kats

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

Hi Captain , I remember I learned “ don’t cry over spilled milk “ in junior high school! 

So I need to be calm down to avoid rushing into something “ not right “  for me . Or if I decide to go for a new world , I shall not look back where I used to be ...

Hi Blue , your Chinese friends are saying that , we have same words in Japan !!

So , we say “ don’t be a half way . If you stand up way tall , you won’t be hammered. If you can’t , just be nice like everyone.” 

Kats

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, kats said:

The canister would  not affect  its max power , so the 260Z except on the US got 162 ? PS , right ? 

According to my GRS30 engine bay ID plate that's correct.

https://www.viczcar.com/forum/gallery/image/7430-img_20181103_181003jpg/

As a side note , the still born Fairlady-260Z had a 170 PS engine with an electric fuel injector. I wish I could have the car , I hate “ oil crisis “ which affected automobile manufacturers.

I agree, I think it could have been a great GT car. Speaking of 2/2's what is the perception of them in Japan? It seems many people turn their noses up at the extended roof line. Having owned and driven both I liked my 2+2. The shape isn't quite as beautiful, but it was still a fantastic car and I would say in some ways a better handling more stable car.

And the parts catalog , very very nice, thanks !!

I thought you might already have a copy, I have a hard copy and PDF (I sent you). It is very useful.

• Like 1

Gavin, nowadays, people want two seaters for Z cars , but at that time sales volume of 2/2 was a noticeable, I can’t say precisely now but when I am home I can introduce some magazines  which have very interesting interviews with Nissan engineers. I remember something about 2/2 , they sold more than two seaters in Japan , like that . 

And interesting story about the roof line which I found in a magazine, the engineers 

were thinking about “ father “ and “ his son “ . Father pay for the car , his son of course wants to take the steering wheel. So , the engineers said “  there should be a respect for father . The best is same roof as two seater but , in that case father would feel uncomfortable. We took comfortable for the rear seat passenger,  so the roof had to be like that “ .

About the RHD parts catalog, I only have a December 1970 issued 😓.

Kats

• Like 1

Hi Patcon , you have a very kind grandmother, you were lucky student but , you did not take it , you are kind too . Are you too big to fit ? You don’t look that way for me 😁

Thanks psdenno , I like that high school story, that is funny!

Kats

1 hour ago, kats said:

Hi Patcon , you have a very kind grandmother, you were lucky student but , you did not take it , you are kind too . Are you too big to fit ? You don’t look that way for me 😁

Thanks psdenno , I like that high school story, that is funny!

Kats

I am very close to 2 metres tall.

A little big for all the older Ferraris. I guess they finally realized they needed pro athletes to be able to fit in their cars. LOL

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Patcon said:

I am very close to 2 metres tall.

A little big for all the older Ferraris. I guess they finally realized they needed pro athletes to be able to fit in their cars. LOL

I'm pretty tall to. Talking about Ferrari's... I can barely fit in my 1970 Mustang with the seat all the way back ( wonder how tall americans where back in the day those little fellas ?! ), the 240Z in that case gives me much more room. It's funny...

• Like 1

19 hours ago, kats said:

Hi Alan ,

I am checking parts what I have ? (for my PLS30 project😎  )  but I don’t have skills and don’t have an experience to  build an engine . I sometimes dream about doing it by myself under supervisor . 

To be honest, just looking at those interesting parts without assembling is the  most fun and happiest moment for me . When I put the parts once , then I can’t see the most of them .

Alan , or anyone please teach me , a bolt for securing a head and a block , Kameari -Engine Works sells “ Kyoka- type “ head bolt. Does it means more durable? More stiff ? I think it can be tighten much more higher torque than the one from Nissan original. 

But , I don’t think it is a good idea to tighten the bolts more than specifically directed in the service manual.

So , why people want “ Kyoka- type “aftermarket  bolts for the place which is specifically directed tightening torque? Here is the website Kameari Engine Works ,

http://www.kameariengineworks.co.jp/Catalogue-v3/catalogue-035-S20-NEW-20181203.pdf

I missed Nissan stock head bolts , I am thinking to buy Kameari or wait for another Nissan original new  bolts ( but I don’t know when it comes up next ! )

Kats

Alan , let me know when you begin your the third  S20 engine building!!

Kats,

About the Kameari 'Kyoka' bolts/studs for the S20 engine: This is not really any different to the upgraded bolts and studs offered for any other engine today. In fact, Kameari proudly state that they are made by ARP - probably the most trusted brand for this kind of item worldwide. ARP are almost a byword for quality and integrity, and they offer parts for our L-gata engines too. The advantage of such bolts and studs is that they are stronger for the same or similar torque settings, are often made from better materials than the OEM equipment due to advances in metallurgy, heat treatments and finishes, as well as retrospective re-engineering. Replacing factory bolts with ARP studs and nuts is very common these days and is certainly wiser than using old and/or untested parts. And when you can't see them inside the engine they are not going to be offensive to the eye.

I think you could easily rebuild an S20 yourself, Kats. They are beautifully designed and engineered, and a pleasure to assemble. It's not one big job, it's just lots of small ones. You can do it!

When I start to build S20 no.3 I'll let you know. I'll probably be needing some of those parts you've got there! But before that, I have to build an 'interesting' L24-based engine for the ex-Kuwashima san 240ZG. It's in the body shop being painted now.  

• Like 4

Some bolts also stretch when torque  is applied and should not be re-used. I don't know about factory bolts in that case, but the ARP ones may be reusable?

I agree with Alan, it would be good to give rebuilding an S20 a go. That's where all the fun is!

• Like 2

I am 6ft tall, Mr.K is taller than avarage for his generation . This picture was taken when my blue 240Z was under the restoration. 18 years ago , I was young !

Kats

240Zhistory 003.jpg

p1010009s_edited.JPG

p1010010s_edited.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 3

Alan, thank you for the information , Kameari Engine Works has been lived up to their parts , I will buy their ARP made bolts.

We are all looking forword to seeing your ex-Kuwashima san's racing Fairlady 240ZG, please post or start a thread in some time.

Gavin, thanks about the link of how to of engine rebuilding, but I am scared doing it !

Blue, I did not know a Chinese manufacture doing for S20 !! I am curious which is better , a shrinked Nissan genuine old gaskets which are almost unusable or , new and fit properly but made in China...    

I am not going to buy Chinese metal parts such as piston rings / bearings , and oil seals which I already bought enough and Nissan is still providing those kind of parts.   

Kats

I

35 minutes ago, kats said:

Blue, I did not know a Chinese manufacture doing for S20 !! I am curious which is better , a shrinked Nissan genuine old gaskets which are almost unusable or , new and fit properly but made in China...    

I am not going to buy Chinese metal parts such as piston rings / bearings , and oil seals which I already bought enough and Nissan is still providing those kind of parts.   

Kats

It could even be SR20. The website is very poorly written and a  lot of copy and paste.

• Like 1

Happy new year! I have just came back from Chicago , I lost my Japanese new year party at my home 😕

I opened the package which I have got from the auction, it is rotten but it has a pair of fog lamps !! I have never seen other cars have fog lamps except this one .

I may store it for my spare .

Kats

9FDA766B-77A8-4A17-95D8-5217F492F208.jpeg

316DE85E-FA6B-4D33-B35F-9DBADB9037EC.jpeg

CB7542AA-D681-45FF-A77B-395A74159FDE.jpeg

306035D7-28E0-411E-9EF9-246EB9C60879.jpeg

Kats, are these the OEM fog lamps? Or what's left of them? Is that why you bought the bumper? Are you going to try and have them reproduced?

• Like 1

Hi Gavin , I bought the bumper because it has the OEM fog lamps , even it remains it’s half of the whole thing , still attractive for me . I wanted  the brackets ( L and R are individual shape, as my Z432 has two R , the one is used for the left with slightly modified) , and bolts for the brackets.

And I see at least I have one spare bulb and a spare stay ! 

Also it is nice ce to have the bracket for the license plate. 

I do not need the bumper !

Kats

• Like 1

Kats,
About the Kameari 'Kyoka' bolts/studs for the S20 engine: This is not really any different to the upgraded bolts and studs offered for any other engine today. In fact, Kameari proudly state that they are made by ARP - probably the most trusted brand for this kind of item worldwide. ARP are almost a byword for quality and integrity, and they offer parts for our L-gata engines too. The advantage of such bolts and studs is that they are stronger for the same or similar torque settings, are often made from better materials than the OEM equipment due to advances in metallurgy, heat treatments and finishes, as well as retrospective re-engineering. Replacing factory bolts with ARP studs and nuts is very common these days and is certainly wiser than using old and/or untested parts. And when you can't see them inside the engine they are not going to be offensive to the eye.
I think you could easily rebuild an S20 yourself, Kats. They are beautifully designed and engineered, and a pleasure to assemble. It's not one big job, it's just lots of small ones. You can do it!
When I start to build S20 no.3 I'll let you know. I'll probably be needing some of those parts you've got there! But before that, I have to build an 'interesting' L24-based engine for the ex-Kuwashima san 240ZG. It's in the body shop being painted now.  

Any chance to have the s20 motor build documented? :) would be a very cool thing to see.
  • Like 1

I am a big fan of Alan’s Z432-R tribute car , that thread is so fun to read . 

Can you see this link ?

http://www50.tok2.com/home/WRJfactory/S20_01.htm

There are some how to’s articles of S20 , but not many on internet , and You tube . 

If I decided to rebuild S20 by myself, I of course recording my work  and up loading it to You tube . 

But it will take a certain time...

Kats

Very, very nice Kats, any Silvia (csp311 only) I love to see.

It is a pity it is missing a few things, grab handles above door, sunvisors, and has Bluebird 410/411 hubcaps. But still lovely.

Hopefully, the restoration of my one will be to a very high standard (it is so far with the length I am going to..)

For those who are interested, this website is rather good for the design/launch/motorsport of, what could be described as Nissan's first super car.

https://csp311.net/

(Oh, did I say the website is mine😉)

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RIP260Z said:

Very, very nice Kats, any Silvia (csp311 only) I love to see.

It is a pity it is missing a few things, grab handles above door, sunvisors, and has Bluebird 410/411 hubcaps. But still lovely.

Hopefully, the restoration of my one will be to a very high standard (it is so far with the length I am going to..)

For those who are interested, this website is rather good for the design/launch/motorsport of, what could be described as Nissan's first super car.

https://csp311.net/

(Oh, did I say the website is mine😉)

There's a lot of work waiting for you in your car!

Good luck with it!

• Like 1

Love it Kats, I have only ever seen 1 or 2 in person. The last 1 I saw in Australia in person was in 1998. I was at School back then, and I managed to convince 2 of my best friends to jump over the fence and go down the road to look at this car in person.

It had sadly been hit in the rear boot area (but fixable), and the original wheel was gone, but most of the interior was still there. It was in that "Gold" colour, but it had faded many times over. Wish we had camera phones back then. I did see the same car again in a shopping centre car park a few months later, but that was it.

Would love to know what happened to it, hopefully it was saved.

• Like 1