IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Thank you Blue !!

I did not know it is able to swap, what a wonderful solution . Am I the only one who did not know this here ? I have never heard of this in Japan, even some Z shop is telling it is almost impossible to make a replica , not only mechanical but also 10000 face.  Or if it can be  , you have to pay big money. 

Internal issues are cleared, then if you have some good painter for the 10000 face, you can get a Z432 tach easily. 

Some questions,

#1 when did S30s have voltage type tach ? Was it related to the change that they became to have a transistor ignition system ?

#2  In this swap, the 280Z tach is really capable to bring its needle up to 10000 rpm ? I am just a skeptical person little bit, because I do not have any electronic/mechanical knowledge. 

Kats

On 1/4/2018 at 9:54 PM, kats said:

Thank you Blue !!

I did not know it is able to swap, what a wonderful solution . Am I the only one who did not know this here ? I have never heard of this in Japan, even some Z shop is telling it is almost impossible to make a replica , not only mechanical but also 10000 face.  Or if it can be  , you have to pay big money. 

Internal issues are cleared, then if you have some good painter for the 10000 face, you can get a Z432 tach easily. 

Some questions,

#1 when did S30s have voltage type tach ? Was it related to the change that they became to have a transistor ignition system ?

#2  In this swap, the 280Z tach is really capable to bring its needle up to 10000 rpm ? I am just a skeptical person little bit, because I do not have any electronic/mechanical knowledge. 

Kats

Hi Kats,

I'm glad to help.

#1  I checked the FSM's for North American Z's and the first electronic ignitions started in 1974 with the 260z.  The start date would be 08/73. You can see the tach part numbers here: http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/meters.  I checked the 260z schematic and the input to the tach is taken from the coil -neg terminal so it is voltage type tach.

#2 I did not calibrate 280z meters yet but I have some spares and can try to see if I can adjust the sensitivity and scale to respond to the equivalent to 10,000 rpm (input = 500Hz). The 280z unit goes to 8,000 rpm which is driven by 400Hz so there is not a huge input difference.

image.png

image.png

Edited by 240260280
  • Thanks 1

Those Works Rally air cleaner assays are amazing.  I thought of a making a set someday for another car.  You have originals and NOS at that!  Keep up the awesome thread Kats.  This is what dreams are made of.  Your cars are phenomenal and I have only seen pictures of the museum your cars are at in the pages of Nostalgic Hero.

Sincerely,

Ben

Edited by v12horse
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Blue,  I am now reading and learning which you provided. I want to know what the ignition system is, looks like it is interesting but I have to study hard. 

One question,  you did wonderful work of tach swapping, 

Is the hybrid tach used for a STD ignition with a STD distributor in your 240Z?  

Or if you use it , is it mandatory to use with an electric ignitor with an electric distributor in your 240Z ?

Kats

On 2018/1/6 at 10:13 AM, v12horse said:

Those Works Rally air cleaner assays are amazing.  I thought of a making a set someday for another car.  You have originals and NOS at that!  Keep up the awesome thread Kats.  This is what dreams are made of.  Your cars are phenomenal and I have only seen pictures of the museum your cars are at in the pages of Nostalgic Hero.

Sincerely,

Ben

Hello Ben !!!

Long Long time no see, how are you doing? I hope you are enjoying your Z, it was 2004 when we first met at the junction in Long Beach !

How is your 260Z doing ?

Kats

1 hour ago, kats said:

Thank you Blue,  I am now reading and learning which you provided. I want to know what the ignition system is, looks like it is interesting but I have to study hard. 

One question,  you did wonderful work of tach swapping, 

Is the hybrid tach used for a STD ignition with a STD distributor in your 240Z?  

Or if you use it , is it mandatory to use with an electric ignitor with an electric distributor in your 240Z ?

Kats

Hi Kats,

I restored a 71 240z for a good friend. One of the project goals was performance so I installed a 280zx distributor with the small electronic ignition module on the side.  To make this work, I had to change out the 240z tach's internal circuit board with a 280z circuit board, and also run a new wire from the coil negative terminal to the tach.

FYI I have a nice 74 260z tach that I just tried to calibrate.  Unfortunately my coil simulating signal was not strong enough to drive the tach.  Later this winter I'll have another go at seeing if I can get a better driver circuit.

Edited by 240260280
  • Thanks 1

On 1/4/2018 at 8:54 PM, kats said:

then if you have some good painter for the 10000 face, you can get a Z432 tach easily

Perhaps the 10000RPM instrument face could be created rather easily as a computer-generated image and then printed onto some type of thin, durable material by a commercial printer.  It could then be carefully trimmed to shape and glued onto the existing instrument face (or maybe just laid over top, without using glue).

• Thanks 1

I see , so a voltage type tach must always go with an electric distributor and an electric ignitor , right ? If they are not installed correctly ( mixed up, vice versa) , you may break them , that Is what I have read from the text so far.

And I found this shop in Japan, this shop

http://acqua-garage.com/NISSAN/Meter/index.html

is doing repairs for the tach , and even they offer modifying your tach just like a works rally 10000 scale tach. The needle taking a rest at 6 o’clock is so cool !!!

Kats

B9ABE7A0-9561-44CB-A977-BEB17A7712E8.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Wunder if the tach needle workes like the speedometer needle? That you can adjust it by hand (when you have the needle out you can put it back a bit forward or back it off a bit to read faster or slower)? If the tach needle workes that way it would be easy to make a tachometer plate with the 0 rpm at 6 o'clock.

It sure looks cool.

• Thanks 1

Hi Kats,

For those of us in a hurry or with limited skills.... yes, it is easiest to match the electronic ignition with the correct electronic tach circuit board (3 wire voltage type) or to use the early points ignition with corresponding passive (4 wire induction type).... HOWEVER, this clever member of our board developed a circuit board  to allow an early 4 wire points tach to work with electronic ignition modules:

http://www.classiczcars.com/forums/topic/34295-converting-a-four-wire-tacho-current-driven-to-an-electronic-tacho/

Cool racing tachs above!    I think racers typically put the sweet spot at 12 o'clock position for quick viewing.

• Thanks 1