IGNORED

Electro-Plating Tailight Trim?

Oiluj

I think Zeddsaver will probably be at the Canby show this weekend. If so, I'll post some pictures of his work afterwards. I am wondering if he does true electroplating of the plastic though, and not the vacuum metalization process that does not hold up well on exterior parts.

-Mike

Zeddsaver did the taillight trim for Jim (a7dz). I haven't seen the results in person yet, but Jim told me he is happy with the result. I'm looking forward to seeing the trim on Jim's car on Sunday. (Along with the rest of his car, too.)

Mike, did you decide if you are bringing one of your cars this weekend?

Mike, did you decide if you are bringing one of your cars this weekend?

I think I'm going to try to bring #32. It has a pretty big crack in the dash, but I have a couple of uncracked series 1 dashes, so I am thinking I may try to swap it out tonight. My antenna mast cable also broke last weekend, so I am going to try to swap that out too. It could be a long night tonight.

-Mike

Here's some of the finished ones.

Those look nice!

Based on responses here so far, it's looking like we won't get the volume of parts required to get a price break. My guess is we'd need 20 parts to get a reasonably discounted price. Perhaps that will change after people see Zedsaver's parts at the show.

Two of my trim pieces can be polished up acceptably, (though not as good as new chrome). If we don't get enough interest, I'll just polish-up my best set and get the other set electroplated.

I also have a bunch of 260 and 280Z taillight chromes that could use replating. Cause I know the 260Z in my driveway could use some new chrome.

I've noticed that the 260 and 280Z chromes desintegrate much easier than the 240Z trim, due to very this plating.

Dave.

Oiluj---

I am interested but, want to wait until someone confirms with pictures the quality of Norm's work.

I've had 2 sets of metal emblems restored by him but haven't seen or received them and that's been since January.

SOOO----I am on pause here until someone shows the finished goods.

YMMV

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny:

I looked but didn't see Norm from Zeddsaver at Canby this year (at least on Sunday). He does have a set of taillights on ebay right now that he restored. I'm attaching a couple of pictures from his ebay ad and from his website. The chrome part looks good, and I think it is actually electroplated plastic, but the buildup process that he uses to be able to plate the plastic makes the finished item very thick and it loses all of the fine details. Look at the black center section of the taillight trim carefully and you'll see that all of the ridges have been completely filled in. I am also attaching a picture of his restored glovebox emblem. Compare how thick the chrome lettering is to an original and you will see the difference. I can post pictures of what unrestored originals look like for comparision if that would be helpful.

-Mike

post-9102-14150803623098_thumb.jpg

post-9102-141508036232_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803623289_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803623527_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150803623907_thumb.jpg

I looked but didn't see Norm from Zeddsaver at Canby this year (at least on Sunday). He does have a set of taillights on ebay right now that he restored. I'm attaching a couple of pictures from his ebay ad and from his website. The chrome part looks good, and I think it is actually electroplated plastic, but the buildup process that he uses to be able to plate the plastic makes the finished item very thick and it loses all of the fine details. Look at the black center section of the taillight trim carefully and you'll see that all of the ridges have been completely filled in. I am also attaching a picture of his restored glovebox emblem. Compare how thick the chrome lettering is to an original and you will see the difference. I can post pictures of what unrestored originals look like for comparision if that would be helpful.-Mike

Mike,

I'm not surprised at the loss of detail. It's almost impossible to remove the old chrome, (unlike metal parts), so some build-up is to be expected.

I think I'm willing to trade that loss of detail in the flat black middle section for shiny, unpitted chrome.

Mike,

I'm not surprised at the loss of detail. It's almost impossible to remove the old chrome, (unlike metal parts), so some build-up is to be expected.

I think I'm willing to trade that loss of detail in the flat black middle section for shiny, unpitted chrome.

Actually it is very easy to remove old chrome plating from plastic parts. Just put them in muratic acid and the chrome will dissolve over several days. If you are satisfied with the loss of detail, then go for it, but I will be holding out for something that is more original looking.

-Mike

If you saw what Norm started with on my cores you would be amazed. The detail in the black was gone before he started. I was happy the day I unpacked them and I still am today. He did have a little bit of a challenge getting the left one to plate do to the years of exhaust fumes and smoke rolling over it. They are shiny they are done and they are mine.

post-1188-14150803625323_thumb.jpg

post-1188-14150803625882_thumb.jpg