IGNORED

Sneak peak of the 2009 370Z

Nissans requirement: The 350Z must have economies from shared parts in the vast majority of the parts bins-meaning it must be derivative to the majority of the car line that accompanies it out of the exetuive bored room meetings.

Will

So very true. It is a necessity, to insure the profit margin that is desperately relied on to fund day to day operations of the company and also be seen as profitable by the shareholders. It is a whole new ballgame today with so many different automakers competing for the same piece of pie. From concept to launch, every new model has to pass the scrutiny of first, the corporate boardroom and second the intended markets. The concepts we first see are usually fresh and appealing. They instill desires in a wide cross section of the buying public. These concept vehicles are used as gauges to measure the feasibility of committing the resources needed to bring a new model to fruition. What starts out as a “I’d buy one of those” when seen for the first time, is slowly, methodically whittled down by the entire gammit of decision makers, none of which wants his head on the chopping block for making the decision his superiors in the corporate structure would see as detrimental to the company’s bottom line. In essence, the final product is the result of thousands of compromises, deemed to be a welcome addition to the lineup. What percentage of today’s buying public do we, as classic sports car enthusiasts make? My guess is, not enough to go out on a limb and gamble the farm on. Yesterday is gone.

I'm not looking for a retro z, ain't gonna happen. Besides, if that 'styling excercise' (that has now been pictured way more than necessary in this thread) was ever built, I doubt that it would be what you'd consider 'affordable' which was one of the selling points of the original car. I had one but that was 1970 and, like they say, 'you can't go back'.

I have to agree. Nissan and Japanese car makers never really like to look back. I think that is admirable in a way....Always looking forward.

• 2 weeks later...

The 370z looks awesome. I have never been a fan of the 350z at all, and I know that the 370z changes are not very drastic, but it does it for me.

Also, I like how the 370z is going back to the roots of the 240z. Tons of power (3.7L said to have near 350hp but at least more then the G37 at 330hp) some 200lbs lighter now weighing in just a hair over 3000lbs, and is shorter then the 350z but still has the same interior space.

This is a Z car that I would love to own, and have only said that for the Z cars from the 70's and 80's. Been a long time, and I am happy for this Z.

With how successful the GT-R is, and how all of their redesigns are turning out, the 370z is going to be freaking insane I think. Especially if they carry over a lot of the GT-R features. Handle awesome, and even though you only have say 340hp, you perform like you have at least another 100hp under the hood and offer this at a discount compared to the direct competition.

It is sort of bad news good news though. The 370z base price is supposed to be up in the $30k, though there are rumors out right now that Nissan is in the makes of a new SX vehicle for the smaller, more efficient and cheaper coupe.

I would think maybe a 170hp 250sx, and a 200hp 250sx. Then there could also be a 180sx 128hp or a 140hp 200sx unless Nissan is going to be revealing or bringing some new 4 bangers state side.

Yes, don't worry as of yet. The rumors also include it to be RWD!

God is that ugly. I really was considering buying a new one just to have as a toy. On top of that, they're charging more for it? This is a perfect example of companies ruining the essence of a car. What starts out as a raw sports car gets fat and expensive and becomes a grand tourer. I looked at an M3 yesterday. You can't touch one for less than $70k...the previous one was about $48k. It's still a hell of a car, just not what it used to be and too expensive for what you get. Even in common cars, the new Civic is bigger than an 80's Accord.

God is that ugly. I really was considering buying a new one just to have as a toy. On top of that, they're charging more for it? This is a perfect example of companies ruining the essence of a car. What starts out as a raw sports car gets fat and expensive and becomes a grand tourer. I looked at an M3 yesterday. You can't touch one for less than $70k...the previous one was about $48k. It's still a hell of a car, just not what it used to be and too expensive for what you get. Even in common cars, the new Civic is bigger than an 80's Accord.

What? Cars getting bigger and heavier as they age? Well, (smacks self in the forehead) I never HEARD of such a thing. SURELY that wouldn't happen (cough, S130) to the (cough cough Z31) beloved Z, now would it???ROFL

Kidding of course.

That's why the S30, the E30 M3 and most 1st gen sports cars are looked at as the "essence" of the designer's intent before marketing got a hold of it. Then they add bells and whistles to widen the appeal, then more power to offset the weight gain, etc etc.

I kind of like the flared rear fenders and the S30-esque quarter window, and the engine sounds like it's got a lot of potential too. (just trying to find something positive)