IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

I'm not really sure that Nissan Motors Ltd. in Japan actually had franchised Dealerships, in the sense that we did here in America. Where large inventories of new cars were on display, large Parts Departments socked huge inventories of parts and Service Departments handled all warranty work and mechanical work after the sale.

Perhaps you could light a candle there as well, and inform us all of the exact retail sales arrangements in Japan in 1970. Did retail salesmen really come to one's home to sell the car, or is that just an urban legend ? Did one buy their car one place, then take it elsewhere for service or repair? What was the warranty on a new car purchased in Japan?

FWIW,

Carl B.

Speaking from current knowledge, and having been told that it hasn't changed much, the car buying/owning experience in Japan is much like this:

Yes, they acutally did (and still do) come to the house to sell you a car, or you can go to the dealership and buy. My father-in-law just had a new BMW delivered to his house back in October - and they took away the old BMW trade-in too. The deal was concluded at the dining room table where the salesman turned over the keys and father handed him a stack of money 6 inches tall.

Cars are serviced at the dealership. You can go to the one that sold you the car or any other one that you choose. You can also go to an independent garage or repair shop.

Common parts are kept at the dealership, while other less common ones are shipped from factory warehouses. The factory warehouse in Yokohama could get me parts for the Skyline from anywhere in Japan by the next day as long as they were still available.

As far as stores go, they're all company owned, though they may have names that reflect the area that they're located in. My Toyota was sold through Kanagawa Toypet (we lived in Kanagawa prefecture). These shops were called Tokyo Toyopet in Tokyo. Interstingly enough, you can only buy certain cars at certain shops, even though they are all one brand. NIssan has "Red Stage" and "Blue Stage" shops while Toyota has "Toyota," "Toyopet," "Netz," and "Vista" shops.

Unlike the US, the dealerships do not have huge inventories of cars. Maybe just one of each type that they sell so that you can see, feel and smell it. The shopping is done by catalog and they call you when the car is ready. Although the car may exist in Japan somewhere, you normally can't get it for 2-3 weeks because of the registration process. In fact, they will not sell you a car if your parking space is too small. I have heard of a millionaire rice farmer who can only buy small Kei-cars because the road to his house is not wide enough for anything bigger.

FWIW miles

Hi Miles:

Thanks - very interesting. Of course some information always leads to more questions.

Most of the New Car Dealers here in the States derive a great deal of their income from their used car sales. They either retail the cars they take in on trade, or wholesale them out to other used car dealers.

What do the New Car Dealers do with the cars taken on trade in Japan?

You mentioned auto registration takes some time - but I understand that it also involves several different forms and amounts of taxation.

To tie all this back to the 240-Z and 432Z:

Since the early 50's Japan has had a tax on private vehicles, based on the engine displacement. Do you know, or can you find out, how much that tax was in 1967 - 70. It seems to have had a great impact on cars sold there with over 1499cc engines. As I understand it, it is an annual tax not just a one time penalty like our Gas Guzzler Tax on new vehicles.

regards,

Carl B.

Most of the New Car Dealers here in the States derive a great deal of their income from their used car sales. They either retail the cars they take in on trade, or wholesale them out to other used car dealers.

What do the New Car Dealers do with the cars taken on trade in Japan?.

The Japanese car dealers transfer the used cars to their own used car lots and sell them; wholesale them at auction; or ship them off to some other country- Russia and China at the moment. Car values drop like rocks when a new model comes out. We lost an average of at least $50.00 a week in value when my wife decided to sell her not-quite 3 year old car after the new model came out.

You mentioned auto registration takes some time - but I understand that it also involves several different forms and amounts of taxation.

Yes. Initial registration includes road tax, weight tax, mandatory insurance coverage that transfers with the CAR, notary fees, registration document fees, license plate fees, car disposal fees (new, since 2005), fees for the inspection forms, parking space certificate, and fees to have someone do all this for you. The car dealers make a lot of money on this service - especially at the re-registration period. Some of the fees are annual, some are one-time, and some are charged at each re-registration period (2 or 3 years).

To tie all this back to the 240-Z and 432Z:

Since the early 50's Japan has had a tax on private vehicles, based on the engine displacement. Do you know, or can you find out, how much that tax was in 1967 - 70. It seems to have had a great impact on cars sold there with over 1499cc engines. As I understand it, it is an annual tax not just a one time penalty like our Gas Guzzler Tax on new vehicles.

The fee based on engine displacement is the road tax. It is paid annually each April. The last time I checked, it was Y38,000 for an "ordinary car" with an engine displacement over 660cc, but less than 2000cc. The Japanese are very good at circumventing this tax, as my car was classed as a 3-liter, but actually displaced 2,998cc, putting it into a lower tax bracket. That being said, the Fairlady Z, with its 2000cc L-gata engine fell into the "under 2000cc" tax bracket and probably explains why the 2.4 L was not offered in Japan for a long time. I don't know what the tax may have been in 1967-70, but maybe Kats could find out.

Hi Kats,

Absolutely love your PS30. Have your website on my favourites list.

As with alot of people on this forum, they would love to have a PS30. But what about JDM owners in Japan, is there a export S30 model they would like to have? E.g.the JDM did not get the American market 280z with its fuel injection, or the 260z (they did but they were recalled very quickly) to give a couple of examples. I am not asking to know whether a particular S30 model is better or worse that another, but if there was a export model (if any) that the S30 owners in Japan think reached a good mix of characteristics and/or pinncale of development? Alan and yourself have been talking on this thread about how different models handle, rev, sound, ride, and from that some sound as different as chalk and cheese.

I hope I have explained well enough what I am trying to answer.

Regards

Ian

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Kats:

Funny - that is exactly the way I was thinking when I had my First wife.

just kidding,

Carl B.

Hi Carl,I realized the same when I posted it.I have never had an experience of divorce but I really understand what you are saying.

I will reply some,soon.

kats

PS.This car belongs to Mr.Len Welch KENT U.K.

post-3193-14150800672574_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Hello,

I did not know my Z432's ignition sw face plate is different from my 240Z.

There is "GARAGE" insted of "OFF" on the face plate.

I checked my Fairlady Z owner's manual,issued Nov 1969,there is a discription about ignition SW position.It says, "GARAGE" for please use when you do not need to lock the steering.This position allows you operate lighting system and horn."

kats

cylinder.pdf

key.pdf

owners.pdf

Thanks Kats. Just when I didn't think I was going to learn anything new today. You will probably continue to notice discreet differences, and I look forward to seeing them.

I did not have a problem with Acrobat opening the owners.pdf.

Hello,

I did not know my Z432's ignition sw face plate is different from my 240Z.

There is "GARAGE" insted of "OFF" on the face plate.

I checked my Fairlady Z owner's manual,issued Nov 1969,there is a discription about ignition SW position.It says, "GARAGE" for please use when you do not need to lock the steering.This position allows you operate lighting system and horn."

kats

Hi Kats,

My New Zealand new Datsun 240z (ie RHD general export spec) has the "GARAGE" marking too. It is a 1971 model with a chassis number just a little over 1800 with factory fender mirrors.

Hi,

First let me go back this thread a few months.

Ian,I would like to show this.My boss in the company who loves Z like me owns this 280Z.He also spent a few years in Bakesfield CA as a cheaf instructor of the flight training.He shipped this 280Z to Japan with his returning.

In Japan,there are not many enthusiasts of American Z.Very few there but exist.Like me,people of DATSUN 240Z fan is not many.American Z is way cheap in Japan.I am not happy with this...

I like this big bumper,and yellow!

Thank you Will ,geezer,

And I wanted to put as JPG,I need to study computer...

NZeder,

Thank you Good information,I was wondering this "GARAGE" is only for japan or not.

One thing I want to know,is your turn signal SW lever is Strait or Curved?

Fairlady Z has different steering wheel which got the horn bottun is same surface as wheel.( I can not exprain well,how do you say?) 3 metal spokes are shorter than exported model,i.e. the wheel is set slightly dash side than expoted model.

So,the JDM turn signal lever has to be strait.If it was not,your fingers could be hooked between them.

If NZeder,your turnsignal SW lever is strait,there are prenty of space.

If it is curved towards wheel,it will be nice to operate.I believe your wheel is exported model like my HLS30.

Thank you,

kats

kats

post-3193-14150801162597_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801162887_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150801163089_thumb.jpg

NZeder,

Thank you Good information,I was wondering this "GARAGE" is only for japan or not.

One thing I want to know,is your turn signal SW lever is Strait or Curved?

Fairlady Z has different steering wheel which got the horn bottun is same surface as wheel.( I can not exprain well,how do you say?) 3 metal spokes are shorter than exported model,i.e. the wheel is set slightly dash side than expoted model.

So,the JDM turn signal lever has to be strait.If it was not,your fingers could be hooked between them.

If NZeder,your turnsignal SW lever is strait,there are prenty of space.

If it is curved towards wheel,it will be nice to operate.I believe your wheel is exported model like my HLS30.

Thank you,

kats

I will have a look tonight when I get home from work.

Yesterday I visited a friend who has an Australian new 71 240z and this too has the "GARAGE" on the ignition key cover.