IGNORED

240K GT parts

khughes

that just reminded me.. a while back i bought a set of GT badges from japan and ended up getting blue ones instead of red..

the ones i have are plastic, don't have the red groove (they don't even have a groove), and the blue is a black/blue sparkle.. i presume the real GT ones are dark blue solid?

i presume these are reproductions as they are plastic, and whatever was written inbetween the posts has been scratched off

post-6769-14150801534819_thumb.jpg

Picked up the car today, and it is now safely home!

it certainly needs a bit of work to get here back into shape, but luckily nothing too major.

The car came with 2 rear panels (both with the same GL badging), 1 is a little rusty, but the other seems pretty good.. The new GT badges that came with the car seem to all be reproduction ones (2 of the GT badges like the ones posted just above, and a rear and front GT badge, but they will do for now). Door cards seem to be in good condition (although one is missing the silver bottom panel).

unfortunately it seems that lots of the original GT specific bits have gone (other than the door cards), so i would be definately interested in the dash cluster. the car came with 2 centre consoles, so not sure if one of those is the original.

it is also missing the front seats, unfortunately the set of seats out of my spares car is fabric, and the other set of vinyl seats i have, have broken springs.

Art, could you possibly send me some photo's of the interior, engine bay and exterior of your GT's?

Overall though, once the rest of the rust is cleaned up and repaired, it shouldn't take too much to get her up and running.

As others may be interested to see differences too, I'll attach pics here.

Background on badges are solid deep blue almost blue/black like the one on eBay.

Fortunately I scored a good unmolested set on one spares car because the ones in use on our road car have been 'restored' by a 'professional restorer of great experience'. Yeah, right!!!!

Front and rear badges are diecastings, side badges are metal (stainless steel) pressings for some reason.

Centre consoles are identical to early GL parts.

The basket weave vinyl on the seat is not quite a perfect match for the original but is very close.

You now have a dash cluster & facia panel - PM me.

btw, these pics are all a couple of years old. The car has lost most of the unique bits since although I have stored them.

post-10015-14150801536964_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150801537356_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150801537439_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150801537975_thumb.jpg

post-10015-1415080153836_thumb.jpg

post-10015-14150801538732_thumb.jpg

Kent,

Congrats on the pic-up. I was going to mention I still have that spare centre console for you down in my garage. But it sounds like you don't need it. There were to different consoles. The older (71/72) has the radio on the bottom and the newer (75/77) on the top. I'm still looking for a newer with the blanking plate on the bottom where the tape deck would go.

As for GT differences, I remember back in the late '80s when I was playing with my first two K's that a wrecker in Seaford Victoria had a gold GT that I used for parts. (If only i knew - $^#@$!!!) Well it had the badges but the standard tail lights. But I remember the Carby inlet manifold was different. Still a single, but tuned alot longer. The Carby stuck out from the head probably another 3-4 inches and still used a down draft.

Cannot help any further as the K I have down in the factory that has he GT badges are after markets additions on a GL.

do you know where these badges originated from? were they JDM, special or something? i find it odd that datsun would make a badge like that (unless it is from another model).

It's a facelift change just like the rest of the changes.

You could even keep hte centre DATSUN bit and source a late-model GT badge from the Arab states (remember they were always 240K GT) :)

Nothing special about it I'm afraid.

Also on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140168964749&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:AU:1123

except these are C210 (unless later C110's got those o'seas).

Please note as I posted some time ago, C210 badges will otn fit c110 - the holes and pins do not lnie up.

Check my gallery for C10/C110/C210 GT badges compared

There were to different consoles. The older (71/72) has the radio on the bottom and the newer (75/77) on the top.

Also note there are more differences between consoles - the actual angle of the bit where the radio sits is different, and the demister switch is relocated, also closer to the console box is shaped a bit differently too IIRC

Re differences in consoles:

Auto has a different opening & frame for shifter.

Early console, either manual or auto, can't safely be used with GTX style power window switch panel & switches. Later console raises these a few mm for adequate clearance to the tunnel.

There is at least one example of a really early version not having a rear demister switch at all (but then the car doesn't have a demisted back window either!).

I dont mean to hijack this thred, but can i ask if my coupe has all these things in your photos "aarc240" does that mean that it may be a gt in gl badge form? its build date is 11/73 and vin no is: 003731

I'd guess that it's just a GL done up with GT bits, probably sourced years ago from Kents new car LOL My build date is 9/73 002805 and was a GL.

I feel that all coupes are really GT's as it was just our insurance that made them be rebadged GL's. I know a few people disagree with that but they are usually the ones with a GT in their garage. You can jump on that bandwagon now kent :P