IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

On 2017/12/25 at 10:25 PM, grannyknot said:

Kats,  what kind of filter media is in those air boxes?   It kind of looks like oiled gauze.

Hi , I am not for sure but it looks like a same filter which we have on our L -series engine . 

What I was surprised is the filter paper is secured in a metal flame which is riveted. If you want replace it you have to buy a whole thing , i.e a filter paper in a metal flame.

I may not be able to buy new filters as they are getting rare and rare, I will have to change the filter using a drill to brake rivets .And hand plying a filter paper which is brought from some other car.

Kats

IMG_4300.JPG

IMG_4341.PNG

IMG_4346.PNG

IMG_4472.JPG

IMG_4473.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Thanks 1

Hi, I replaced a battery (left is a new one, right is an old one 13 years of service! ) and fitted a nice authentic decal. Thanks Jay, this YUASA logo is super cool just like an original battery.

A metal early fan is taking a rest in a shelf . 

Kats

IMG_4460.JPG

IMG_4464.JPG

IMG_4465.JPG

IMG_4467.JPG

IMG_4484.JPG

IMG_4485.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

I will post something rare,

this is a bumper over rider which Mr.Matsuo gave me . You can see the rubber nipple, and the most interesting thing is the front face is wider than the  later one which is bolted to secure the rubber to the over rider.

I think the rubber nipple indicates earliest part, what do you think of it? Do you see what I am talking about in the picture which was taken

in the test drive in the US in late 1969 ? 

kats

overrider.jpg

STILL0509.jpg

Head light case, right side is light, left side is heavy .

If you look carefully around stud bolt basement, reinforcement is quite different. I think less meat around the stud bolt basement indicates "early" .

I found this during the restoration, did left side "hevy " case join later because of an accident? Or is this normal i.e. left is heavy and right is light.

How about your head light case ?

Kats

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3918.JPG

IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

• Like 1

WASO type and VOSS type

These are both for the US and CANADA as you can see they have a switch for warning buzzer. And these are both early type.

According to the service bulletins, VOSS type is applied from the beggining , even so, the service manual both (Japan and HLS30) shows WASO type.

I see some S30 cars have this WASO type, big cylinder and long key.

SP/SR or other model used WASO, so S30 might have mixed up in early days.

I chechked Safari winner car number 11 has WASO type. And the key is very mint condition ,probably they only ran a few years in its life.

Kats  

IMG_3405.JPG

IMG_3403.JPG

IMG_3400.JPG

IMG_3396.JPG

IMG_3401.JPG

On 2017/7/6 at 10:55 PM, kats said:

And some comparison to plan throttle linkage , and exhaust.

Kats

ps30-00088 048.jpg

IMG_3931.JPG

I checked it today , I now have confidence in that , I can make a "PLS30" without modification of the exhaust manifold.

Just need a little modification of the throttle linkage .

Please see the pictures, I placed a stick in a position of the LHD steering mechanism.

I see the stick is free from any other parts, it does not touch  anything.

Kats

IMG_4575.JPG

IMG_4593.JPG

IMG_4596.JPG

IMG_4597.JPG

IMG_4598.JPG

IMG_4601.JPG

IMG_4612.JPG

IMG_4653.JPG

IMG_4654.JPG

IMG_4655.JPG

IMG_4656.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kats said:

I checked it today , I now have confidence in that , I can make a "PLS30" without modification of the exhaust manifold.

Just need a little modification of the throttle linkage .

Please see the pictures, I placed a stick in a position of the LHD steering mechanism.

I see the stick is free from any other parts, it does not touch  anything.

Good!

However, it still looks a little close to the exhaust manifold to me. I'm thinking that the engine needs some space to twist in torque reaction (pivoting on an axis through the crankshaft centre line and transmission main shaft) and you may need to 'cheat' a little extra space by shimming the engine mounts a little more away from the steering shaft? I think you have space to do that.

• Thanks 1

Thanks Alan, that is what I am worried about too,  so far it looks sufficient about "buffer " for the engine movement . 

But it is just testing , to prove my hypothesis , I have to wait until I actually put the S20 in the LHD 240Z.

Kats

Tachometer comparison,

Left : Z432 , Right : L - series

This Z432 tach is one of the most hardest thing to come by in working condition ( except works racing tach ) like an "Assy - air cleaner"  whole set up. Because these parts does not share with Skyline GTR not other S30s . 

Z432 tach has only one yellow wire , this is a voltage type , L-series has two white wire, this is an electric current type, am I correct ?

Kats

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

IMG_4667.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG