IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hi everyone, like Chris and other folks are telling that the shaft will never keep its shape forever. I will apply grease on the shaft before starting the engine .

Today I would like to show you this , my poor hand drawing, can you tell what I am thinking about .

Kats

IMG_2371.JPG

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kats said:

Today I would like to show you this , my poor hand drawing, can you tell what I am thinking about .

Yes Kats, I can see you have too much free time between flights.

I can sympathise. I went to a Jesuit school, and we were forced to wear boxing gloves in bed.   

• Like 1

One question, though. At this point it's something of a pipedream, so you don't have to face reality, but what chassis designation would you give it?

'PLS30'? 

How about 'KPLS30' (K for Kats)?

:)

• Like 1

I'm guessing this is the 1 and only LHD powered S20 that was discussed in DATSUN 240Z Engineering Development?

http://www.lulu.com/au/en/shop/hitoshi-uemura/datsun-240z-engineering-development/paperback/product-22879948.html

Page 50 Chapter 3.

Prototypes:

Car No. 11 230HP G8B engine with triple webers.

Car No. 3 180HP G8B Triple Solex.

Are you dreaming of what could have been Kats?

• Like 1

Hi Alan , I like the story of wearing boxing gloves ! Yes I probably have been under stressful hotel staying.

ROFL

And you nailed it, I have been thinking of "PLS30" ! How did you know that? if we had LHD model with S20 engine from the factory, what would it have been ? I did not even think about "K " for Kats , ha ha.

Hi Gave , yes that book also inspired me to do a project , making  a LHD 240Z with a S20 engine. I have been dreaming about  making it before we (except Alan) came to know Nissan had a test car which has  the S20 in the LHD body shell.

My hand drawing is a blueprint, I am hoping I go for it not so far from now.

I just want to do something new.

Kats

Edited by kats
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, kats said:

And you nailed it, I have been thinking of "PLS30" ! How did you know that? if we had LHD model with S20 engine from the factory, what would it have been ? I did not even think about "K " for Kats , ha ha.

Hi Gave , yes that book also inspired me to do a project , making  a LHD 240Z with a S20 engine. I have been dreaming about  making it before we (except Alan) came to know Nissan had a test car which has  the S20 in the LHD body shell.

My hand drawing is a blueprint, I am hoping I go for it not so far from now.

I just want to do something new.

Kats

Hi Kats,

I think it's an interesting idea for a project car, and your drawing skills are good. I think you have specified a lot of really nice 'special' parts that will fit well together as a spec package, but I'm interested to hear about your interior concept (steering wheel and seats especially).

As noted in your sketch, tricky points will be the exhaust manifold/steering shaft clearance (I think you can make a special manifold to suit, as indeed the factory must have done for their LHD S20 powered Z experiments) and the mechanical throttle linkage (again, you can make something to solve this) and I also think you will have to modify the oil pan to fit around the LHD steering rack in a mirror-image of the RHD version. You'll need to source or fabricate the S20-specific engine crossmember, like I had to. 

I think the electrical side of things will be tricky unless you fabricate new sections of wiring harness that interface between LHD (L-gata specific) dash harness and the S20-specific engine room harness. I've been through the RHD L-gata dash harness/S20 engine room harness experience and it is complicated! I wonder if one of Nishi san's NOS/repro 432 harnesses could be adapted to LHD configuration? That would be simpler I think.

So what colour is it going to be? :)

• Like 1

Gave, I do not know much about that car, but I think we can make a tribute car .

Pick up an U.K. or AUS 260Z 2+2 , then put a "Fairlady-260Z" emblem on it. Then you buy an assy  of G nose and install it to the car. 

Or buy a Fairlady-Z 2/2 then put a L26 and the emblems , also put the G nose. 

I see the rear bumper is painted in grey just like Fairlady-240ZG. 

Nissan made and listed the emblems for "Fairlady-260Z" in the parts catalog , this indicates they  prepared little bit for the production . Some  people bought it for having fun. 

I guess the reason why we were able to buy a full set of G -nose somewhere around 2000 at local Nissan , they would have made enough G-nose for departure of "Fairlady-260Z" .

Some of my friends who bought G-nose like those days said it costed 450000 JPY (650000-1000000 JPY today!)  and it came with a set of ducts for better air flow for cooling. This means that G-nose is later type, Nissan added the ducts for improvement for the air conditioned car. Fairlady-260Z was supposed to have an air conditioning system as a standard equipment. 

Kats

IMG_2409.JPG

IMG_2410.JPG

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

IMG_2414.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Alan, Thank you for the advice, yes I need to talk about this with you and I would like to hear more from you about what is difficult and what is easy. 

Your questions are perfect, I was trying to say the concept, interior and exterior colors.

My goal is to have flavor of factory made, and put image what engineers /workers  at sales and export departments would made the car for the US.

It is fun for me imagining if Datsun dealer had sold a car like a Z432 in the US, what it would have been like ?

I will not be making people surprised to show a car which has exact same exterior of Z432 with Fairlady badges on a LHD 240Z, that is not my taste.

Also I do not think about "perfect original US 240Z except engine " type car. Steel wheels with hub caps and a single pipe exhaust system are not suitable for the S20 .

So I will remain all the exterior lightings of the US model. Bumper over riders there , as well as DATSUN emblem on the bonnet , front fenders and the rear deck. However, 432 badges will be on front wings and rear deck to say this car could be the one from the factory.

Interior items, I will put a stop watch, 10000 rpm tachometer , 8 track stereo system. A horn pad and a glove box door have a Datsun emblem.  

Seats, I will remain dial reclining mechanism just because I feel "US S30" from it. I really like it because I can adjust whatever I want. 

Choke and throttle levers will be there.

And color, I still do not know. Blue interior with 919 Le man yellow, or black with 920 Safari gold, or 905 Daytona red would be nice . 

Oil pan, exhaust, wiring, etc etc . Many things have to be sorted out.

Oh, but is that a dent for LHD on the S20 only special cross member in the top picture ? 

Engineers prepared for it just in case? 

Kats

IMG_2374.JPG

IMG_2378.JPG

IMG_2382.JPG

IMG_2386.JPG

Edited by kats

Hi Blue, I also remember Mr.Matsuo told me that , Laurel? is the one which had the cassette on the console.

Mr.Matsuo gave me a prototype of AM/FM deck used in a S30 during its development.

Kats

Alan, are you talking about this race option knuckle arm of your interest for the subject of steering ?

I do not know I will put this or not, according to the manuals standard Z432 has 115mm type like other models. Only Z432-R has 105mm type. 

Some people said 105mm is very very quick and gets driver tired if he does not want to race. 

However I am curious about the 105 arm, 

I should try at least once . Then I will decide.

Kats

IMG_2416.PNG

IMG_2417.PNG

• Like 1