointing to see people not appreciate a 350Z for it being a Z and continuing the Z legacy, it gives good performance and features for the price when compared to other cars out

I haven't heard anyone knock the technical aspects of the 350z(OK well the alignment issues it had early on, and its weight), my primary beef with it is that is just butt ugly to me. You are right, Nissan didn't design it for me, they designed it for their accountants-therein is the problem, the 240z was designed to be a world class car first (granted the economic climate it was designed in pretty much took care of the bean counters). I'll also grant you Nissan isn't even close to the same company it used to be-the view is no longer people centric, it is Dealership owner centric.

As disappointing as it may be "to see people not appreciate a 350Z for it being a Z and continuing the Z legacy" it is far more disappointing to see Nissan ignore the Z legacy and build and market a car that does not belong in it.

Will

As disappointing as it may be "to see people not appreciate a 350Z for it being a Z and continuing the Z legacy" it is far more disappointing to see Nissan ignore the Z legacy and build and market a car that does not belong in it.

Will

well you could say the same for the 300ZX (Z32) not fitting in, it is heavy and was extremely over overpriced so to put it all on the 350Z is just not right

it is hard to follow first hitter homerun, which the 240Z was in all aspects, all that follow will not measure up, so they have to be evaluated on their own merit

I would agree-except the Z32 is (aside from being a beautiful car) exactly what Nissan advertised it to be. Nissan always painted the Z32 as a super car, and a worthy extension the Z lineage.

Nissan painted the 350Z as a new generation of the 240Z "sharing its DNA", "and that marketing lie is what makes my case. Look at all of the early 350Z marketing-it is all built on the lineage of the 240Z. If Nissan had sold the car on what it was, and not what came before it, they would not have gotten such a passionate response(I wouldn't have cared at all) Hopefully they have learned playing the lineage card in marketing has to hold up to a DNA test even for a chimera. Once again a father who has no resemblance to his son has to wonder about DNA.

Ebayers who take such poetic license in a description are branded bad-I get passionate about that too....

Will

My opinion is that you just can't replace the classic 240Z/ Fairlady S30 Design.

New car's are all styled to much round curves in it. To much weight also, bec all of the modern features and materials... But in the end whe are forgetting what it is all about -> the driving experience.

For instance the 240Z is lighter than a VW Golf. Sportscars..must be lightweight...not a battle ship. Loose all the unnecessary crap.. put an all aluminium block in it. Still a straight six, with DOHC head for instance. What i should do is restart the making of the old 240Z body. With modern features...everything old improved. But keep the Retro things..like the wooden steeringwheel etc.

I mean think about 35 years from now is anyone going to pull a 350 out of a field or a barn a bring it back, I doubt it. anything thats going to be around 30 years from now, everything is just plain cheap. Plastic intakes, cheesy interiors, and internal engine components designed to just barely get them out of warranty so you have to buy another one.

Yes, I agree with you.. I work as a mechanic to, but beeing a mechanic today is very different then it used to be. In the old days more effort was done and parts the normally at today''s standards will be trowen away and just simply put in a new one, where fixed. Today the costs are more important than what you deliver...

Today we live in the trow-away economy. And i think cars will get uglier and uglier, fuel economy and electronics will become more important. In the end..you don't have to drive by yourself anymore. :sick:

I would agree-except the Z32 is (aside from being a beautiful car) exactly what Nissan advertised it to be. Nissan always painted the Z32 as a super car, and a worthy extension the Z lineage.

Nissan painted the 350Z as a new generation of the 240Z "sharing its DNA", "and that marketing lie is what makes my case. Look at all of the early 350Z marketing-it is all built on the lineage of the 240Z. If Nissan had sold the car on what it was, and not what came before it, they would not have gotten such a passionate response(I wouldn't have cared at all) Hopefully they have learned playing the lineage card in marketing has to hold up to a DNA test even for a chimera. Once again a father who has no resemblance to his son has to wonder about DNA.

Ebayers who take such poetic license in a description are branded bad-I get passionate about that too....

Will

Yes, that's the crux of the matter. The 350 should have been labeled ZX.

I'm not comparing the 350 and the Mustang. Compare old to new. The Mustang DNA is there. The 350Z, not so much. And don't compare 2003 350Z prices with 2008 Mustang prices. Apples to apples you can pick up a new V8 Mustang for about 10 grand less than a 370Z.

Steve

I have owned zcars for 25 years or so and have also wanted for a modern car with the same sort of feel as an S30. The 350z does not do it for me though it seems to be a nice driving car. The closest thing I have found is the BMW z4 coupe. Similarities include layout, proportions, long hood, great inline 6 engine, simple controls, etc. Shortcomings include weight, cost, and mechanical complexity that is unavoidable with all modern cars.

I just happend to catch this on youtube. I like the concept except for the exhaust on the back end. (fugly) The exhaust should be vented out behind the rear wheels (on the side) with a stealth style slotted vents. Oh.... and the exposed windshield wipers need to go under the hood.

:ninja:

Enjoy.

Edited by AggieZ

That's more like it. By the time it was toned down for production I think it would suit my taste better. Definitely has the 240 profile going on. The front end, a little "boy racer" for me, would have to succumb to the realities of safety regulations but I bet something decent could come out of it.

Steve