IGNORED

Early Hood Differences

26th-Z

Hello Chris,

I have been also interested in this,and I think Mike B showed nicely.

My understanding is,

#1 Earliest does not have reinforcements nor holes/with flat hood release handle

#2 second production has reinforcements but no-holes/with angled hood release handle

#3 third production has reinforcements and holes/with angled hood release handle

I confirmed HLS30-00476 (Nov1969) has #1 hood,PS3-00088(Jan1970) has also #1 hood.HLS30-02156(Mar1970) has #2 hood,but this one may not original from the car was born.

What date is a borderline between them?

kats

#1 Earliest does not have reinforcements nor holes/with flat hood release handle

#2 second production has reinforcements but no-holes/with angled hood release handle

#3 third production has reinforcements and holes/with angled hood release handle

What I have seen so far is,#1 is always seen on 1969 car.#2 is seen quite long term period,from1970 to 1972(not sure the month)

I guess the transition was made from #1 to #2 in the early 1970.#2 to #3 was in the 1973?

kats

• Like 1

I've got a MIG, TIG, plasma cutter and 5' steel rule graduated in 100ths if you want to bring it up here. It would probably take 2-10 hours of welding depending on how bad the hoods frame is. I'm sure the frame has some rot too and not just the front. After laying tacks I'd like to see what kind of warpage an .020 tungsten makes when welding 1/8"-1/4" at a time. (Probably next to nil.) Of course I'd do warpage experiments on areas of the donor hood first of course.

You could build a plywood tank and line it with plastic for your own electrolysis bath. Add washing soda and a little phosphoric and let it do it's thing for a few days. Electrodes could be made to fit inside the frame so that it gets cleaned too. Just can't have 'em touching anything metal. (Spacing insulators)

All you'd owe me is an argon refill.:)

Just offering, I know Sarasota is a long way from Mt Dora.

Jim

• 5 months later...

Hi- I just checked the hood on #194 (build date of 10/69) and it does not have the holes on the side or the reinforcement plates in the corners.

Mine has been plastic media blasted and then left in primer (moved, changed jobs, old story). The very nose has this weird concave region and a hole in it that were bondo'ed up. Were they both filled in from the factory? Is this the remnant of a bad repair? Anyone seen something similar?