IGNORED

New Club Server

It does make you number 1 Stephen. Your posts are among the ones I look forward to reading the most. I for one have learned more than a few things from you and also from the rest of the membership. That's what makes this site so valuable to me. The vast knowledge and willingness to share it. OK, a little bit of kissing up & I picked up 2 more posts.LOL

Well, Bambikiller (R.I.P. Carl) won't be posting anymore and Keith (2ManyZs) got mad and left this site a long time ago so he shouldn't be on the list either. I guess that does make me first on the active list. I had no idea.

The list was based on recent activity (hence the omission of Bambikiller and 2ManyZs). Alphadog was on the buble with last post in 2007...

Hey Mike! I'm jelous. Can we monthly subscribers have a color too? How about.... GOLD!

Haha, actually you CAN get a red color if you do the monthly subscription. I think you are on the old system directly with Paypal, so, it doesn't reflect here.

You can do this by canceling the existing subscription directly from the Paypal website. Then, come back here and click on the support link and choose the option for monthly "recurring" support. This will then change your account status and your username will go red. :)

I'll see if I can change the status of recurring monthly supporters to another color, but, it will be red for the time being.

-- Mike

Are we running on a new server now ?

zdisease

Not yet. I ran some software upgrade yesterday. Server equipment is still coming and it should be in the next few weeks.

:bunny:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Just a quick 'bump' on this thread.... Things are a bit tight for most of us at this stage in the game, and for sure 'uncertain' for the future. Let's consider a quick donation during this season of thanksgiving to help preserve one of the things that we all enjoy and benefit from.

Mike, thanks for all that you do for us.

• 2 weeks later...

Mike, I know this is a little late to ask but why dont you host your site with godaddy or something. Then you would have less to worry about with hardware, wouldn't have to worry about redundancy or bandwith and could focus the donations on your hosting services.

Just curious if you've looked into it.

John

Mike' date=' I know this is a little late to ask but why dont you host your site with godaddy or something. Then you would have less to worry about with hardware, wouldn't have to worry about redundancy or bandwith and could focus the donations on your hosting services.

Just curious if you've looked into it.[/quote']

Hi John,

Good questions... I actually had this site hosted at Rackshack a few years ago. But, I found that server fees kept creeping up and we were outgrowing the small server we had at the time. Due to the increase in membership, site activity, and bandwidth requirements, I decided to use a real server instead of a virtualized server. One thing led to another and I found a good machine to use. After a few years using that one, the 'hand-me-down' computer started to show signs of too much age. One of my long time vendors saw the need and donated a brand new machine to our cause. We paid for a few upgrades such as hard drive redundancy and memory increases just to be safe. The server is now doing very well and we have an awesome set of engineers helping it stay that way.. :)

Long story shortened, a server like ours would cost too much money to rent from another provider. I have thought about co-locating (moving the server to a rack located at an ISP), but, that will have to wait until after the new year.

Thanks!

m

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

How do I cancel my monthly support. I hate to cancel but need every dollar for the next few months. Just retired and had a couple of expenses that were not anticipated.

Thanks, Wally

• 1 month later...

Errm... :paranoid:

As someone who does system administration and security for a living, and also as someone who has helped Mike with the config of this server and helps a bit now and then to keep it running, it would seem to be rather imprudent to post the security methods used on it here in public. Call me paranoid, but the less known about that stuff the better, in my book.