IGNORED

1957 Plymouth unearthed in Oklahoma

sblake01

Wow, that thing must have sat underwater for that much damage. Funny, I have had one of those sitting in my garage for 6 years. Wonder if all the hullabalu will raise awareness in these old mopars? I NEVER though I'd say it,

but mine is in WAY better shape than that, and mine is pretty sad, interior wise. At least it's not rusty.

Mark

From the article:

But event officials already had to pump out several feet of water from its crypt.

It must have seemed like a good idea in 1957 but the technology didn't exist to do it properly, apparently.

M ostly

O ld

P aint

A nd

R ust

True in this case:mad:

Anyone hear how Boyd Cottington made out trying to start it up? What a joke...he might need to get BlueBear back to pull that off!

They should just drop it back in the hole, and sell more tickets in 2057.

As an Oklahoman and only a few miles from Tulsa let me just say this was really embarassing. Until a few years ago I don't think they even knew where the stupid car was buried. Everybody knew it was going to be junk but they had to make a big deal out of it. They said you could tell water had been all the way to the top of the "tomb" at one point. I loved the tranquilizers in the womans purse though, what a statement about the 50's and how far weve come.

And for more useless information:

In my wife's home town of Seward Nebraska, they have a time capsule also.

This one is above ground and below ground. With climate and humidity controls to hopefully prevent decay of the contents. Built in 1975 by local resident Harold Davisson, the time capsule is filled with approx. 5000 "artifacts". Items range from children's letters, a 1975 Chevy Vega, a Kawasaki motorcycle (both with zero miles) to a leisure suit. It was the time capsule creator's hope that when the capsule was opened on July 4th, 2025 someone would wear the leisure suit while riding the motorcycle.

Of an interesting note is that the pyramid part in the attached picture was added in 1983 and contains a badly beaten up 1975 Datsun.

I plan to be there when its opened to see which Datsun is was.ROFL

FWIW,

Chris

post-5906-14150800662814_thumb.jpg

Why? Imagine a 'brand new' 240z being unearthed after....say almost 28 years........

A 240Z would have been nothing but a pile of rusty powder with an engine sitting in it. These things rust bad enough up here on the earth's surface.