IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

I do not remember I show this before,maby once or twice I posted?

This scan tells us very interesting informations.Each car has each place(department) to belong and has subject to be used.

1 = S30-00001 Nissan Shatai (test drive)

2 = HLS30-00001 Q21 (production factory study)

3 = PS30-00001 Nissan Shatai (test drive)

4 = HLS30-00002 Nissan Shatai (test drive)

5 = S30-00002 Nissan Shatai (test drive)

6 = PS30-00002 K11 (registration)

7 = HS30-00001 Nissan Shatai (test drive)

8 = S30-00003 K11 (registration)

9 = S30-00004 F45 (K31 spare)

10 = S30-00005 F45 (K31 spare)

11 = PS30-00003 F45 (K31 spare)

12 = HLS30-00003 E81 (service; service manual? kats)

13 = S30-00006 F45 (for press/media)

14 = PS30-00004 F45 (K31 spare)

This report is dated 25th Jun 1969.

kats

Kats,

Please excuse me for cropping and highlighting a section of the document from Nissan Shatai concerning the Kojyo Shisaku and Seisan Shisaku body numbers etc, but I noticed something quite interesting......

'Kojyo Shisaku No.02' ( HLS30-00001 ) is noted as being 'HL270' type. Obviously '270' is that internal project tag for the S30-series Zs, and we know that 'H' usually referred to a large engine capacity variant ( L24 in this case ), whilst 'L' referred to Left Hand Drive.

Look down to 'Ichiji Seishi No.1' ( HLS30-00002 ) and we see that it is noted as being 'HL270U' type. I believe that the 'U' letter was consistently used ( even from early Bluebird days ) to denote North American market destination when paired with the 'L' prefix for LHD ( as opposed to the 'U' suffix used on certain RHD Export markets ).

Therefore I believe HLS30-00001 and HLS30-00002 can be seen to be different market variants to eachother. I believe HLS30-00001 may very well have been a 'Euro' market specification car, and I personally believe that it might have ended up at Nissan's competition department at Oppama, where it was prepared as a test car for the Rally campaign - being equipped with various sensors and recording equipment to download data whilst being driven on rally conditions.

It is a strong candidate to be the car tested by Rauno Aaltonen in January 1970 on the roads where the Monte Carlo Rallye had taken place. There is evidence to show that this car was a very early chassis number, and in order to be modified and equipped for the testing, and then shipped to the south of France in time for the testing commencing mid-January, it would have to have been so.

What do you think Kats?

Alan T.

post-2116-14150804080042_thumb.jpg

great info HS30-H. . . I just confuse about the correction you made "Kojyo Shisaku No.02' ( HLS30-00001 ) is noted as being 'HL270' type. Obviously '270' is that internal project tag for the S30-series Zs, and we know that 'H' usually referred to a large engine capacity variant ( L24 in this case ), whilst 'L' referred to Left Hand Drive."

When its been modified as HL270?

great info HS30-H. . . I just confuse about the correction you made "Kojyo Shisaku No.02' ( HLS30-00001 ) is noted as being 'HL270' type. Obviously '270' is that internal project tag for the S30-series Zs, and we know that 'H' usually referred to a large engine capacity variant ( L24 in this case ), whilst 'L' referred to Left Hand Drive."

I didn't make any correction. That's what is written on the document from Nissan Shatai that Kats posted a photo of in post #212.

I just added some thoughts / notes on it's contents. The prefixes 'H' and 'L' are known and accepted ( as used in the 'Katashiki' of the S30-series Z ), and the 'U' suffix - in this particular case signifying 'Hokubei Shiyo', where 'Hokubei' means 'North America' - was in use by Nissan / Nissan Shatai even before the S30-series Z was prototyped, and had been used on the 510-series Bluebird project. The 'U' suffix was then used as an official marker to signify a difference in market / destination versions of a similar type. Hence we saw for example 'HLS30U' models and 'HLS30' models, and HS30U' models and 'HS30' models. There were extra suffixes ( and even extra prefixes[/i[ in the home market 'Katashiki' ) that signify further differences in model types and variants.

It all becomes quite complicated when vernacular use turns into official use........

When its been modified as HL270?

'270' was Nissan's - and specifically Nissan Shatai's - internal reference for what we know as the S30-series Z, as relating to the 'job' they were doing on it. The whole project was known as the '270' project, before being given a chassis code & variant markers, and before being given either the 'Fairlady Z', 'Fairlady Z432' or '240Z' and 'Datsun' names.

You can see the '270' project code quite clearly on the documents that Kats obtained from Nissan Shatai, and posted on this thread.

I would guess that there is a very good chance that this ( perhaps somewhat random? ) project number might well have inspired the '240' in '240Z', when the 'Fairlady' name was not wanted for the north American market. I could certainly imagine that Nissan Shatai's staff, as well as the design team and others involved, may well have got quite used to using the project name '270' during the design and pre-production process. Maybe some of that stuck? It is only a short step to link such a three figure number to engine capacity, and therefore to really mean something. Pure speculation on my part, but it does not seem too far-fetched.

Alan T.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I have got a set of service slide film from Ebay.

7 reals, lots of pictures in there at this time only one real is opened so far.

I revice my website,

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/

Alan, your posts make me think HLS30-00001 is euro version , this film showing the car which is also used in service manuals,this car does not have an antenna.Is this a good sign of being euro is not it?This car must be the same the red one, used some other catalogs and manuals.Not for sure the VIN but must be very very early.

kats

post-3193-1415080514035_thumb.jpg

Did "Euro" versions get the rubber trim on the bumpers? What we call the "Euro" bumper comes without the rubber trim, nor the holes to mount it.

The car in the picture also has no Emblems of any kind..

Interesting as usual - thanks Kats,

Carl B.

Carl,

All the information I have about European destination exports show bumper rubbers. I seem to recall discussing this some time ago. There is no such thing as a "Euro" bumper. I believe the bumpers without holes are reproductions.

Thanks fo the slides, Kats. What a great find, on eBay of all places! The coloring of the slide film has deteriorated with the typical "Kodachrome" red remaining. My 16mm films are in the same condition. It might be worth it to have the slides restored to their original color. I did not notice an ID plate in the engine bay.

Edited by 26th-Z

Hi Chris:

The bumpers without rubber trim have always been listed in the Parts Catalog.

62650-E4102 ASSY-FRONT BUMPER (With Rubber Hole)

62650-E4103 ASSY-FRONT BUMPER (Less Rubber Hole) From 06/70

As an interesting aside - the rubber stips on the bumpers were required by certain State Laws - Florida was one of them. GM window stickers used to list the additional charge for the "Florida Required Rubber Bumper Trim"... around 74 it was $29.95 AIR.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Hi,

I have got a set of service slide film from Ebay.

7 reals, lots of pictures in there at this time only one real is opened so far.

I revice my website,

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/

kats

Very nice slides Kats ;). I noticed a couple of other unusual things about this car.

- The air cleaner looks like it is not orange. Maybe light blue, like the later replacement ones available from the dealer?

- It looks like the air cleaner is also secured with large philips head screws instead of wind nuts.

- There is no emissions sticker on the underside of the hood.

- The front crossmember is pretty scratched up on the underside, kind of like what some might describe as "shelf wear".

-Mike

post-9102-14150805141246_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805141786_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150805142187_thumb.jpg