IGNORED

Recommended hardware to mount spook?

Arne

Mine is on with 4 bolts, one on each corner, and one centered between the brake duct and spook center for each side. Large fender washers on each both. Seems very stable, however, the fit is not perfect as mentioned in the other thread.

I ended up using 9 bolts, two outside each duct, and five across the front. I can see no way on my car to use holes in the back row, on my car they don't touch metal at all.

But by using 9 across the front I was able to pull it nicely snug up to the valance, Doug. I suspect you need more bolts.

post-8596-14150801276261_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801276785_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801277191_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801277598_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801277968_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801278336_thumb.jpg

post-8596-14150801278712_thumb.jpg

post-8596-1415080127899_thumb.jpg

Looks great Arne! Just personal preference, but the BRE style looks better on the 240's and the Xenon "wrap around" as I call it looks better on the 280's.
I totally agree. The BRE spoiler is a nice accent to a 240Z and it's small bumpers. But a 280 needs something more imposing, a small spoiler would just get lost under the big bumper.

Just my opinion, though. To each their own.

Looks good indeed - as does Arnie's red car - and isn't that original paint Arnie?

Something else interesting - the Spooks on this thread are ducted, but the duct portion is only the lower half. My original 1972 BRE Spook had an upper half to the ducted portion - forming a true duct. If you were so inclined, you could attach a hose to the end of the BRE duct and run that hose right up to the brake caliper. I never did that but I did keep two tennis balls in the car - if I was driving in the rain, I would jam a tennis ball in each duct to keep the water from being directed towards the brakes...

OK, cusiosity got the best of me. I checked my original BRE Spook to see how many fasteners. I bought my 4/71 240Z new in November of 1971 and installed the Spook in the Spring of '72 by carefully following the included instructions. I took it off in April of this year after the "Z" was pulled from a 15 year "nap" for refreshing.

It was held on with 9 bolts & large washers. Two bolts went into each turn signal nacel and five went through the center of the front valance in two rows (three bolts near the trailing edge and two forward near where the spoiler bends down away from the valance).

Here's what's odd. In the row of three, the center hole is an inch off-center toward the driver's side and the end holes are exactly 18" apart with the driver's side hole being 8" from the off-center hole and the passenger side hole being 10" from the off-center hole. The forward row of two holes are 9" apart and centered.

I can't believe I was so exact in my measurements, yet the center hole was exactly an inch off center. I know I went by the instructions and probably still have them somewhere. Was there a factory drain hole in the front valance that was used as the 1st off-center mounting hole? I can't tell by looking at the original parts, but the off-center hole in the Spook looks cleanly drilled and perfectly round, unlike the rest of the holes that I probably drilled at the time. I seem to remember that there was a pilot hole to use and then work out from there for the rest of the mounting holes - but that was 35 years ago and my memory storage has been full for quite some time. It i s, however, an original BRE Spook and I installed it in my driveway all by myself. Those were the Good Old Days!

Dennis

1971 240Z Original Owner

Looks great !!!!! Where did you get the spoiler from ??? MSA ????
No, I got mine from Les at Classic Datsun. The MSA units are cheaper, but Les apparently owns the original BRE molds, and I decided to pay the extra, assuming the original might be better. Can't say whether that is true or not, as I've never seen the MSA part in person. I can say that I am happy with the workmanship on the one I got, but perhaps the MSA part is just as good. Don't know.
Looks good indeed - as does Arnie's red car - and isn't that original paint Arnie?
Yes, original 905 red faded until it is indistinguishable from 110 persimmon red. It's fairly presentable, and will have to do until the yellow car is finished and sold.
Something else interesting - the Spooks on this thread are ducted, but the duct portion is only the lower half. My original 1972 BRE Spook had an upper half to the ducted portion - forming a true duct. If you were so inclined, you could attach a hose to the end of the BRE duct and run that hose right up to the brake caliper. I never did that but I did keep two tennis balls in the car - if I was driving in the rain, I would jam a tennis ball in each duct to keep the water from being directed towards the brakes...
I thought about the duct issue and rain here in Oregon, but the ductless version isn't available from Classic Datsun, and I don't really drive the Z in the rain much anyway. And the ducted version looks better to me, so that's what I got.