IGNORED

Rating the factory 240Z fuel vent hoses

• 10 months later...
Another good tank ventilation reference. This one has parts to order if you don't order Nissan parts and want to sleeve the lines for the bends instead of Dave/Dogma420's copper 180 degree elbow method...

http://www.jrdemers.com/280ZX/tankvents/tankvents.html

I just did my tank, using a combination of advice. I bought no factory hoses, and took a different approach to the 180 degree bend necessary for the large hose on the right rear of the tank. I used two 3/4 inch 90 degree brass fittings. See picture. post-17507-14150814618786_thumb.jpg

Also note that the part numbers from the above link are out of stock. Here's what I ordered from http://www.mcmaster.com/

1ft 7270K3 Moisture-Seal Polyolefin Heat-Shrink Tubing 1.1" ID Before, .37" ID After, 9" L, Black $4.29 - Great for making those grommets for the floor holes.

4 Ft 5645K19 Low-Pressure SAE Hydraulic Hose SAE30R2, 5/8" ID, 7/8" OD, 350 PSI, $12.00

7 Ft 5645K18 Low-Pressure SAE Hydraulic Hose SAE30R2, 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD, 400 PSI, Black $10.88 - get the extra foot

2 Ft. 5201K67 Lightweight SAE Hydraulic Hose 3/4" ID, 1.06" OD, 1250 PSI, Black $16.66 - get the extra foot, it'll make it easier to bend this tough hose.

6 Ft. 54605K34 Low Pressure SAE Fuel Hose 3/8" ID, 5/8" OD, 50 PSI, Black $6.90

The other hoses I got from Napa. Napa did end up having the 1/2" hose, too.

After having it boiled, my tank looked pretty good inside. I ended dong the POR-15 treatment anyway. I figured I had it out. Worked good, but took a lot of time and effort, as getting the different chemicals and the coating to drain out of that tank is not easy. I also took the time to wire brush the insides of the rear quarters and the underside of the hatch floor and spare tire well, then treated them with some rust remover/encapsulation and painted them with Eastwood's Chasis Black. They were amazingly clean, but there were a few spots of rust and I figured I should get it while I was there.

Anyway, no more stink, and the tank and underside of the back end are now cleaned up and protected. Was all very simple, just a lot of physical work.

Does anyone care to speculate on why Nissan has that vent pipe on the top right rear of the tank facing left, making it necessary to do that 180 degree bend? There doesn't seem to be a reason it couldn't have been put on facing right.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

71 240z fuel tank with fitting sizes (not hose sizes)

attachment.php?attachmentid=47043&d=1312054967

71 240z evap tank with fitting sizes (not hose sizes)

attachment.php?attachmentid=47042&d=1312054965

Rear left connection. I used 1/2" fuel hose and it worked very well. I obtained the hose from a truck supply shop. Finding fuel hose over 3/8" is difficult and as mentioned in a post above, only very low pressure (~400psi) hydraulic hose MAY work.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47037&d=1312054947

Here is a view looking up at the vent line at the rear right top of the tank. As you can see the vent line points away from where the hose comes through the floor. This calls for a 180degree turn in very close quarters as the top of the tank is pressed up against the rear hatch's floor.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47041&d=1312054960

There are many ways to make the 180degree turn. Here is mine: I used fuel resistant hose from the manifold vent hoses from a 280z EFI system. This one had a 90 degree bend and it fit on the 17mm / 5/8" fitting so I did not need 5/8" hose (which was a good thing as I could not source it).

attachment.php?attachmentid=47040&d=1312054956

I used a PEX 90degree water hose brass fitting that I sourced from a hardware store to connect the EFI hose to a 1/2" fuel hose. Yes 1/2"! You can make it fit over the fittings on the gas tank and on the evap tank (heat from hairdryer or microwaves water helps as well as lithium grease). The EFI hose and the PEX gave me 180 degrees.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47039&d=1312054952

For the tank straps, I used rubber that I sourced from a hardware store and automotive goop to secure it to the strap. This stuff was ~ 1/8" thick.

attachment.php?attachmentid=47038&d=1312054949

The only other tip was to heat the filler pipe's bottom with a hair dryer to make tank installation easier. Soft rubber is important.

I did not get a shot of the 3/4" hose that connects the evap tank to the filler pipe as my camera ran out of memory. I'll post it tomorrow. Again I used hose from an EFI manifold and it worked nicely.

post-7641-14150815752916_thumb.jpg

post-7641-1415081575337_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815753707_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815754125_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815754498_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815754905_thumb.jpg

post-7641-14150815755416_thumb.jpg

Edited by Blue

With respect to the advise above to use hydraulic hose, the stuff is too big to fit through the passages in the body and the 1/2" does not fit over the fittings.

Well, I used the hoses, and they fit. I did have to use some motor oil on some of the fittings to get the hoses to slip on. I didn't have any trouble penetrating the passages, though. Some of those hoses diameters are available locally via NAPA or boat repair or lawn mower repair shops if you don't want to order them. However, it just seemed easier to order them all from one place and be done with it. Be careful you don't get coolant hoses. Even if they tell you the hoses are good for fuel, they might not be. I bought a complete set of hoses from Autozone at first. They told me the hoses were fuel rated. I looked up the part numbers online after I got home, and learned they were not fuel rated, so I took them back and ordered a set.

Be careful you don't get coolant hoses. Even if they tell you the hoses are good for fuel, they might not be. I bought a complete set of hoses from Autozone at first. They told me the hoses were fuel rated. I looked up the part numbers online after I got home, and learned they were not fuel rated, so I took them back and ordered a set.

Same thing happened to me at Kragen/OReilly. Needless to say, I returned them and found large diameter fuel hose at a local race shop (Gotelli's in SSF, great shop BTW).

I was looking in the fuel hose section of Pep Boys last evening and noted some larger diameter PCV hose that is fuel rated. It looked like it may work in place of the 3/4" between the filler neck and the evap. tank.

For hydraulic hoses. It is a good idea but I could only source high pressure hoses that had one or two internal wraps of wire that made the hoses bigger than the low pressure ones recommended above.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

So, as of this date May 8, 2012...

Are the Nissan parts original, i.e. new old stock?

That would mean putting on 40 year old parts wouldn't it?

I'm thinking the price keeps going up because there are no more available/ being made and thus, supply and demand.

• Mike pinned, unpinned and featured this topic