IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

• 3 weeks later...
LOL thanks Carl but it is not that good, cleaned it up and just some surface rust, still trying to find a place to clean it out, a few radiator places I called said they would clean it with water and soap :ermm:

And Bonzi here is a close up of the stamp

tn_fueltankclean.JPG tn_fueltankstamp.JPG

well it has been a sow road, trying to source all of the parts, mainly trying to get all of the fuel, vacuum and coolant hoses. here are some shots of the fuel tank after rust bullet and then after black shell form rust bullet. The black sheel is still drying so we will see how it comes out tomorrow.

fueltankpaint1.JPG

fueltankblackshell.JPG

Looks great Gus, did you find a place to have it boiled out, or did you just flush it out yourself? Keep the pictures coming...

FWIW,

Carl B.

yes, the same place that recored the radiator did the gas tank, they cleaned it, pressure checked it and sealed it. Here is the rad, already some handling damage to the fins eusa_doh.gif

radiatorrecore.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

yes the color is staying orange

In the last couple of days I got some stuff accomplished. Replaced the rear diff and tranny oil, and also got the fuel tank installed and all of the fuel lines replaced and installed, next up the cooling system, which I just have to hook up a couple of hoses most is already done, then just a few vacuum hoses, replace the engine oil and spark plugs and then see if this starts up.

SHE is ALIVE!!!!!

Well after doing all of the prep with the engine, fuel system, cooling system, new batter, spark plugs, carburetor it came time to see if everything was done properly and she would start. At first it would just crank but no start, so I noticed the fuel filter was still dry so I thought maybe the engine was not cranking enough for the mechanical fuel pump to pump enough fuel so I put some in the carburetor floats and after a couple of cranks she started.

Some of the things I found:

The idle is a little high around 1500

The coolant temp sensor seems to be bad

And out of all of the fuel components the one I didn't touch has an issue, the fuel pump had a leak so I couldn't play much more with her to find out if anything else was wrong

I am so happy, it was incredible to hear her start up and run so nicely, thanks Carl and everyone on this site

Here is a video of revving it http://www.sfzcc.com/gus/240Z/rev.AVI

Here is a video of start up and then of the leak I found, a little dark but you get the idea http://www.sfzcc.com/gus/240Z/startup.WMV

Hi Gus:

Thanks for the video's and the update.

Saving an original engine with 34K miles is well worth whatever time and money you have put into it. Now put some miles on it - 200 to 400 - to give the rings a chance to polish themselves and the cylinder bores....Fresh oil and filter - and it should be good to go for a couple hundred thousand more miles.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Gus:

Thanks for the video's and the update.

Saving an original engine with 34K miles is well worth whatever time and money you have put into it. Now put some miles on it - 200 to 400 - to give the rings a chance to polish themselves and the cylinder bores....Fresh oil and filter - and it should be good to go for a couple hundred thousand more miles.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thanks Carl, it was such an incredible feeling when she cranked up.

I did take my time and followed all of the recommendations you and others gave me and went a little further, I put in the ATF a while ago as I didn't know it was going to take so long to get it all together, so it sat with the ATF for weeks, then I turned by hand and it was really smooth, since I didn't know how much longer it was going to be I put a little more ATF in and then about a week before starting her up I put a little miracle oil in to give it a little lubrication since the ATF had probably cleaned everything away. I also had put oil a couple of times on the timing chain and cam.

Next up:

Fuel pump - I am going to check it out today before replacing it

Brakes- replace mc and wheel cylinders

Tires

and then roll.....

Congrats on your find. Looks like a great place to start. Nothing like having the Zedi Master lead you down the path to Zenlightenment. :)

thanks, Carl has been a great help from finding her to getting her running and I am sure I will continue to bug him as time progresses