IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Thank you everyone for looking at my ZG and the video of the test drive.

Today I show you my S20 parts, a racing option starter motor and a racing alternator.They are lighter than the normal ones. 

The alternator has a big pulley, 

the starter has an aluminum body.

Kats

IMG_7674.JPG

IMG_7683.JPG

IMG_7696.JPG

IMG_7697.JPG

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Hi , today I found a plastic fan for L20, this is a good chance to make a tribute engine , "L24 with triple carbs for 240Z"

Nissan did not sell that engine, just planned.

I have got a inlet manifold, people saying this is made by NISMO, looking at some details, it is different from the others.

I can not find any manufacturer's stamp or marking on it,

the most interesting thing is the lever which is welded to the shaft. 

With this inlet manifold, plastic fan, and a race option exhaust header, it is going to be looking good.

Kats

PS tool boxes, they are old ! ニッサン & DATSUN .

IMG_0592.JPG

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0611.JPG

IMG_0613.JPG

IMG_0616.JPG

IMG_0621.JPG

IMG_0622.JPG

IMG_0623.JPG

IMG_0609.JPG

IMG_0612.JPG

IMG_0618.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks Fred !

Can I get 175 HP just using the triple carbs and the race exhaust? If so, what a great engine !

At Japanese race tracks,  Z432R was fading out after Nissan works switched to L24.

From 1971, most of results were made by 240Z.

Kats

IMG_0626.JPG

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, kats said:

At Japanese race tracks,  Z432R was fading out after Nissan works switched to L24.

From 1971, most of results were made by 240Z.

Kats,

For quite a long time I've been trying to get people to understand that the first of those first works '240Z' race cars were still 432-Rs, but with LR24 engines installed. They might have been called '240Zs' for convenience (that's what Nissan was selling...) but they were still very much PZRs.

19 minutes ago, kats said:

Can I get 175 HP just using the triple carbs and the race exhaust? If so, what a great engine !

Only if you worked for Nissan's sales and promotions department in 1969...

• Like 1

Thanks Alan, that is an important point.

I should say "for S30, S20 engine was fading out" .

Seems when people (even factory racers , mecanics) talking about racing car, they say "240Z" for L24 mounted  (yes it is PZR body or could be others for private racer later ?) . They say "Z432R" for S20 mounted PZR.

It is interesting to seeing registered name "Datsun sports 240Z " , and chassis ID "HS30" for 26th July 1970 Fuji 1000km in a car magazine, is this true for JAF official entry(registered) name/ ID ?

Alan you are the only one can tell us.(sorry 

thousands times repeat!)

My question is why Z432 was produced mostly in 1969 (approx 80)

and 1970(approx 260).

1971 to 1973 , approximately 80. 

When Fairlady-240Z debuted in Japan late 1971 , there is no picture of Z432 in the brochure.

Was that cause of Nissan switched to L24 in racing ? At that time Nissan sales-man was selling Z432R with asking price 800,000 yen( Z432 was 1,850,000 yen), what a bargain!

Kats

I see the radiator hose was handmade for the Z432 one, and the other one had modified top of the radiator for using L series radiator hose.

IMG_0627.JPG

IMG_0629.JPG

Edited by kats

2 hours ago, kats said:

Seems when people (even factory racers , mecanics) talking about racing car, they say "240Z" for L24 mounted  (yes it is PZR body or could be others for private racer later ?) . They say "Z432R" for S20 mounted PZR.

It is interesting to seeing registered name "Datsun sports 240Z " , and chassis ID "HS30" for 26th July 1970 Fuji 1000km in a car magazine, is this true for JAF official entry(registered) name/ ID ?

Alan you are the only one can tell us.(sorry 

thousands times repeat!)

Kats,

I don't want to clutter up your thread with a big off-topic diversion. There was a recent thread here (now much edited and revised, and even with some of the photos I posted in reply subsequently cut-and-pasted back into the first post, a habit which makes nonsense of much of what we do here) in which I attempted to answer some of the same questions:

It's impossible to answer such questions without going into the complex interdepartmental politics at play (ex-Prince Murayama/Ogikubo vs Nissan Oppama et al) and the conflicting interests, power struggle and growing pains that soundtracked it all. Nissan and Prince were only a few short years on from their (forced) merger, and basically the ex-Prince guys were never really happy that *their* blue-blooded race-derived engine was being used in an S30-series car in the first place. A lot of what we observe was simply a function of that...

In trying to undrestand the 432 and 432-R (especially the 432-R) I always find it helpful to look to Nissan's clear inspiration: The Porsche 911S and the 911T/R and 911R. The 911R in particular was a big reference point for Nissan when they created the 432-R, and there are many parallels. I sometimes hear - and read - people talking about the 432 and 432-R as though they were some kind of failure because "Nissan gave up after making just 420 or so". I don't think I've ever heard the same thing about cars such as the 911R, 911RS or 911RSR, and that's hopefully because people understand a little more about the reasons for their existence and their context. These are homologation specials that we are talking about here. Cars created and sold to the general public with the specific purpose of legalising them - along with many of the parts they used - for race use in certain categories. The 432 was created to qualify for sports car racing's 'G.T.' class and the 432-R was created to qualify for sports cars racing's 'Prototype' class. The minimum requirement for the Prototype class was for 25 cars of the same specification to be manufactured, which Nissan satisfied with the 432-R just as Porsche had done with the 911R. Nissan - like Porsche - never had any great intention (let alone the capacity for production or projected sales...) of churning out thousands of such cars. Rather than looking at production totals for the 432/432-R as "only" 420-odd I'd say that - all things considered - the whole thing was a success as a halo model, as an exercise in homologation and racing/rallying and an important step in becoming a world class auto maker and I'm actually surprised that they managed to sell as many as they did.    

Once the 432-R had been created, and had won, it had served its purpose as far as Nissan were concerned. The parts, specs and knowledge lived on through 1970 in domestic circuit racing and through to the end of 1971 in international rallying (the FIA outlawing the 432-R's legacy parts for the 1972 international season). 'Job done'.          

• Like 3