IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Kats

Great examples of your cars and the devotion you have to them. I really enjoy my car and once I got past the possibility of a scratch or two, I enjoy it even more. These are fun cars and should be driven. I could only imagine the thrill you must get each time you drive the 432. I would love to have one. That engine bay is just so clean and impressive, as is your 240. But that 432 engine is beyond words.

Kats/Everyone

I believe my RHD car has the garage feature of the ignition switch that you speak of but, what is interesting, is that is is not shown in the Datsun 240Z Sports Owner's Manual which was supplied with the car, dated as issued 1st August 1971 (0800050) with a publication No. of oM1E-0S30G2. I am assuming that this publication was as supplied to the LHD market because on page 10 which is devoted to the instrument and controls there is a picture of the dash and the steering wheel is shown on the LH side.

There is no hand throttle shown in this picture either, but it is shown on page 13 of the same publication under the heading of "Throttle Control Lever". "By pulling the throttle control lever backward, the engine revolution is maintained at the same rpm without depressing down the accelerator pedal. This lever is retainable in any desired position".

The hand throttle control lever is also clearly shown in the picture on page 15 discussing the rear window electric defroster, another feature that none of our cars seem to have fitted.

Also of interest is page 17, section titled "Driving with Manual Transmission", which shows a picture of a 5 speed shift knob and 5th gear is also listed in the table of appropriate speed range in each gear. Another anomoly but in the opposite direction!

Hope this is of interest.

Joseph

• 1 month later...

Hello all,and thank you everyone making good inputs here.

I have just got out from the hospital today,I have got an acute pneumonia.

Two weeks stay in the hospital is not so bad,I am happy I come back.

Joseph,the manual is interesting.I believe Vintage Z program reissued 3 manuals including the same manual which you mentioned.Yes I was wondering why describing the hand throttle,/5 speeds/etc..

I will post some unique pictures of my collection,Dec 1969 and Jan 1970 HLS30 manual.Dec 1969 mentioned about hand throttle.But Jan 1970,I can see the same printing as Dec 1969 behind a paper sheet which shows non-hand throttle illustration is attached over the original page.

FilipeA,hello and welcome from Portugal !I enjoyed your restoration pictures too:love:Very nice and want to see more.I was surprised and have never knew the magnesium wheels are the same in your country!!I envy you the "D" small cap for the wheel.In Japan,Z432 does not have "D" for the cap.But can only be seen in very very early prototype Z432 has "D" for the magnesium wheel.Do you know in Japan,complete set of the wheel is expensive,like 2000$U.S. today.

Thank you,

kats

Hi,

#1 Z432 needs two radiator caps(in early model like 1969 to jan 1970).

The left for the reservor tank(you notice push bottun),the rigt for the radiator.

This -E4201 is code for the Z432,but I think my 1970 HLS30 240Z has same cap.Is this true?

#2 What do you think of this black plastic duct?This is for the cabin air intake next to the right corner of the radiator.Yes,this unique shape is only for the Z432.It has to be this shape because of Z432's air cleaner duct system.Do you know what I mean?

#3 This is not nothing new,the jute pads for the early RHD model.Just not interchangeable with the early LHD model.

kats

post-3193-1415080153394_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801534232_thumb.jpg

post-3193-1415080153443_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801534624_thumb.jpg

Kats,

I am glad you are out of the hospital, and hope your recovery is as fast as your 432 and as complete as your Z restoration!

I purchased a pair of the ignition switches with the Garage option (and every other interesting par, from the way too far gone and picked over remains of two evidently early rhd S30s-no vins) since your post on them, and currently have them at a locksmith for cleaning the cylinders and having keys made. My local locksmith was having a great deal of trouble finding keys, so I have jumped into the search. They appear to need the Waso keys; and, I may have found a source for them-I'll know when I receive them, and will let everyone know.

Will

I am getting better,thank you Will, and Chris.

The pictures of the manual,

#1 The left is 20th Dec 1969,the right is 15th Jan 1970

#2 page 13 from the 1969 manual,description of the hand throttle

#3 page 13 from the 1970 manual,just a picture of a 240Z

#4 but close up view of that page,you can see the paper sheet is attached

over the original throttle picture.

Will,I really sorry about the Fairlady-Z manual written in English,I am ready to send but I forgot.Please let me know again your e-mail adress which can receive many pictures.

Mike,I bought the hood bumpers!!

kats

post-3193-1415080157837_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801578654_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801578855_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801579055_thumb.jpg

I want to show these two caps,the left is currently purchased from nissan and the right is purchased some years ago.

The left is silver and thin metal.The right is plated and thicker metal than the left.

According to the brouchure of U.S. 240Z,a radiator cap looks plated like gold,the right one might be the same?

kats

P.S.Here is a link of a epair example of the Z432's radiator,it is made of aluminum ,that is OEM. How ever you will notice the silver radiator cap and the different tubing below the cap,which are not correct as a stock.

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/dockman/racing/Only_for_the_Nissan_L_type_engine/Handling_goods_list/432Radiator/index.htm

post-3193-14150801580318_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801580527_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...