IGNORED

$30,000 Datsun 240z's....Get yours before it's too late

mally002

Ahhh...you're both dwelling on the wrong date subject!

Per Wikipedia, "Generation X is a term used to describe generations in many countries around the world born from the 1960s and 1970s to 1982, although the exact temporal boundaries of Generation X are not well defined."

So the Gen-Xers would have reached driving age (assuming 16 yrs old) at the earliest 1976 and as late as 1998! The majority of which was long after the glory days of the muscle cars and the hoopla of the 240Z era. These were not the cars of their youth.

Wikipedia also says Aruba is in North America.No-one born in the 60's is a"Gen-Xer".

Carl,

Pics? Hard evidence? It would be nice for these to be made public to help bolster claims of increasing value.....Can't raise my agreed value with insurers based on "well, I heard of a couple that sold for over 30k..."

Of course not - - The Agreed Value on YOUR CAR is dependent upon the condition of YOUR CAR.

If you insure your Z with a Classic/Collectable/Special Interest Insurer - their underwriters already know what cars they have insured, and what the Agreed Values are. You can call the Hagetry for example and you will find that - if the car is indeed a #1 or #2 example, or if it falls with a Special Interest group (Vintage Z's Race Cars, etc) they will have no problem with an Agreed Value in the $35K+ range. They won't let you over-insure a daily driver... but if you have a real #2 condition 240-Z they won't blink an eye at $30K.

Just because it costs more to restore a car doesn't directly cause its value to increase, so I don't buy that as a legitimate singular cause of supporting the value of a particular collector car.

Agreed and I don't believe anyone said it was a "singular cause". It's one cause, others include increased demand as more people can afford to buy the cars they want, reduced supply as Collectors take very nice cars off the open market and stick them away, the devaluation of the Dollar's purchasing power....

Ultimately, it could tip the supply of restored cars toward a lower number since fewer and fewer people are willing to absorb the restoration cost, but there needs to be strong inherent interest in the car to support it's value, not simply the cost to restore.

agreed... and no one said it was simply the cost to restore...

FWIW,

Carl B.

....No-one born in the 60's is a"Gen-Xer".

From another source:

Generation X defies definition

by Jennifer Jochim, Outpost Contributor

Generation X can technically be defined as the generation following the Baby Boomers. Xers were born between 1965 and 1980, 1961 and 1981, 1964 and 1979, 1963 and 1979, 1965 and 1975 or since the mid-1960s, depending on which source you use. For practical purposes we will say that Generation X was born between 1965 and 1980, now ranging in age from 17-32 and usually judged by characteristics assigned to them by the media.

Carl is absolutely right.....Z's were not perfect from the factory. Just take a "hard righthander" in a stock Z with stock wheels ( That'll cause white knuckles ) Now add a set of Ibachs, Tokicos and some 7" rims and soft tires! That's what Morton and Sharp showed the world at Road Atlanta in the early 70's.

HI

Iam doing a big restoration on my car you can see on my others post topics. I can give you more examples of 240z on sale for a huge quantity of money.

Take a look on this link at Ebay in UK!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160212597664&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsearch%2Fsearch.dll%3Ffrom%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dm37%26satitle%3D160212597664%26category0%3D%26fvi%3D1

MY car had an offer of a real Collector in Portugal, that had already two 240z and one 260z in excellent condition, and he offers me 35000€, more or less 51.800 USD for my car when ready or finished.

He propose me more offers, like trade for Porsche 911, plus money, or some others cars and I couldn`t do it, I strated to cry when I was to sign the declaration of selling and

I couldn`t sell it, because I love this car to much!

All the money spent, all the NOS parts that are even more rare and expensive, all the help of some friends in USA, like Eiji, David Palermo, Clive Boogle and others...

So much trouble, so much details... well they are getting the value they deserve.

Europe has a few more 240z that came from USA, you are getting without them. Take care of it. it´s an advise :)

Filipe A

Wikipedia also says Aruba is in North America.No-one born in the 60's is a"Gen-Xer".

Sorry to get off topic, but...

Gen X was basically the Alternative rock generation, beginning with those of us who were in our 20's, during the 90's. At least thats how I would define Gen X, which is way more reliable than anything you can find on Wikipedia. Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, Alice in Chains that was the music of my generation. The leaders of those bands, Cobain, Weiland, Staley, were all born in the 60's. People born in the 60's are the 1st Gen X'ers.

Born in '68, and I am a Gen-Xer...Moonpup is correct, Gen-X is post Baby Boomers and generally refers to 1965/1966 or later. I grew on on Nirvana, STP, etc..

WRT the commentary here - I'm with Carl - if you can find a #3 for less than $12K, jump on it. The only thing in my mind that would keep a 240 price depressed is the sheer volumes produced. However, with rust and modification over the years, the cars are becoming more scarce. Let's not forget the Z's historical significance and certainly was a desired car by us as kids. It's no 308 (which, BTW, are starting to climb to my dismay), but it's still something many of us watched racing on TV in the 70s.

Carl, by quality of car, what's the average price in your mind? I see my car as a #4, but I see pricing all over the place...just curious.

FilipeA,

Who did the carpet pieces shown in your link? They appear to be quite good reproductions of the original loop pile carpet with the surge bound edges.

Thanks, and I just put your link in my favorites for future reference. I can hardly wait to see good pictures of the finished car.

Dan