kats

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

6 hours ago, RIP260Z said:

Very, very nice Kats, any Silvia (csp311 only) I love to see.

It is a pity it is missing a few things, grab handles above door, sunvisors, and has Bluebird 410/411 hubcaps. But still lovely.

Hopefully, the restoration of my one will be to a very high standard (it is so far with the length I am going to..)

For those who are interested, this website is rather good for the design/launch/motorsport of, what could be described as Nissan's first super car.

https://csp311.net/

(Oh, did I say the website is mine😉)

Hi Ian . I am so impressed with your website, simply fantastic ! You have been dedicated so much for the history of the car , I can see how much 

effort you have put into it . You are not Japanese , there might be some difficulties to do the work . Amazing!

And I am so happy that you wrote about A550X , https://csp311.net/a550x-development-history-a550x開発の歴史/

this page , I think everyone must read it . You put what I ( Nissan designers too of course!) wanted to say .

To know about S30 developing story , your article back up what was happening at that time in Nissan , Yamaha , Tonouchi , Toyota , etc .

I am 100% with you Ian , Mr. Goertz did not do anything about S30 styling, He never had a chance to be involved S30 development because he left Nissan before the project began . A thing that he left to Nissan designers was , how to make clay models and how to use the tools . So some people may say without his teaching , they could not make a car . But , this does not mean anything about S30 styling .

Thank you so much Ian .

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

Hello Kats,

Your praise and enthusiasm for my site means a lot Kat. Thank you.

It has taken a lot of effort, hours to do this site, whether tracking down period magazine articles from Japan (I am still missing some) and working every single kanji by stroke, finding it electronically, pasting into Word, the translating via Google. So far, I must be up to around 80,000 kanji done. (No, google translate image on phone won't work on old faded print, where I had to use a hand lens). Plus, it gave a feel/understanding of Japanese kanji, and Japan as a whole, doing it the "long" way. Making sure the english sentences are short/un-complicated, so Google can give a better (though maybe not correct) kanji for me to post up.

It does bug me slightly that the Japanese is maybe not quite correct, but as long as a Japanese person can get the right idea of what I am saying. As HS30-H said to me, how maybe Japanese websites have perfect English.

I wanted the CSP311/A550X/Toyota 2000GT/S30 (as all their stories are joined/flow) be as good as I could find. That meant bypassing most of what was/is written in the western print (though it was still researched, read and cross referenced) and going back to where the story happened. Japan. My hope Kats, is someone in Japan sees my site, and this helps me get more information, to make the story, better, fuller, with thoughts, ideas and drawing, anything.

Patcon, I know. But it means that I have to go right back, no hiding, and it also means I can put my stamp on it, e.g. it will have larger fuel tank fabricated, and to match, I already have a refurbished/newly screen printed fuel gauge saying my larger fuel tanks volume, rather than stock. You won't notice, unless you know where to look. I am currently looking at doing some injection molding...

• Like 3

Hi Gavin ,I am not  the seller , I don’t want to pass my bottle to someone. The one on sale is exact same my spare bottle which has a plastic cap with a reinforced metal bracket .

By the way , I am going to pick my spare S20 from OK Racing in February, stay tune !

Kats

On 1/8/2019 at 11:01 PM, RIP260Z said:

Hello Kats,

Your praise and enthusiasm for my site means a lot Kat. Thank you.

It has taken a lot of effort, hours to do this site, whether tracking down period magazine articles from Japan (I am still missing some) and working every single kanji by stroke, finding it electronically, pasting into Word, the translating via Google. So far, I must be up to around 80,000 kanji done. (No, google translate image on phone won't work on old faded print, where I had to use a hand lens). Plus, it gave a feel/understanding of Japanese kanji, and Japan as a whole, doing it the "long" way. Making sure the english sentences are short/un-complicated, so Google can give a better (though maybe not correct) kanji for me to post up.

It does bug me slightly that the Japanese is maybe not quite correct, but as long as a Japanese person can get the right idea of what I am saying. As HS30-H said to me, how maybe Japanese websites have perfect English.

I wanted the CSP311/A550X/Toyota 2000GT/S30 (as all their stories are joined/flow) be as good as I could find. That meant bypassing most of what was/is written in the western print (though it was still researched, read and cross referenced) and going back to where the story happened. Japan. My hope Kats, is someone in Japan sees my site, and this helps me get more information, to make the story, better, fuller, with thoughts, ideas and drawing, anything.

Patcon, I know. But it means that I have to go right back, no hiding, and it also means I can put my stamp on it, e.g. it will have larger fuel tank fabricated, and to match, I already have a refurbished/newly screen printed fuel gauge saying my larger fuel tanks volume, rather than stock. You won't notice, unless you know where to look. I am currently looking at doing some injection molding...

Ian , I will do , I want many people to see your site , cross reference method works well to understand what was happening at that time.

About a translation software,  I can say it is not 100% correct Japanese, I see some sentences are not right as Japanese language, but I can see what the sentences are trying to mean . My English is worse than the soft😓ware .

Kats

If I were the buyer , I would disassemble the S20 engine. I need to see it is rebuilt correctly with correct parts . The seller said it is rebuilt already, but looking at neither non restored nor non replaced bolts and nuts on the engine block , I would be suspicious about the rebuilding quality.

Even if the bolts and nuts was shining, and not informed who is the rebuilder, I would disassemble the engine. 

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

Hi Gavin , I now found you have a wheel which is like Z432 type , but different off set , and non - center cap type .

And is it taper nut type ? 

And it is not the same the one on the front of the 1971 Montecarlo Rally car .

Alan , could you tell us how many types there were for the works rally car .

The gold is Gavin’s wheel

The gray is mine 

And two old pictures from Nissan Craft Magazine “Fairlady Z “ .

Kats

AA08DE0B-B9C9-48B0-B4DA-24CB475E27B4.jpeg

2C54551F-5419-47F4-9EFA-5E6DC52E7D0B.jpeg

C5E343DC-EDB5-457F-A33C-503ACE45455A.jpeg

FFFA230F-5389-4F3A-87A3-691C15EB8B14.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Hi Kats,

I have 3 wheels in total, I got them from someone who bought second hand performance parts from Nissan (in the rally scene) back in the 90s.

Originally there was another "wide" version also. 2 wide 2 narrow, but 1 of those had a crack and he decided to find out what a magnesium fire looked like and put 1 of the wheels on a bon fire.

Sad I know, but he had no idea what these wheels really were and had stored them for years as a curiosity more than anything else.

I got them off him for a very reasonable price and couldn't believe my luck to be honest.

Not only that, but someone else had another 1 in the town / region of Ballarat (narrow version like the photo you attached) and was willing to sell it to me cheap ($100) but I found it difficult to get out that way to collect (seller wouldn't post) and in the end he gave it to a friend to use as a hose reel! *Sigh*. Same person sold a good set to 1 of the only Z432 owners in Australia not long ago. (Think he got them for a steal!) I will try and find photos of that car.

The left over wheels was however also damaged / cracked and Alan wasn't sure how easy it could be repaired when I sent him photos. I will dig out pics again if I can.

Alan informed me the narrow wheel was likely used on 4 cylinder rally cars that competed in the Southern Cross rally (perhaps the Datsun Violet SSS rally cars?) Which came through in the period, but the wide version was definitely left over from the works rally S30z's.

I would love to use these wheels at some point, but not sure what to do about the odd pairing. Worst case scenario they will become garage ornaments, perhaps my Ikeda Bussan seats with look good next to them on display? (Currently out of the car for now)...The S30z enthusiasts will know what they represent.

Reproductions can never match the originals.

• Like 1

Here is the damaged 4 cylinder version (no centre caps) / solid spoke. Like the other 2 I have already. So even if I got it, I'd still be 1 short of a complete set!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/J7UHEXSJWeUtz6r66

You can see the chipped centre hub / area and hairline crack on the outer rim.

It is now living a peace life of retirement as someone's garden hose reel. I'm unsure if I should push the previous owner for his friends details to try and rescue it from retirement or not. What do you think?

Magnesium wheel repair is tricky.

• Like 1

I see Gavin, it is a good idea to prepare for getting  the “ garden wheel “ ,  then you will have three of the “ 4 cylinder “ narrow version. Then wait for a chance to have one more . Also you may wait to have wide version three or more for your alternative choice . Good luck !!

The 1971 Safari winner car , from モーターマガジン

Kats

568EFB70-90FC-4650-AC0C-295C4936A9BA.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/13/2019 at 1:22 AM, kats said:

I see Gavin, it is a good idea to prepare for getting  the “ garden wheel “ ,  then you will have three of the “ 4 cylinder “ narrow version. Then wait for a chance to have one more . Also you may wait to have wide version three or more for your alternative choice . Good luck !!

The 1971 Safari winner car , from モーターマガジン

Kats

Hi Kats,

Well I'm back on the wild goose chase, hunting that wheel down. Got the contacts of the new owner and have sent them a message on Facebook. Let's hope I can secure it! Not sure if it can be repaired or not. Only 1 way to find out.

Attached is a 710 Datsun Violet with the 4 cylinder 5.5j version of the Kobe Seiko wheels, similar the Z432 style.

I also managed to find a photo of the Z432 Fairlady Z in Australia (white car), owned by the same person who owns the ex-George Fury Nissan Bluebird race car.

In this photo it appears to be wearing Watanabe's. I'm trying to see if I can find more photos of it!

It must be odd to see a car like this (quintessentially Japanese) on Australia streets for you? I know it was odd for me to see an Australian Holden Monaro at an Irish (Terenure) car show many years ago now. (2012). It was so familiar, but so out of place in rainy old Ireland.

post-103565-0-71809400-1523087385.jpeg

10530658_896989527015459_4801572300705621739_n (1).jpg

IMG_20120708_160223.jpg

IMG_20120708_160225.jpg

• Like 1

Good luck Gavin , fingers crossed !

I didn’t know an early white Z432 is in Australia ! Some years ago , a white one ( 1970 made ) was on sale in Shizuoka prefecture , would it be the one ? Or another 1970 made white one also was on sale in Nagasaki prefecture. Anyway , let us know when you see the car in perso😊n .

Kats

On 1/14/2019 at 8:18 AM, Gav240z said:

I know it was odd for me to see an Australian Holden Monaro at an Irish (Terenure) car show many years ago now. (2012). It was so familiar, but so out of place in rainy old Ireland

Ireland has loads of used  JDM's on the roads. ... and other Holdens: 5.7 V8 "El Camino" https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/holden-hsv-r8-maloo-ute/20685193

My fav "cheapy": https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/x2-toyota-sera-cars-butterfly-doors-racer-seats/19804458

My old landlord's friend hate a ute like that in Ireland, it was always so strange seeing it whilst living over there.

33 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

Ireland has loads of used  JDM's on the roads. ... and other Holdens: 5.7 V8 "El Camino" https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/holden-hsv-r8-maloo-ute/20685193

My fav "cheapy": https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/x2-toyota-sera-cars-butterfly-doors-racer-seats/19804458

2 hours ago, kats said:

Good luck Gavin , fingers crossed !

I didn’t know an early white Z432 is in Australia ! Some years ago , a white one ( 1970 made ) was on sale in Shizuoka prefecture , would it be the one ? Or another 1970 made white one also was on sale in Nagasaki prefecture. Anyway , let us know when you see the car in perso😊n .

Kats

To be honest Kats I don't know much about it or where it came from. The owner is a bit tight lipped (which is fair enough). It's currently up in Queesland, so not sure when I'll get to see it, but when I do I'll take a bunch of photos.

• Like 1

Hey Kats,

Found more photos of it.

post-100733-0-25263600-1455418584.jpg

post-100733-0-17687200-1455418586.jpg

post-100733-0-94957600-1455418587.jpg

post-100733-0-68772500-1455418731.jpg

post-100733-0-02575100-1455418733.jpg

I've definitely seen it with the Kobe Seiko wheels, but can't find a photo of that!

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

Wow... This thread is a treasure. Gave me something to do during snowstorms here in Michigan. If any of you need some help with dodgy Chinese companies I can help clearing up things. Being a Chinese I'm not proud but I had dealt with them quite a while now. Kameari have some pretty cool products like the tensioner. Never go into their store cuz when I walked in wanting to buy a damper I ended up with a bag of stuff and an empty wallet!

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thanks Gavin , additional pictures are fun to look at . 

Hi RS02 , let’s enjoy our Z together. Always nice to see owners in overseas. 

Kameari Engine Works is very popular in Japan , L Gata engine builders can’t do their work without Kameari. Recently Kameari is listing almost every S20 Engine’s “ necessary “ parts , that is also very helpful. Some of them are made in outside Japan , oh , I am waiting to hear about “ S20 replacement cylinder head “ which is made in Thailand. 

Kats

• Like 1

Image1548314875.834477.jpg
I got one of their catalogs when I was in Japan and man I wish I had known them before rebuilding my engine. I'm still drooling over the JDM taillight they sell. (Not because jdm just that I think it looks better with yellow turn signals)
So they are producing replacement S20 heads huh? I am still looking into getting a rb30e head to try and modify into that cross flow LY head Nissan produced.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2019 at 4:38 PM, RS02 said:

I got one of their catalogs when I was in Japan and man I wish I had known them before rebuilding my engine. I'm still drooling over the JDM taillight they sell. (Not because jdm just that I think it looks better with yellow turn signals)
So they are producing replacement S20 heads huh? I am still looking into getting a rb30e head to try and modify into that cross flow LY head Nissan produced.

Here is a RB20 head joined with a L block . You are going to have same thing , fantastic ! 

http://sato1511.blog40.fc2.com/category47-2.html

About a Mikuni Solex carb , what everyone is doing about this , eight shape rubber gasket . This gasket is not listed on a service manual / parts catalog  because it is not meant to be disassembled. Please see the pictures, you see the eight shape groove on the cast jet block body . 

If this gasket deteriorated , fuel is not supplied correctly. However , overhaul kit never including this gasket .

This gasket is sold by a few venders . The gasket is described “ Factory Mikuni made “ .  I have some , yes I think they are genuine by the looks .

Each one cost 1000 JPY ( 10 USD ) ! How come this is available, while overhaul kit does not have it . Anyway , I have bought some from a local Mikuni service shop .

@nix240z , is there any chance to make this by your hand ? If demand is large enough , a price will be less than 10 USD ?

Kats

FBF363C5-AA42-4C71-90D3-76964A079399.jpeg

461EE469-9E42-47CD-86C4-FCD2B597B9AB.jpeg

9D27F3CD-B6D3-4563-91EA-E3FC7226696F.jpeg

D1476EF6-33E2-47DB-A298-ABF0CF47BC63.jpeg

2576C699-503D-48FD-8FF6-5CBDABDE9073.jpeg

Edited by kats

By the way  , the left choke disc is an early type , the right one is later type . My spare set of Mikuni 40 PHH is an early type which has straight-head screw for securing top cover . They must have an early type choke disc but , later type is on .

Today Mr. Shimoura ( Hakosuka GTR And ZG owner ) gave me an old picture attached on a wooden frame , he told me the engine is for KPGC 110 ( Ken & Merry GTR ) because the oil cap is a black plastic , and the carburetors has Philip head screws for a top cover .And the choke disc is a later type .

Kats

D3859DCD-23DF-411E-8412-5B6A46633F6D.jpeg

9EA322BC-4A5F-4669-9484-F7504034AFEA.jpeg

961EF271-A6A0-4A40-8B8B-971D8E6AD3DE.jpeg

• Like 1