Sign in to follow this  
z2b

hood vents

Looks like this is turning into a "fuel vapor lock" thread.

I am looking for some guidance on some hood vents. I bought a used hood from a guy that swore up and down it was for a '71z. I don't believe it is b/c it has two plastic louvered hood vents. Not wanting to argue with him, and b/c it was better than my smashed up hood from the P/O, I purchased it anyway.

Anyone with first hand knowledge please chime in; This hood has a metal deflector pan under (engine side) one of the vents while the other side sits open to atmosphere. Is it supposed to have a metal deflector pan under both sides or just one? Does it have a practical purpose?

I will post some pictures later today or tomorrow to help with id. Thanks in advance.

al

That's a 77-78 hood but it will fit your car. Only one metal deflector on the side that would have fuel injectors. The other side doesn't have one.

Thanks. I thought as much. I'm just curious as to "why" only one side has the metal deflector. With FI I don't see a need for it.

Thanks. I thought as much. I'm just curious as to "why" only one side has the metal deflector. With FI I don't see a need for it.

Just a SWAG, but probably to keep rain from getting into the FI plugs.

Obviously you mean without FI you don't see a need for it but remember that's also where your carbs and air cleaner, etc. are.

Yes, you are right. Carburated engines are more suceptible to water damage. Which is why I see absolutely no need to have them with FI. I'll chalk it up to Nissan wanting variety in the model year (parts is parts and they cost $).

Yes' date=' you are right. Carburated engines are more suceptible to water damage. Which is why I see absolutely no need to have them with FI. I'll chalk it up to Nissan wanting variety in the model year (parts is parts and they cost $).[/quote']

I think you misunderstood Stephen. And I'd say that the electronics of the FI is much more susceptible to malfunctioning from water than carbs. In all the "I washed my engine and now my car won't start" posts that have come and gone I've never seen one where the issue was that the carbs got water in them. It's always the distributor that is the problem. I'd take the shield off.

Which guy & shop? I know of 2 shops here in Houston, one I would highly recommend, while the other I would highly condemn! :eek:

Which one would you recommend?

I happen to live in houston.

The one I'd recommed is Awesome Z. Doug is a Certified Nissan Master Technician with over 30 yrs experience. http://www.awesomez.org/index.html

The one you listed is the other shop I had in mind. :sick:

I second moonpup's opinion.

If you need work done, go to Awesome Z.

If you're just looking for parts to pull then Z World is a pretty good place to go.