IGNORED

coming soon to a K near you!

khughes

Congrats Kent, your Evil Plan is almost complete ;-)

I'm guessing you plan to put the RB26 is as stock, or to the level of modifications it has currently. I cannot wait to hear the twin turbos come on power in a K. You might want to fill the boot with concrete as the RB26 lights up the rear in two wheel drive mode.

Alright, will this be the first in Oz?

ZBane, Thanks for the post, hybridz has been a great read.. there are still a few areas i think will be a steep learning curve (such as power wiring, A/C, power steering).. but there is a lot of good info there, it will help a great deal.

My New years resolution was to get the car mostly finished this year, The RB26 shouldn't affect anything too much (mounts, gearbox etc. are all the same), just a little more complicated when it comes time to fit in all the intercooler piping (still not sure how i am going to get an intercooler, A/C and Radiator in.. i hope i don't have to resort to a $$$ air to water I/C).

The RB26 will go into the car stock (so that there are hopefully no issues with engineering or EPA tests required).. but i do already have a set of N1 cam's and N1 rods.. and i have been thinking ultimately getting an N1 block, forged pistons then a couple of bigger turbos... but i have to keep trying to remind myself that these wacky plans just push the timeline out.

If i can get this thing finished before anyone else steals my idea, it should be the first in Oz, and even if it isn't.. i am really hoping it will be one of the best :)

So next, unfortunately i have to atleast chip some of the crap underbody sealer off the bottom of the car (i have been putting that one off), then test fit the engine, see where all the piping goes, cut any required holes, before finally getting the rust holes fixed, and paint her.

I probably have a bit of saving to do before the repair and paint though.. so i am concentrating to get the GT in a movable and complete state (not worrying about the bodywork, just fixing the rust), so i can get that out of the way temporarily and focus on this car.

I am planning to relocate the battery (i big optima sealed one) to the boot, but i still don't think this will be enough.. maybe i will need to line the boot with lead :) the trick of having big rear passengers won't help either.. it is now a 2 seater!

oh.. i have finally started trying to fix up my website, i still havn't found a good program that presents the way i want it to.. i started trying a blog type program (it is okay, but it looks crap), but i am going to spend most of today trying a proper CMS. www.project240k.com is live though! (still a lot of cleanup to do, especially in the galleries!)

Kent,

I know it's not what you probably want to here, but if you cannot fit the intercooler day one, if you restrict the boost to 6 psi, you don't need a cooler. The downside, less power. Unless you increase the compression.

Theoretically you should be able to get 350-400 Hp @ 6 PSI running about 9.5:1.

Of course, as you increase the compression, the casual street drivability is reduced. That is: It will start to go from a puring kitten to a roaring monster in a snap. All of which tends to reduce rear tyre life.

The major problem is how you increase compression. The cheaper way is to shave the head. It works fine, but is hard to reverse. Changing Pistons or Conrods is reversable, but expensive.

Personally, I would like to see that big intercooler in the front of a K. Looking at the dimensions, I think the only way to do it is to remove the beaver panel under the bumper and fashion a new look or lip for down there.

i still have the brand new intercooler that i had for the RB25DET, it is only 450mm x 300x76mm from memory.. certainly not as big as the GTR cooler is.. this one may just fit if i can get the end tanks rewelded with immediate 90 degree turns, which should get it all contained within the bumber mount holes.. it is going to be real tight though.. and i am not sure how airflow is going to the radiator will go when it has to go through an intercooler, A/C radiator and then finally the radiator. obviously i will need to run a couple of electric fans (i am not going to run a mech. fan)

i did a bit more reading into air/water intercoolers, and as well as being very $$$ they don't seem as good for cruising around.. just short runs.. so it probably isnt the best way anyway (unless i have no choice)

You could always move the radiator into the space where your rear seat used to be and install a couple of water pumps to get it all flowing. I guess it wouldn't look so good in the rear seat but would allow you to get a much bigger intercooler in. . . . Cabin would get a bit hot and noisy though LOL

That's a silly idea now I actually think about it . . . I envisaged it while imagining my K not yours

that might work in a convertible.. buy one of the aero spoiler motors from a porsche, and you can have it pop up over 90km/h :)

i guess my other option could be to use 2 intercoolers one each side in the wheel wells (blocked off of course).. not sure how much flow you would get in there, but you could run fans behind them.. now that i think of i i have a set of these for the S4.. maybe i can use them in the K instead: http://www.evolutionracewerks.com/product.php?prodid=36

you cant shave the heads on the rb series like you can an l series to gain comp, you can only deck the heads around 15thou and thats pushing it in my opinion, rb's are an interferance motor and the valve to piston clearence is quite close standard.

That intercooler you mention should be fine as it is thicker than a GTR one, id work on fitting that before two as the plumbing will be a nightmare.

Maybe a long (not so high) intercooler down low under the bumper mounts. Then plumb it back, then up through the quarter panels. That is up where the battery used to be. That would keep the grill looking standard. But below the bumper would look mean.

Don't forget intercoolers work better painted black, not polished alloy. That would hide it as well.

But if anyone had any doubts, as soon as they see or hear you moving,

all doubts are lost ;-)