IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

On 9/11/2016 at 9:33 PM, kats said:

More exhaust, this is a Nissan race option header for L24 ,

I think this can be used for LHD , I am tempted to install this to my HLS 240Z in some time. When I do that, E4200 (for 1970 blue 240Z)/ E8710 (for 1971 orange 240Z or 1972 ZG)  exhaust system will come together.

My friend (240ZG owner) is doing something nice, this race header with SU carbs. He said it is fun to drive, no need to have Solex! 

Kats

image.jpeg

I admire this part greatly, with perhaps a touch of envy.  Keep finding rare parts such as these, and posting pictures for us.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi, 

I saw my L24 , there are some differences between E31 and E88. Have we talked about this already?

How do you say this tiny banana shape of the cylinder head? Length of the banana  looks different, I think E31 is longer than E88.

What do you think of it?

Kats 

PS. The last two pictures are  racing special head, you see the ribs and blank for fuel pump location. Thanks for Kubo-San , Speed shop KUBO .

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats

Hi Kats,

you are exactly correct in your observation of E31 head differences.

someone who was a noted Z engine builder tried to sell me an E31 

head that had the E31 ground off of the head.  I brought this mold 

(banana) difference to his attention and he admitted that it was actually

an E88 head.  Unfortunately, he (who will remain unnamed) is still in

business.

Dan

• Like 1

Sorry to possibly confuse the issue, but I have E31 heads here that have both the short and long bananas. I don't mean a mix, all long or all short.

The long banana E31 is from HLS30-164xx but the short banana E31 I cannot pinpoint as to build date or original VIN. 

I wish this marker could be more conclusive. Perhaps it does apply to early heads, but not later ones. Just a guess.

Any others with this experience?

• Like 1

On 10/29/2016 at 10:44 AM, AZ-240z said:

someone who was a noted Z engine builder tried to sell me an E31 

head that had the E31 ground off of the head.  

I brought this mold 

(banana) difference to his attention and he admitted that it was actually

an E88 head.  Unfortunately, he (who will remain unnamed) is still in

business.

Dan

By identifying the guy as a "noted Z engine builder" you're placing suspicion on every noted Z engine builder out there.  Doesn't seem right to do that.  Better to just ID the guy and let him explain what he was doing.

My Z432 had its  transmission rebuilt in 2013, here is a link of Mr.Kawashima 's web site. He has been rebuilding many transmissions for S30 and Skyline. 

This time I ordered him rebuilding my another FS5C71A which was kept in a garage as a spare.

Tomorrow the spare one will arrive at local Nissan near my house, I will report replacement job at Nissan.

This is the work in 2013,http://www.vintagecraft-e-za.com/s30zのページ/旧車のレストアは楽し/71a3分割-空飛ぶz432/

And this is the work just completed last week,http://www.vintagecraft-e-za.com/s30zのページ/旧車のレストアは楽し/71a3分割-空飛ぶℤ432その4-1/

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

Arrived at Kyoto Nissan , waiting for installation.

I found previous transmission has wrong order of assembling about a plate and spacer. A thin plate should be under the spacer, not on the spacer.

This will be corrected when  the new one will be in position.

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

By the way, is it repairable? A winner of an auction is now very unhappy when he saw rusty water came out all over the block , transmission. Winning bit was 31000 USD.

On the other hand, a new in box S20 head only (no cams/ valves/springs/etc) was 25000 USD on Yahoo Japan auctuon .

Kats

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by kats

Kats, this one sold back in january and was "rebuilt" but they didn't give an engine builders name in the auction.

If his is rebuildable then he's got about  30k usd to pay an engine builder if you compare it to this one.

Do you know Uchida Motor Works in Tokyo?  Pictures on his website show quite a few s20 engines in his shop.

http://victory50.com/index2.html

He is quite the fabricator. Do you see the cable driven tach adaper he made for the s20?

I'de be curious as to what he charges for a complete rebuild.

s20-engin-final-sell-price.png.3dc5afd271901cce8428b8c762abb5e9.png

17 hours ago, kats said:

I found previous transmission has wrong order of assembling about a plate and spacer. A thin plate should be under the spacer, not on the spacer.

This will be corrected when  the new one will be in position.

Kats

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Kats,

I firmly believe that the illustrations of the rear mount and spacers in the Nissan parts manuals are wrong, and that your car - as currently assembled - is correct.

I came across this when I was assembling my S20-spec FS5C71A rear mount, and it seemed to me that the Spacer shim (11335-E4700) acts as a load-spreader for the two 'Distance Pieces' (11336-E4200), protecting the cast aluminium transmission case from localised loading where the two Distance Pieces touch it. 

On the L-gata version, the mount simply bolts direct to the transmission rear case and the load is spread across the full shape of the mount. This is most closely replicated If you bolt the Spacer shim between the Distance Pieces and the transmission rear case - as your car is now. If you bolt the Spacer shim between the Distance Pieces and the mount (steel to steel), then what does it do? It seems to me that it does nothing useful...

I'm not keen on contradicting Nissan technical illustrations, but to me it seems that this detail was wrongly illustrated, or at least illustrated from an incorrect assembly.

What does Kawashima san think about it?