IGNORED

Installing the GEN II Mini A/C into my 240

Derek

Hi very detailed information. Thanks

Will the zx mount fit the L28 block?

I just enquired from dealer in Australia and the person said the GenII is for LHD and will not work on RHD cars! I said what if you reverse the fittings , meaning the defroster vents facing the driver and fan outlets on left, and he said that will not work! I am puzzled?? Any comments?

Think the best combination of mounts is what Derek has plus sanden pump, the two adjustable extensions save on additional pully.

Hi very detailed information. Thanks

Will the zx mount fit the L28 block?

The ZX came with an L28 and actually the mount lines up on the L24, L26, L28, L28E, L28ET mountings-I don't know about the L20...

I just enquired from dealer in Australia and the person said the GenII is for LHD and will not work on RHD cars! I said what if you reverse the fittings , meaning the defroster vents facing the driver and fan outlets on left, and he said that will not work! I am puzzled?? Any comments?

That sounds more like a case of it is easier to say "no" than have to explain... It would seem to me that simply turning the assy around could be accommodated with some creative plumbing, and a desire to make it work.

It is easy for an un-motivated expert to say anything won't work!

Think the best combination of mounts is what Derek has plus sanden pump, the two adjustable extensions save on additional pully.

I am going to see about an adapter to make the ZX mount work with a Sanden compressor.

Will

Hi hls30, thanks, seemed that we do have to work ourselves out.

I think I shall use a paper card board to first locate the holes on the engine left side., then get an iron or aluminun plate , sort of rectangular, have the four holes located and drilled. Then get the two slightly curved adjustable metal piece, postion the sanden pump to align with the main shaft pulley, weld those two pieces on. then the mount done.

Now that's easlier said than done.

Firstly where do I get the two curve pieces?

Secondly how do I align the pump?

Thirdly what size screws fits the four holes ?

And BTW since the outlets from the GEN II is oval how do these attach to the round air vent tubes of the two side vents?

PS I am just a normal person who has ability to tighen or loosen simple screws, the cutting and welding bit had to be taken to machine shops, still a lot cheaper than asking the A/C shop to frabricate mounts!

I believe that you should have suggested simply rotating the GenII 180 degrees, then mounting it on the firewall above the transmission tunnel. That way there would be no need to modify the unit itself.

The round air ducts are soft plastic - they fit right over the oval outlets on the evap. unit. You want to make sure you tape them in place, then put a very small screw through the air ducts into the outlet on the unit.

FWIW,

Carl

The soft aluminum worked great. Derek

Derek,

What aluminum tube lengths did you order / use? I'm about to place my order, but my car is at the body shop so measuring is somewhat problematic.

Thanks,

Julio

Derek,

What aluminum tube lengths did you order / use? I'm about to place my order, but my car is at the body shop so measuring is somewhat problematic.

Thanks,

Julio

Here you go.

12574-VCS

#10 fittings - 72 ”long.

12561-VCD

#8 fittings - 60 ”long

12548-VCL

#6 fittings - 48 ”long.

The #8 line runs from the condenser to the compressor. This is if you have the condenser ports on the right hand side .

Derek

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...
  • Mike featured this topic