IGNORED

What's wrong with the 280's?

Darbji280z

I'd say, with the age of the vehicle, if it is bone stock, you would be safe with 150-170 range.

Another thing to consider, the SAE rating of HP has changed, as well. The higher numbers you see advertized are most likely at the flywheel. I believe some discussions have been had recently on this matter on this forum.

I just noticed you changed your sig. Looks nice. (but, um, is that a porta-potty at the end of the drive, near the pole?)

If everything is up to spec, you're probably at or around 165+ HP.

Don't worry though, the nice thing about the L28's and almost ALL L-Series motors is the fact that HP can be brought up all over the place. For example.....

I drive a 1970 (8/70) 240z.

Stock block

73' 240Z E-88 head

stage 2 cam (480 lift/280 Duration)

Mallory Unilite (infrared LED) Distributor

MSD 6A electronic ignition

Mallory Promaster coil (65,000 volts

NGK Spark Plugs and Wires

MSA Ceramic coated 6-into-1 Header

2 1/2" exhaust pipe

Raptor Turbo Muffler

My Motor originally had 150 HP at the flywheel. Now, without changing the block (Boring it out) and only putting in a bigger cam, and some external things, it puts out over 180 at the Flywheel.

Hope that helps a little,

Dave.

So then where do you think the 76 is at? because i am ten kinds of confused.

On the drivers side, under the hood, between the windshield washer bottle, and the strut tower, there should be a metal tag that states your cars engine capacity, hp/rpm, wheelbase, engine type and chassis number from top to bottom.

At least you didn't buy a 280ZX :P

Thanks for the kick in the shin, Mr Camouflage-good thing I can't see ya! (grumble, grumble, grumble...) :stupid:

But if you are talking about power, you are correct-my beloved zx is indeed saddled down more than the earlier models by various emission controls (grumble, grumble, grumble...)

But to get to your original question-there's nothing wrong with the 280's IMO. For that matter, I don't see anything wrong with any of them; they all have their strong points and weaknesses.

The important thing is that you found a Z car, and that you are enjoying yourself.

Where Stephen stated, my 7/76 says 170...She has plenty of pep for this 'ole man...I adore my 280, even though I've been having some charging problems as of late. I plan on keeping her till I can no longer drive...LOL

Chris

I just noticed you changed your sig. Looks nice. (but, um, is that a porta-potty at the end of the drive, near the pole?)

LOL, no it's not a porta-potty.

Thank for the info. I'll look at that tag in the morning. Let you know.

(but, um, is that a porta-potty at the end of the drive, near the pole?)

Holy crap man! Pardon the pun. Get your mind out of the toilet, whoops sorry again. LOL

Seriously though, by the time the 1973 240Z came around, the real HP in SAE was more like 129hp due to the change in heads, manifolds, and the flat tops. The bore and stroke done to the L6 in the 260 brought it bak up to 139hp and the L28 in the 280 up to 149. Of course the 280 was a lot heavier that the original 240.

What I thought was this

240z = 151hp

260z = 165hp (weight increases from here on out)

280z = 149hp (emission regulations kicked in)

280zx = 135hp then upped back up to 145hp after a year or so

And the 240z having nearly the same 0 to 60 and weight to hp ratio when up against the 280zx Turbo.

There ain't nothing wrong with the 280Z. Personally I kinda like the interior better on the 280 than the 240, but thats just me. I love all S30's. The 280 was the only one I could find around here though, and luckily I've been able to locate some parts cars in junkyards, but I am yet to see a 240. Some argue about HP numbers, but there really isn't any way to tell aside from dropping each on a dyno or just racing at the drag strip. Your average Joe is gonna think your 280 is just as cool as a 240. Its got the Z look. I'd like to see some pics of you DMC-12 sometime too!

I had a 1976 280Z, rated at 149. My buddy had a 1977 280Z, it was rated at 170 - whether there was some change to the ratings (doubtful, sinve typically ratings changes downgrade HP), so something must have changed. Pretty sure my Haynes manual documents this - I'll double check.

Honestly, I thought my 1976 280Z was quicker than my current 1972 240Z. It's possible my perspective of "quick" has changed in 20 years, my daily driver is a Lexus GS400, which will paste quite a few cars.

I did take my '76 to Englishtown Raceway Park to drag, and I pulled a few 15.7 quarter mile times, about in line with what an earlier 240Z will do.

What I thought was this

240z = 151hp

260z = 165hp (weight increases from here on out)

280z = 149hp (emission regulations kicked in)

280zx = 135hp then upped back up to 145hp after a year or so

It's really not accurate to lump all the 240Z together because there was a number of changes just ot the 240Z that affected overall engine output. Don't for get that the 1970 came with the E31 head and 9.13:1 compression through 8/71 and that is where the 151hp number comes from. The E88 head was introduced in 9/71 which lowered the compression to 8.76:1. At some point Datsun also added the smog pump and other emission related devices which of course affected overall engine output as a result. The power robbing additions continued in 1972 and 1973 with the final insult being that of the hideous flat top hitachi carbs on the 1973 240Z. So, saying that all 240Z's have 151hp simply isn't accurate, even if you swap out the flat tops on the 73, you still have the lower compression E88 head, and the small valve version at that.