IGNORED

New 240Z Owner

westpak

I have been around for a while mainly trying to drum up classic Z's for my Z club meets, man you guys are tough to get out so I figured I had to get one in order to have one at the meets.

I have been an S30 lover for decades and always wanted one, I had satisfied my thirst for Z's with a heavily modified 350Z and a slighlty modified 300Zx (Z32) and but was finally able to get my hands on a 1971 240Z. Many thanks to Carl Beck for putting up with me constant noob questions, I am sure this will not stop as I go about restoring her and will be on this board asking away.

Here are some pics picking her up

tn_HLS3022555day1a.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1b.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1c.JPG tn_HLS3022555day1d.JPG

Here are some pics of my other babies

gussiga.jpg

gussigb.jpg

Nice to see another 350Z guy over here as well. Congrats! Carl is the man when it comes to the 240Z. I had the pleasure of meeting him at ZdayZ a few years ago.

Congratulations Gus !!!! Hope to see it at the picnic in March !!!!

Thanks Alex you better make it to the picnic, I wont have this one ready so we need you to help rep the S30's

Hi Gus / Z-Speed:

We had a pretty good discussion related to Awakening A Sleeping Beauty some time ago. I'd suggest reading the entire thread as several others offered additional tips and advice.

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22619&highlight=Awakening

For What It's Worth

Carl B.

Thanks Carl, I have been reading like crazy all weekend trying to map out what I need to do.

Nice to see another 350Z guy over here as well. Congrats! Carl is the man when it comes to the 240Z. I had the pleasure of meeting him at ZdayZ a few years ago.

Definitely, I have been wanting this for quite a while.

Some items that doesn't get mentioned enough:

DRIVE the car once you have it started and running well enough to do so. If there are problems, you'll note them and can address them appropriately. If there aren't any (hopefully), then you can address anything that doesn't measure up.

Remember, the technology for this car is close to 40 years old, don't expect it to be like your 350Z. I know you know that, but you'd be surprised at the number of folks who ask how could they modify it to go 200mph if only they ....

Lastly, DON'T start disassembling various different areas all at once. It's generally very hard for even the most knowledgeable mechanical gurus here to discern what all you have done when they're trying to walk you through otherwise simple problems.

Did I mention that you should DRIVE the car first?

While my cautions may be falling on veteran ears, hopefully will help remind others out there.

FWIW

E

thanks, although I did all of the work on my 350Z (building engine, turbo install and tune....) I am not about to think I can do this restoration without some help, I will be on here constantly and will do a lot of research and reading before touching the 240Z, I am shooting for a full restoration so I will check everything twice before doing anything, you guys will probably get tired of me and Carl will block my email address and phone number.

Gus, I can't remember the VIN of your 'new' 240Z, but I seem to recall that it is about the same vintage as my red car. So if you need any help identifying something, or trying to figure out what something should look like or how it goes together, feel free to shout.

Nice S30 you have there. I know you already know but I'm going to drum it into you some more. Just make sure you drive it a lot before you pull it to bits. Rebuilds take more time than you can realise and the more time behind the wheel will help you remember why you are doing it. There will be moments you will think you are nuts for undertaking such a project but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck and don't worry about asking questions as there plenty of people who are more than happy to help.

Gus, I can't remember the VIN of your 'new' 240Z, but I seem to recall that it is about the same vintage as my red car. So if you need any help identifying something, or trying to figure out what something should look like or how it goes together, feel free to shout.

Thanks for the offer, it is 02/71 HLS30-22555

Nice S30 you have there. I know you already know but I'm going to drum it into you some more. Just make sure you drive it a lot before you pull it to bits. Rebuilds take more time than you can realise and the more time behind the wheel will help you remember why you are doing it. There will be moments you will think you are nuts for undertaking such a project but it will be worth it in the end.

Good luck and don't worry about asking questions as there plenty of people who are more than happy to help.

Thanks, no problem drum away I really want to do this right

Here are some more shots:

There is the Data Plate on the door frame, the VIN stamped on the firewall, the original window sticker and original bill of sale, I have to move some stuff to get the Vehicle Identification Plate in the engine compartment which as all of the info on it like VIN and Engine Serial number which matches what is on the Bill of Sale

tn_windowsticker.jpg tn_billofsalea.jpg tn_dataplate.JPG tn_VINfirewall.JPG

well I had some time this afternoon so put some time into the Z to remove the fuel tank. Not too hard just some really rusted hose clamps and some really old hard hoses. Now I have to find a place to clean it out, the old fuel just coated the inside and looks like varnish, good call Carl.

Here are shots of the outside and inside, the wet part is just from PB Blaster to loosen up the mounting nuts

tn_fueltankoutside.JPG tn_fueltankinside2.JPG tn_fueltanklevel.JPG

Here are some shots of the body that is normally covered by the fuel tank and looks good no surprises there

tn_fueltankbody.JPG tn_fueltankbody2.JPG

And I pull the valve cover to put some oil on the cam

tn_enginecam.JPG

Hi Gus:

Just to make us all sick - - just use some soap and water on the outside of the fuel tank - then without telling us - polish and wax it... then post another picture ;-) Rare to see a perfect tank ! Just washed and cleaned - it will be shinny black again... and smooth as a baby's but...

The float looks new - amazingly good condition..

I knew I should have just bought that car myself - heck, all you have to do is wash the undercarriage... and it will look like new. You won't find an undercarriage like that on a Z for less than $18K..

The valve train looks great.. head clean as a pin - once clean hot oil goes through it for a few hundred miles... it will look like new. Just glass bead blast the valve cover..

Keep the pictures coming...

FWIW,

Carl B.