IGNORED

$30,000 Datsun 240z's....Get yours before it's too late

mally002

Well, I'm not sure if I fall into the "genx" class, but I can say I'm 38 years young and my first cars were Datsun of some sort (510/Truck/1200/etc.) Reason? Sure I wanted a nice big block Charger or tricked out Camaro but simply could not afford one when I was of driving age. What could I afford? The clapped out, 10th owner Datsuns. Sure they were kinda beat up but all ran very good, parts were cheap and were stone ax reliable. Lots of good times were had in these "beaters". I have since been able to purchase some of those muscle cars I wanted in my youth but you know what, I enjoy the imports I have so much more. And it probably does have a lot to do with growing up with these types of cars. I really believe you will start to see the rise in value of all late 60's- early 70's Japanese cars as guys my age start to get to the point in their life that they can relive their youth (in a sense) and build up the car they had as a teenager in the fashion they would have wanted to then, but couldn't afford. Just my thought.

Mark

Ahhh...you're both dwelling on the wrong date subject!

Per Wikipedia, "Generation X is a term used to describe generations in many countries around the world born from the 1960s and 1970s to 1982, although the exact temporal boundaries of Generation X are not well defined."

So the Gen-Xers would have reached driving age (assuming 16 yrs old) at the earliest 1976 and as late as 1998! The majority of which was long after the glory days of the muscle cars and the hoopla of the 240Z era. These were not the cars of their youth.

Baby Boom Generation- Born 1946 through 1964; Generation X- Born 1965 through 1982.

Well, I'm not sure if I fall into the "genx" class, but I can say I'm 38 years young and my first cars were Datsun of some sort (510/Truck/1200/etc.) .......

Mark

Hi Guys:

I think Mark nailed it - The cars of our youth, aren't always the cars that were NEW when we were 16 to 25 years old. Most of them are the used cars we wanted, but couldn't afford. Look what the older crowd are spending on Street Rod's today - and look at what they are paying for them at auction..$60K isn't much any more...

As the Internet Z Car Club came on-line around 1987, there were two distinct groups of Z car owners sharing information there. A somewhat older group that had owned and driven Z's for years, and a younger group still in college, struggling to keep their old Z's running. To the younger group at the time, the Z was a matter of "affordable" and "fun" transportation. Today that older group is 55 to 65+ and that younger group is 38 to 45.... both are now willing and able to pay for nicer cars...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Carl, what do you figure a #2 240Z is worth these days?

Hi Arne:

A #2 condtion 240-Z would win First In Class, in the STOCK Class at a National Z Car Convention. When judged by knowledgeable judges, when no #1 car shows up. These cars (#2) currently change hands in the $25K to $30K range.

A #1 car - would be a Gold Medallion winner - and on top of that it would far exceed even the Gold Medallion standards. They would sell for $38K+ if one ever comes up for sale.

My red 240Z is a solid #3 now, and I'm hoping to get it to a #2 (or so) later this year. I figure I'll have $15-17k in it at that point.

if you can get it to that point for that amount of money - you should also get an award for personal effort. Or you were smart enough to have bought all the perfectly correct parts, years ago.... At any rate, win a First In Class at a National Convention... and you'll double your money. Hold the car for a few more years and you'll likely triple it, IF you maintain it in #2 condition.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks for the info, Carl. In reality, while it's a solid #3 now, I may not be willing to put that last bit into it to go to a true #2. Because I will continue to drive the car. So realistically, I'll probably get it to more like a #2.5. Better than a #3, but not quite #2.

But if I can get it to that condition for $17k, or even less than $20k, I'm happy.

Carl,

I should have stated that the article mentions cars that are $8-$12k today will be over $30k.

I think they might be either a little optimistic... OR they haven't been shopping seriously for a 240-Z in the past year. They might be thinking that one can still buy a really nice, top level #3 car for $12K.. I haven't seen any sell for less than $16K in the past 18 months...

A top level #3 Car would win Local Car Shows, and many State Level Shows in the Stock Class... I doubt you can buy that quality 240-Z today for $12K (if you can - DO!!).

Also, what is the biggest difference between a #2 and #3 car......Who could evaluate mine. Would it be possible to maybe have an "evaluate my ride" thread.

The biggest difference is the degree of fine detail, the level of perfection exerted to achieve "as it left the factory".

When the Judges stand with a Judging Sheet, and closely inspect every nut, bolt and hose clamp to assure they are all "correct"... every thread in the upholstery.... every square inch of paint and body work... date stamps on the wheels, original keys, documentation packages, ..... and deduct a point or two for every picky flaw... a #2 car will not lose more than 5% of the available points.

A great #3 car - won't have to have that level of detail perfection. They are judged more on an overall presentation basis. The best of the cars that show up at Local and State level events... They win their class, if no #1 nor #2 cars show up, and they come in 2nd if a #2 condition car shows up.

Most serious "Enthusiasts" see a #3 car as nearly perfect - because they don't stand with a judging sheet in hand, and closely inspect every nut, bolt and screw. Rather most enthusiasts see the car in an over-all sense. They don't notice, nor do they care if every nut has the correct marking on its head.. they don't notice, nor do they care if every hose in the emissions system is "correct"...

#1 and #2 Condition cars are for fanatic Collectors, driven by owning perfection. The usually won't buy anything any less. #3 Condition cars are for the people that love the Datsun 240-Z, know it wasn't perfect to begin with, and really never notice that someone had changed a few bolts... they just see the car as they saw it when it was new... in a very over-all sense.

Huge Gap between #1/ #2 cars and #3 or less... #1/#2 cars are close in value - but almost always twice the price of a #3 car. They simply sell to quite different buyers, or at least for quite different uses. (some serous Collectors own both types - one to keep in the living room - and one to drive).

Ask 26th Z - how pickey he can be when judging the Stock class at a National Convention.

There are alot of you guys who know so much more than me, I'd really like some opinions.....Good or Bad, it would be constructive critisism. Would that be possible based on pictures and information? If so I'll be the lab rat and post up my car........

Very hard to judge a car from pictures... but it might be an interesting thread - we can all argue about "what is correct" or not. LOL

FWIW,

Carl

.... Sure I wanted a nice big block Charger or tricked out Camaro but simply could not afford one when I was of driving age.....

Mark nailed it alright, but more with the above statement. When the automotive guru's talk about a particular generation wanting and purchasing the cars of their youth, it's those vehicular jewels that were unobtainable due to cash flow or parental restrictions (LOL).

Ahhh, yes! The 426 HEMI came out in 1964. The Hemi Charger came out in 1966. The Hemi Cudas, Challengers, and Superbirds actually preceded the 240z since Chrysler had them out at the beginning of the model year in August 69.

Ahhh,nope.Early HEMI Cudas(pre-70)are virtually non-existant and are not bringing the big bucks unless the car has history.1st gen HEMI Chargers are the least desirable HEMI car(if there is such a thing)going.

The Superbird was a 1970 model.Charger Daytona was a 69.1970 was the first year for the Challenger.

This is getting semantical as there really wasn't enough time difference to make two schits anyways