IGNORED

BRE Air dam

Blue Meanie

I think the better choice as far as period correct would be the ducted version. I've read, that to get around air dynamics rules BRE concieved the ducted version because brake cooling was allowed. The ducted version also must be more rigid in its construction adding strength. I took all this into consideration when making a choice. My Z will not be a daily driver, but only driven on occasion, when the urge arises, so wet brakes are not a concern so that didn't enter into my decision. I have an original BRE rear spoiler and I was more concerned with increasing the downforce on the front to balance the effect of the rear. As much as possible with period pieces anyhow. If I wasn't using the rear spoiler I would have went with the ducted spook. I'm a Z newb, reading & acting on what makes sense to me. Right or wrong, I'm not sure.

I only saw the MSA spook briefing so I can't say with absolute certainty, but it seems to me the BRE spook is a bit heavier and more rigid than the MSA spook. Frankly I don't think weight is an important concern for those that aren't racing. Rigidity of the structure is important to ensure proper function and mitigate cracking. Les gets many of his products made by the same companies as others, but that does not automatically mean that they are the same. I don't know how you can determine how the products are made unless you talk to Les and MSA.

Didn't realize we got a discount from MSA. How much is the club discount?

Well it would seem MSA's reason for wanting a club number has nothing to do with a club discount. They sent me a bill with the total amount including shipping and there was no mention of a discount.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention a wet brake problem due to rain flowing through the ducts. Has anyone ever verified this? It's not like there isn't any water flying around under a Z without a spook and there is a shield. If this were a true safety issue, you think it would have been widely reported and the ducts discontinued years ago.

This is the first time I've ever heard anyone mention a wet brake problem due to rain flowing through the ducts. Has anyone ever verified this? It's not like there isn't any water flying around under a Z without a spook and there is a shield. If this were a true safety issue, you think it would have been widely reported and the ducts discontinued years ago.

Probaby not a major concern for any of us. The BRE style vented spook available today is not a truly vented piece unless it is modified to be so. Earlier original BRE spooks were ducted and the airflow was aimed directly at the brakes. Logic dictates that if a wet air flow is directed to the brakes, braking performance will be affected. Maybe someone with a ducted spook will have first hand knowledge and has driven in heavy rain.

I think Ron is right. Since the modern spooks don't have the ducts completely finished, they don't aim the airflow directly at the brakes, but under the car instead. I have driven my car in the rain with my spook and did not notice any problems.

My non-ducted BRE type spook from MSA was delivered today. I am more than happy with the quality layup of this part. Good value for the money in my opinion. Can't mock it up on the car yet, it's still on the rotisserie. Fast delivery too. Sometimes it takes more than a month to get something from the western US, but that is because of our Customs Inspections.