IGNORED

240z ignition points problem

richard1

It was mentioned that the ZX ignition can fail with out notice. This true, I had one module fail on me. The engine just quit . Out of the blue. No missing , stumble nothing . I got out and took a look to see if a power lead or something was he trouble . finding all intact tried to restart the engine and she fired right up and I had no further trouble , for about 3 months. It failed again and this is when I found the problem. I changed the module , 15 min. tops. I have had no further problems . This is going on 4 years . I do keep a module for a spare in the glove box with a stubby Philips . Just in case. So far no further trouble. I used this ignition on my L-24 as well as my present ZX engine with vary good results. It is amazing how much better the engines run with this ignition. Gary:nervous:

Dualies, you'll likely get 5 different suggestions here.... so here's mine:

On my '72 (manual transmission) I use a Pertronix, and am quite pleased with the results. Installation was also very easy, and it is only a trained eye that will be able to detect that it is there.

I really don't think that there is any big difference between any of the electronic ignition choices for Z. Any of them will provide more consistent spark, provided that the distributor itself is in good shape. If you use a distributor with worn shaft bushings (either a worn ZX unit, or installing Pertronix or some such in a worn stock unit), or one with a non-functioning vacuum advance unit, don't expect much improvement. That's the often-overlooked part of this conversion. People stick a Pertronix in a sloppy stock 240Z distributor, or slap on a tired ZX distributor and expect it to be perfect. But these units still require the shaft and vacuum advance to be in good shape.

Actually, as I mentioned in a post above, I don't have any issues still running on points. But I will eventually convert to a ZX ignition, if for no other reason than stopping any further wear on my original 240Z distributor.

There ARE situations where change is forced upon you....Leaded Gas anyone? But while points may in fact be original, OEM, and "stock", so are Bias-Ply tires, DOT3 brake fluid, Lead/Acid celled batteries and non-synthetic engine oil, just to name a few items.

Hi E.

Point taken, but just so we don't mislead anyone....Bias-Ply tires were not Stock on the Datsun 240-Z in the US/Canada. I understand that certain models of the JDM Fairlady Z were equipped with them.

We are still using Lead/Acid celled batteries... even if the cell is now filled with foam, or the acid contained in a material matrix... It is somewhat amazing that hasn't changed over the past 35 years with our Z's. Or for that matter over the past 100 years...

FWIW,

Carl B.

I really don't think that there is any big difference between any of the electronic ignition choices for Z.

The big choices I see are between having an electronic trigger for the spark - ie replacing the mechanical points with an electronic trigger vs upgrading to a full High Energy Ignition system. The HEI allows larger spark plug gaps that help fire the air/fuel mixture more evenly and which keeps the plug gap's clean. Spark plug changes become 25K to 50k events rather than 6K items.

Over and above that you can go with the various multi-spark units...

FWIW,

Carl B.

To take Carls post one further..it is a simple matter to make a 280 dizzy driven by a MSD 6AL or the like.Also the box can be hidden under-hood or under the dash.Can electronic modules fail?Of course.But not with the frequency suggested here.

Points are,well....completely point-less.Dinosaur technology that has no place on a street driven vehicle in 2008.Points(vs electronic)provide poor starts,poor fuel economy,dirtier idle and erratic timing.

Saw this guy on ebay, is this the correct one to use on my 71?how can I tell if this is E12-80? I think the seller has no clue.
Right distributor, but the wrong module. It has the extra terminal on the side, which means it is an E12-93 module. It also does not have the later mounting pedestal, which is required. Your 240Z pedestal will not work.

So it is the wrong year then, I was told 79-80 distributor will work, so this is wrong year then,appreciate the infor. will keep looking

Generally the e1280 modules are clearly marked. I bought one of the dizzies like posted because I had the module, but not the dizzy. Swapped modules although haven't had the engine in car yet. Bought a spare e1280 module just in case I do run into trouble.