IGNORED

240Z " the long way to new again"

• 3 weeks later...

Now i'm getting confused.. First the previous owner sad 240Z shell with L28 engine. Now i have the engine at home hanging in the stand. It clearly says L24 engine on the block. So can somebody please help me out? I think the information Carl Beck told me was right? How far can i look back in the History of this car?

Well it would appear that you have a 1973 Datsun 240-Z, with an L24 engine. What is the engine serial number? The numbers that follow "L24"?

I don't believe that you can get any previous owner history from records here in the States. Nissan certainly won't have any files from that period either.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi Bart:

The L24 isn't out of a Datsun 240-Z, their serial numbers don't go that high. Most likely out of a later model 810 or Maxima sedan.

There aren't any codes on the transmissions - about the best you can do is to identify the type and model year range by a visual inspection of the exterior. There are drawings of each type on the Z Car Home Page.

http://www.zhome.com/ZCMnL/tech/69-83TrannyShifterDrawing.jpg

If you want to know more details you have to count the teeth on the gears in the transmission.

FWIW,

Carl B.

• 4 weeks later...