IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Thank you Alan,
I have read that thread started by Blue, a lot of information there, I should read that first, thank you Alan ,  Blue too.

Alan you are telling "it is not that easy story ,a  history has very complicated stories behind " . I have got you. After reading that, "politics " is the key word for me, 
I think Nissan wanted to have victory as many  as possible by S20 , the car was GTR. Same time Nissan wanted S30 to win with S20 first , but then L 24.
For Nissan, winning various car , various engine is good thing to appeal their ability to people.

The fact that terrible vibration occurred PZR's FS5C71A which  many factory racers complained could affect Nissan's "politics" pushed forward , I mean switching plan LR24 came earlier than they expected, did not ?

Or the vibration problem was just a bad compatibility of PZR and S20? 
Was it just coincident ?

GTR would have same problem but Murayama fixed it nicely and immediately?
Or even that problem was " already expected",  Nissan knew it ?
Nissan would have a retirement plan of PZR in 1970 so , they chose remaining as it is rather than solving the problem?

Very interesting !
Kats

PS the pictures is Mr.Maruyama , he was a senior captain of B777 retired at age of 65 last year, I flew with him on his "Last  Flight". He knew I have Zs, he kindly let me see his younger days in the sky.
His farther bought the new car 1975 S30 for him, Mr.Maruyama said "my father was so excited about his son became a pilot trainee, I still thank my father because I did not have that big money for buying it ..."
Mr.Maruyama owned it 10 years, where is the car now?

IMG_5525.JPG

IMG_5529.JPG

IMG_5530.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, kats said:

The fact that terrible vibration occurred PZR's FS5C71A which  many factory racers complained could affect Nissan's "politics" pushed forward , I mean switching plan LR24 came earlier than they expected, did not ?

Or the vibration problem was just a bad compatibility of PZR and S20? 
Was it just coincident ?

GTR would have same problem but Murayama fixed it nicely and immediately?
Or even that problem was " already expected",  Nissan knew it ?
Nissan would have a retirement plan of PZR in 1979 so , they chose remaining as it is rather than solving the problem?

The driveline vibration problem only occurred in the (Works) PZR race cars - not on the road cars - and at prolonged high RPM, especially at Fuji Speedway. I think it could have been cured pretty easily with a few small modifications to driveline installed angles (trans output, diff input), engine and transmission mounts. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the S20, FS5C71-A & R192 combination (it was perfectly OK in the GT-Rs) so I think it was just a body harmonic issue that could have been cured with a little more race-specific parts development.

But the political issues going on between the ex-Prince and Nissan factions meant that there was not much momentum behind the race development of the S20-engined Z cars. The S20 continued to be developed, refined and improved in the Works GT-Rs and the ex-Prince guys were concentrating on the planning of the two-door 'Hard Top' KPGC10 which would be hitting the market in the latter half of 1970 and the race track soon after. They really didn't want to give the PZR the attention it needed, and with Nissan developing the L24-engined variants for a serious campaign in international rallying to start in late 1970 too the writing was on the wall anyway.       

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gav240z said:

I'll bet that little kid sat on mum's lap too! Very cool to see it with the original steel Topy wheels too!

Yes , I think so too ! What a nice family.

Mr.Maruyama said he loved the Topy wheel very much !

Kats

2 hours ago, HS30-H said:

The driveline vibration problem only occurred in the (Works) PZR race cars - not on the road cars - and at prolonged high RPM, especially at Fuji Speedway. I think it could have been cured pretty easily with a few small modifications to driveline installed angles (trans output, diff input), engine and transmission mounts. There was nothing fundamentally wrong with the S20, FS5C71-A & R192 combination (it was perfectly OK in the GT-Rs) so I think it was just a body harmonic issue that could have been cured with a little more race-specific parts development.

But the political issues going on between the ex-Prince and Nissan factions meant that there was not much momentum behind the race development of the S20-engined Z cars. The S20 continued to be developed, refined and improved in the Works GT-Rs and the ex-Prince guys were concentrating on the planning of the two-door 'Hard Top' KPGC10 which would be hitting the market in the latter half of 1970 and the race track soon after. They really didn't want to give the PZR the attention it needed, and with Nissan developing the L24-engined variants for a serious campaign in international rallying to start in late 1970 too the writing was on the wall anyway.       

S20 needs a little more work / effort to enjoy , maintain than L series engine, but yes there is nothing fundamentally wrong with S20.

That is why I can not be apart, I am correcting engine parts and even I am going to obtain an used S20. If you hear the S20's roar, feel the heart beat, you will love it.

Kats

Periodical maintenance 240ZG,

My car is now Kyoto Nissan for Shaken (should have checked every two years )

I replaced a clutch operating cylinder last month, it is also checked by mechanics. 

This time I want to add a rear stabilizer, the reason why I want to do is , I was looking at original owner's note which was written when he bought the car new , he wrote " too much under steers, too much body roll, are there brackets for a rear stabilizer? I need to talk about Z432 or race option stabilizer , price will be 7000-8000 yen"

I do not have any problem with this car but I want to make it instead of the original owner.

Kats

IMG_0799.JPG

IMG_0801.JPG

IMG_0813.JPG

IMG_0815.JPG

IMG_0820.JPG

IMG_0821.JPG

IMG_0836.JPG

Edited by kats

I found this car still has original exhaust and muffler all the way to the exit.

It is very hard to see , but I can see "72 05 (or 06) " on the center pre muffler and the rear end muffler. Pretty straight floor makes me happy.

Also some numbers  on the rear differential ,  "72  5 " looks like May 1972,

what do you think of it ?

Kats

IMG_0803.JPG

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

IMG_0807.JPG

IMG_0808.JPG

IMG_0809.JPG

IMG_0810.JPG

IMG_0811.JPG

One more tonight's upload, here is an interesting booklet," Nissan Fairlady-Z text book for sales man " issued Nov 1969. 

It contains many pictures which were not seen in other manuals. 

Interesting thing is " ...if a potential customer has a son, you must approach to his son , from our data  many customers are admitting their son's opinion..."

And funny cartoon ,also nice to see, I like it.

Some pictures are very useful to confirm early parts, or prototype uniqueness.

You see unusual carpet fasteners, rear deck jack handle mount,spare tire holders, tool box lid looked very simple and even the carpet around there it has fasteners.

A emergency brake handle, looks like borrowed from other cars.

Three combination gauges looked a little dull ,not straight. 

A rear gate supporting bracket attached to the rear gate, it has same shape as my Z432, but different from my other cars.

An artificial interior picture, Mr.Matsuo told  us Nissan had just bought a computer to print pictures which can make it in artificial effect. It took many ours, set before going home and done in the next morning .

Kats

PS. Do you know why only Japanese S30 has a rubber "C shape " cap at both side of rear side bumper ?

IMG_0823.JPG

IMG_0824.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

IMG_0833.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

IMG_0835.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, kats said:

You see unusual carpet fasteners, rear deck jack handle mount,spare tire holders, tool box lid looked very simple and even the carpet around there it has fasteners.

Kats

PS. Do you know why only Japanese S30 has a rubber "C shape " cap at both side of rear side bumper ?

IMG_0830.JPG

Hey Kats,

Thanks for posting that, I was confused by this spare tyre hold down because I'd never seen it before. I assumed the 1 in HS30 00150 was from another model or car. Attached is 2 photos, I will have to check HS30 00051 also and see if it has the same hold down fastener as this (sadly Topy wheel is gone). Up until now I'd only ever seen the other style.

With regard to the bumper rubber caps on the Japanese Market cars, I'm going to guess it was some regulation regarding pedestrians and to prevent clothing being caught on the bumper ends? I'm interested to learn why it wasn't fitted to export market cars.

IMG_20170412_002504.jpg

IMG_20170412_002510.jpg

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, kats said:

One more tonight's upload, here is an interesting booklet," Nissan Fairlady-Z text book for sales man " issued Nov 1969. 

It contains many pictures which were not seen in other manuals. 

Some pictures are very useful to confirm early parts, or prototype uniqueness.

A emergency brake handle, looks like borrowed from other cars.

Kats,

Love, love, LOVE the 'Serusman-yo Setsumeisho' booklet! Super rare survivor there. Fabulous! I believe they made pocket-size information booklets too (for home-visiting, workplace-visiting salesmen - probably on bicycles! - to carry with them for quick reference when customers asked difficult questions...) and I have a Nissan Prince Automobile Sales one for the 1973 range. It's about the size of a smartphone, but has 70+ pages of data. Have you seen one that covers the S30 series cars?

I believe the handbrake/e-brake lever seen on some of the pre-production cars was a C10-series Skyline item. It looks almost exactly the same.

Like Gavin, I was always told the rear bumper end rubber 'sandwich' pieces were to stop pedestrians, cyclists and motorcyclists from being 'hooked' by a close passing Z car...?

• Like 1