IGNORED

240z in Europe

kestone

Why they don't like snow? Because of the rust or is it something else?

I have red that people are taking Z's to a profesional Datsun mechanic, is it bad to repair the Z at a simple mechanic?

And how much does the Z cost for a year?

No rear wheel drive vehicle fares well in the snow. My girlfriend and I almost died in the mountains and this was with snow chains. However, nothing can really stand up to black ice. Really scary experience.

On the way down we hit a snowbank. We were stuck for a few hours in the snow. We witnessed 5 or so crashes as cars kept sliding down the hill. One truck almost hit my 280. I almost lost her. Luckily some locals helped me shovel my Z out of the snowbank, and pushed it back onto the icy road. We crawled down for 2 hours. Months later she entered the bodyshop.

No rear wheel drive vehicle fares well in the snow.

I guess that's a personal perspective... In my experience the 240-Z fares very well in the snow. Far better than most Sports/GT's and far better than any of the Corvettes/Jags I've had.

I grew up in Ohio - snow and ice.. were part of the normal driving conditions.

I bought my first 240Z in Spokane, Washington - snow, ice and black ice. Lived there for 4 years... Put 68K miles on my 70 Z in 18 months. Which means that most of the time was spent in winter driving conditions...

The 240-Z is a wonderful car to drive in the snow, or on the ice... you just have to know how to drive in those conditions, and have the right tires etc. The Z is light weight and fairly easy to get going - stopping on hard pack snow, ice and black ice is difficult in any car. Directional stability at speed in the Z is also pretty good if you stay on top of it.

Granted front wheel drive cars are easier to drive in the winter, likewise rear wheel drive cars with rear engines get better starting traction... but the Z's love winter driving...I've had mine to all the major ski resorts in the Pacific Northwest ... back and forth across the Western Mountain Passages too many times to count...

Personally, I enjoyed the challenge and excitement of driving in the Winter in the Pacific Northwest... Because of SALT on the roads, I hated it in Ohio...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I guess that's a personal perspective... In my experience the 240-Z fares very well in the snow. Far better than most Sports/GT's and far better than any of the Corvettes/Jags I've had.

I grew up in Ohio - snow and ice.. were part of the normal driving conditions.

I bought my first 240Z in Spokane, Washington - snow, ice and black ice. Lived there for 4 years... Put 68K miles on my 70 Z in 18 months. Which means that most of the time was spent in winter driving conditions...

The 240-Z is a wonderful car to drive in the snow, or on the ice... you just have to know how to drive in those conditions, and have the right tires etc. The Z is light weight and fairly easy to get going - stopping on hard pack snow, ice and black ice is difficult in any car. Directional stability at speed in the Z is also pretty good if you stay on top of it.

Granted front wheel drive cars are easier to drive in the winter, likewise rear wheel drive cars with rear engines get better starting traction... but the Z's love winter driving...I've had mine to all the major ski resorts in the Pacific Northwest ... back and forth across the Western Mountain Passages too many times to count...

Personally, I enjoyed the challenge and excitement of driving in the Winter in the Pacific Northwest... Because of SALT on the roads, I hated it in Ohio...

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hmmmm.......I will consider this. Granted, I am not very experienced in snow driving. I suppose my perspective would change if I was for competent in this area of Z driving. Very interesting. Thanks!

Could you be so kind and post those links, where i can order parts from?

Hi

As time goes by, I realise that parts are becoming more rare and expensive. Thanks to this group of Z enthusiasts we can afoord some parts in better condition for less price and even their help in some needs.

But here goes some links that I bought in the past, the one that I bought to many parts was MSA, Courtesy Nissan Parts and Ebay, so ckeck it.

www.thezstore.com

www.datsunrestore.com

www.ebay.com

http://www.new-datsun-parts.com/

http://www.blackdragonauto.com/

http://www.zbarn.com/

http://www.courtesyparts.com/

Them you can also check another hand full of them ... just keep searching

Fil

Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania has been Danish among many other countrys, we just keept the best:ermm:

Chris

That's realy not right. Lithuania has never been part of Denmark. I only know that Northen Estonia was a part of Denmark ir XIII-XIV century, but Lithuania never :P

I haven't got Z yet, but i'm willing to buy it, if the conditions of having a Z in Europe appears normal.

No worry about using a Z as a daily driver, it's a car, not a super car!

They do rust... as all of the cars post 1980-ish do. But it's reliable and sensible on gas... for a sport car that is!

As for the parts, you can still get lots of things trough Nissan Europe (I do!) Then, you have a huge market in UK (compared to Lithuania). You could go to the Z&ZX forum zclub.net and browse the links.

The Dutch also have lot of spares by their club...

We will be at the 24h of Le Mans with lots of 240Z, drive down there I will buy you a beer!

And maybe you have tried to ship the OEM parts from USA?

HI

If you see all my posts you will find my restoration project, and all that parts that you see, except that big part that is a new dashboard that was bought in Nissan dealer in Portugal, 95% of it was bought in USA, the other in Canada, France, United Kingdom, Australia and Japan.

If you want something, you will find it

Filipe Azevedo

Hello, is there anybody who lives in Europe and has a 240z? If so, be so kind and answer some questions. Is it hard to get parts for the 240z or maybe other nissan parts fits? And is it possible to make 240z everyday ride?

As FilppeA wrote you have many sources to get parts to your Zed.

And even from UK . Do you have Datsun 510-cars in Portugal? There are many parts that are similar to 240Z. My 240Z -72 was in daily drive during her first 10-20 years. In salt and snow. Now from April to October (about).

I have had many rear-wheel cars and I´ve enjoyed to drive them in Finnish icy and snowy roads, even rally. (The greenhouse effect has made our snowy winters much shorter)

• 9 months later...

Marius,

What part of Romania are you in? My wife is Romanian, and we travel back there a couple of times a year. We still have a flat in Bucuresti (Sector 6) and have relatives at different points around the country. I've thought of bringing a car over there from here, but have not looked into the legal requirements to do so - is that an option for you? If so, I'd be glad to help on this end if I can.