IGNORED

Poor #299: Not for the feint of heart!

Go240Zags

I agree with Steve. I have received permission from my wife to bid on this car, though I doubt I will win the auction because I'm not authorized to bid very much. If I get it I will clean it up and park it in my soon-to-be-heated garage as I assemble the parts to restore it and work on it over several years. The sad truth is that this car is probably worth more to someone who plans to flip its parts and scrap the rest than someone who is willing to spend tens of thousands of dollars to restore it appropriately.

I think that he's referring to the airdam on #248 - although I'm not sure. If so, you're welcome to you opinion.

Matches - If you would have read a little better (or looked at some of the old posts that chronicled bringing #248 back from the grave) I was referring to the fact that relative to the condition that #248 was in when I purchased it, #299 is a fairly complete car. There weren't enough original parts left on #248 to justify (financially) an original restoration.

Going for the levels of originality that many of the guys here have done means throwing down an incredible amount of money - way past what an appraisor will value the car at. I'm in awe of the level of detail that I see in many of the Z's on this site.

#299 could definitely be reborn - but be ready to drain the bank to do it! Personally, if I were going to rebuild an early Z to original status, I'd buy #59 with all of those NOS Nissan body parts.

BTW, no insult taken, none intended.

Bryan

I'll be curious to see what his reserve is. My guess is it is set too high and the car won't sell.

Does the engine number on the ID plate seem high to anyone? It looks like it says 4808 in the photo. I would expect to be more in the 2400 - 3000 range based on the data on zhome.com and my two 11/69 cars. #237 has engine #2848 and #331 has engine #2585, which shows that they are not necessarily in order, but fall into a general range of a couple of hundred.

Dumb question time: Is Blue on Blue a rare option?

Not a dumb question, Greg. According to Zhome.com, the Blue interiors were only available on '70 and '71 models and only with 903 Blue and 904 White exteriors:

Interior and Exterior Color Combinations:

1970/71 Exterior Color Interior Color:

901 Silver gray (metallic) Black

903 Universal blue Blue or Black

904 Kilimanjaro white Blue or Black

905 Monte Carlo red Black

907 Racing green Brown or black

918 New sight 0range Black

918 Sunshine yellow Black

920 Safari gold Black (#920 aka-Mustard)

Engine number 4808 does appear to be a long way off the mark, but there are a number of possible scenarios why. I believe the numbers were stamped on the cowls before the shells were assembled, in a scheduled sequence and the ID plates were not stamped with the engine number until much later before final assembly. One possibility is, the car was delayed in the system for one reason or another before reaching the motor line, resulting in a higher numbered engine being installed. A very common occurance back then, I believe.

Thanks Steve! I kinda like the blue interior. Were the seats and door panels originally blue also?

Greg,

Yes, that is correct. The seats, door panels and the rest of the interior trim including all of the "diamond" vinyl, the headliner, sun visors and all of the interior plastic panels.

By the way, time is running out on #299. Come on all you NE members, it's time to save this car! It's only at a measly $405.00 with just 1 day and 8 hours left at the time of this post.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1969-Datsun-Nissan-240z-HLS30-00299_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ34229QQihZ019QQitemZ290195360803QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW