IGNORED

Another "good as chrome" product?

geezer

I got my 1 oz. bottle of stuff yesterday. The instructions say to spray it on for a 2 mil thickness, then dry it at about 150F, and then cure/fuse it at 500-700F for about an hour, then buff. So it doesn't look like using a heat gun on plastic would work, but I will try a little experiment with a plastic part and a small metal part to see what happens.

thxZ

I thought there were other products you could spray (non chrome) like for headers you could spray and bake in your oven...does anyone have any links for these kind of products?

Also, the guy selling that chrome spray on Ebay was also selling instructions for $2 on how to recondition bad nicad batteries...by 'surging' them or something...anyone buy these instructions or know what he's talking about without wasting the $2 on a scam? I'd buy them if I knew I wasn't throwing my money away, because I do have a bad battery on one of these $15 Harbor Frieght cordless drills...great drill...short life battery that costs more than the drill when you go back to purchase one. I just purchased another of their drills on sale for $11.99 (can't believe the price)...this drill is 18v and looks, feels, and works, very similiar to my makita (that the exwife has now)....

Tommo, I doubt it will be of any use on plastic. Either the product won't cure properly or the plastic will melt/distort. I'm curious, what are the prep directions for use on metal? I hope you can get a pic posted here of your results.

e_racer-

Why did you quote xray from a totally unrelated topic?

thxZ

when referring to the spray on chrome, he mentioned spraying it on a header and popping it in the oven. i was wondering if he had an oven that would fit it. if he did, then it might be worth it to borrow his services (and oven) :)

well, ovens are pretty big if the rack is placed on the bottom element...i guess it would be regular size...

I can fit a header in mine...it doesn't slide in perfect however...

I remember there being a product (NON chrome) or such that is like the jet white coating you could spray and bake....but I'm not that concerned...I'm not even using a header...I was just askin'....no biggie....

This sounded SO promising, but being a novice and trying to get our Z buyer-ready with minimal expense and effort leads me to deduce that it's not for us; I was thinking maybe around the exhaust pipes where in one spot they could use a little spiffing up, but probably not wise; any thoughts? The FAQs were interesting, and a GREAT thread here, and thanks for it.

http://www.goldtouchinc.com/cosmichrome/faq.html

Q. Can it be applied to exhaust pipes?

A: No, The maximum temperature is 250ºC/ 121ºC. Even hexavalent chromium plating will discolor on many high temperature parts. Many plastics melt below these temperatures.

Just talking to myself, saying not for us and our project, but very interested in alternative ways to keep the initial beauty of a '71 240Z, it's integrity and minimize the cash to 'fix' and 'sell'. My bro kept our gem up for 36 years or so for his son to find that his son was no longer into it. Now time to get over it and find a new home. Sure do appreciate the insights and wisdoms you all are giving..............

":0) Asta