IGNORED

Loop pile carpet, any recent purchases? (2008)

Arne

I'm getting ready to replace the carpet in my red 240Z. I want to stay with the original style loop pile carpet, rather than the more modern cut pile. So far, I've found at least three suppliers for the loop pile, MSA, Too Intense and Datsun Spirit. Has anyone bought any loop carpet from any of these vendors recently? If so, what was the quality of the carpet kit? Did it come with replacement jute?

Well, I just ordered a 5-piece loop pile carpet set from Too Intense Restoration on Wednesday so I expect to get it sometime in the middle of next week. I can post a few pics if you want when I get it. If you'e a zcar member then he offers you 10% off.

Pics? Detail of edge stitching? Presence of slots for luggage straps? Padding quality?

Thanks,

Steve

It is edge stitched and padded with a thick jute padding. Its shape is perfect for the areas it covers. There were no luggage strap slots. The quality of what I got was really good.

I checked out Les' kit at Classic Datsun while I was there on Monday...he sells the modern cut pile, which I must say was a really nice kit. I too perfer the more original loop style. I asked about it but he said he used the cut pile in the cars he did for Nissan several years ago so he only sells that. The thing I noticed on his kit was there was no slots for on the or snaps on them. I had one of those cheaper loop kits in the car before without the slots and snaps the floor mat moved all the time...it sucked. I found a set of almost worn out original type with the snaps and slots....much better now.

Just got my "Loop Pile" this week from MSA very good looking. It is edge stiched but no slots for the straps, which can be cut where needed. It came with padding but not the original rubber backing but a scrap thread/material type stuff about 1/2 inch thick glued to it. I would like to remove that and use my original jute but may be a mess removing it. It has a heavy rubber heel pad for the driver and came with a set of snaps to install where needed up front. Overall very pleased with it but won't have it installed for another month or so.

If I can get the camera to work I will post a few photos.

Bonzi Lon

The first photo shows the difference in the backing, left is original with rubber backing, right is new, both have edge stiching but a little different. I think the jute would hold up better than the thread/cloth type backing on the new.

Second photo is the passenger side that DOES NOT have slits cut for the metal hold downs near the seat edge, original DOES have the slits and are edge wrapped. I will have to cut slits and edge them myself. The snaps that came with the kit will have to be installed where needed. I'll put snaps in first then cut the slits for the hold downs. Metal clips shown for reference.

The third photo shows the new hatch area carpet and there are quite a few differences from original. The original just has slits cut (no edging) for the luggage straps near the tool boxes but near the tail lights there are slits that HAVE BEEN edge wrapped for the straps. Also the original has semi-circle cut outs that fit neatly around the fuel evaporator hoses, the new one DOES NOT. When it comes to fitment time we will see if this needs to be trimmed or it might fit without cutting and edge wrapping, I doubt as it would be all bunched up under the interior rear panel.

Hope this helps clear things up.

Bonzi Lon

post-11300-14150802286379_thumb.jpg

post-11300-14150802286712_thumb.jpg

post-11300-14150802286928_thumb.jpg

Bonzi---

Very helpful as I too am going to need carpet.

Thanks for the pictures and description----especially the mention of the metal carpet clips.

I have inquired about these clips with Arne and Charlie Osborne, but neither was familiar with them.

I have 2 but need 2 (or more) more. LOL

If anyone reading this has a line on them I'd appreciate it if ya'd give me a shout.

Again Bonzi---thanks!

This is the kind of feedback that really helps in making decisions about where to buy and what to expect!

Jim D.

"Zup" :bunny: