IGNORED

Homemade speaker box for 6x9s

TomoHawk

I made my boxes with 1/2 inch chipboard for the ends, and 1/4 inch MDF for the sides. I made the oval port on the end with a 1 1/4 inch holesaw, cutting two holes close together and then cutting away the wood between. the speaker were from WalMart, and I got a deal at the sewing store: 1 yd of the felt-like cloth for $3. the 72 inch wide cloth was plenty for the two boxes. Then I soldered a length of 18 gauge copper stranded wire with with some connectors on the ends.

thx

post-2169-14150800725738_thumb.jpg

post-2169-1415080072603_thumb.jpg

post-2169-14150800726225_thumb.jpg

I purchased mine from motorsport. Easy and effective.

I've been wondering about these -- how are they secured? I would just be worried about not being able to throw the carpet up to get at the spare tire well.

The purpose of securing them is not so much that they don't move around under normal circumstances, but rather that they don't become projectiles during a collision that can cause significant injury or death. I suggest that you develop some sort of way to batten these down so you don't become just another statistic in the event of an accident.

I'm happy w/my setup. And it sounds much better than the MSA box. I sold that thing about 6 years ago. I now have a 12" Kenwood sub, 4 Pioneer 6 X 9's, 300 W amp, round Pioneers in the stock location below the quarter windows, and tweeters on the winshield pillar moldings. In the future, I'm going to lose the CD changer a go with a MP3/Ipod capable head unit. The rear section still raises up for access.

post-3797-14150800729451_thumb.jpg

post-3797-1415080072967_thumb.jpg

post-3797-14150800729872_thumb.jpg

post-3797-1415080073014_thumb.jpg

The purpose of securing them is not so much that they don't move around under normal circumstances, but rather that they don't become projectiles during a collision that can cause significant injury or death. I suggest that you develop some sort of way to batten these down so you don't become just another statistic in the event of an accident.
Are you speaking from experience? :laugh: (just kidding) IMO, if you are in such a collision that things will go flying around, you are probably in serious trouble period. It's the more likely things will roll around in the front of the car (phone, coffee cup, toys, soccer ball, etc) during normal driving that you need to be constantly concerned about. But there's no reason not to secure every loose thing in the car.

thxZ

... It's the more likely things will roll around in the front of the car (phone, coffee cup, toys, soccer ball, etc) during normal driving that you need to be constantly concerned about. But there's no reason not to secure every loose thing in the car.

thxZ

Good reason to don an atheletic supporter before a brisk ride!ROFL

Will

No coffee cup, toys, soccer balls, etc. when I drive and my cell phone is in my pocket. My stereo system is all adequately secured mainly to avoid the vibratrion associated with a higher power sytem but it will also prevent the 'projectile' syndrome. Like you say though, at thay point, there would be other concerns.