IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Hello Blue,

Thank you for the story when 240Z was for sale,that is what I love to hear .

I am not for sure about listing in Japan at those days, but I have heard quite often this, when S30 was introduced , that car was actually "dream car" for the people in Japan.

Not so many people could buy it, S30 was a super car even basic model(S30S).

About Z432-R, category A international racing licence was needed to buy it.

Also some people were asked about the licince even buying Z432.

Economic condition and life style in Japan was very different from the U.S. and other country in 1970's, I think.

kats

Kats, were there waiting lists in Japan to buy Z's when they were first manufactured?

Here in Eastern Canada, a gentleman, for whom I am restoring his car, had to wait one year to get a Z. He wanted it in 1970 but it was not until April 1971 when he could get one.... and he bought it in British Columbia as he was still on the waiting list in Eastern Canada.

Edited by kats

Hi,

I have been dreaming about one day I will have my S20 painted silver like an original.

My S20 engine block was painted black.

And yesterday I did it by my hand! I bought a heat proof silver spray can and a brash,

I did not want to dissassemble the engine from the bay, I decided to paint with brash

with the engine stayed there.

To mask everything seemed too much for me, so spray can was not suitable for this mission.

I sprayed silver in a cup to get enough paint liquid to dip a brash.

I took off the starter,alternator,and the oil filter.I also considered about taking off of 3 carbs,

but I decided to remain them.

I think I did good work.If the car was fresh rolled out from a body shop, I would not do it by myself.

Now the car is daily driver condition, so I did not hesitate to do it.

Do not look at closely, this is not professional work,you will find some imperfections:ermm:

kats

post-3193-1415082047857_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150820479017_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150820479451_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150820479883_thumb.jpg

Wow! Impressive work. It looks especially good seeing that you avoided painting over the nuts and bolts.

Did you know that you can buy silver fittings for your oil cooler lines, to replace the blue ones? Ive done that on some of my cars, and ive found it looks ok- at least it doesn't draw attention. Unfortunately, no one makes a mat-black finish vinyl hose that i know of, so the hoses still stay shiny.

Hi Kats, Just returned home from Richmond, Virginia. Grandson was 2 on the 15th. I checked the serial #, it's 253. To get it back on the road I need clutch, pressure plate which I can purchase here. Things I'll need for the early 5 speed are, rubber shift boot ( under leather shift boot ), Throw out bearing, the 2 wire springs inside the 5 speed, rubber boot for linkage arm.

Are the exterior emblems still available? I need hood, both aft side emblems behind the windows , and all hatch back emblems. I have original side Fairlady fender emblems.I have hubcaps with no center emblems. Early cars here have "D" centers. What did the Fairlady ZL have? I picked up brochures when I visited Japan on leave in Dec. 71. Looks as if they were pentagon in the center of the hubcaps. I saw the burgundy Fairlady ZG on display, absolutly a thing of beauty. I'd like to get my Fairlady back on the road so I can move down to West coast of Florida. Hopefully I'll try and post pictures

Oh yes,I will replace a water hose to the cloth braided hose when I bring my Z432 to Sandiego 2014
My Z432 has dual speakers for the 8 track stereo, but I found the bracket has two types of shape.

Left speaker 's bracket is not a circle while the other side is a circle.

Which is the earliest? From the service bulletin issued Nov 1969, the illustration is showing not circle bracket.

It is interesting!

And the speakers are not the original earliest ones, but they came from a 1973 240Z.

The speakers have silk screen on the top, how about yours?

Kats

Hi Kats,

It will be great if you can bring your Z432 to San Diego in 2014. I would love to see it in person and I would like to bring one of my cars as well. Hopefully the timing will work out for both of us.

My 1970 Fairlady ZL also has the 8 track stereo. It currently has pioneer speakers that a prior owner must have put in it before it was taken off the road in the late 70's. I'm not sure if the speaker brackets are original or not, but they are both the rounded version, like your right side. Your speaker brackets are painted black, but originally I think they would have been cad plated. My US market cars have the same type of bracket and speaker like you shown on the left side and they have the silk screen squares on the speaker cone like yours.

Nice work on the floors and rear panel repairs. It looks like they did a good job matching the exterior paint to the rest of the car. Did you get that rear repair panel on yahoo Japan? I saw one sold on there several months ago (maybe late last year). I have one that I will use on my Fairlady Z when I get around to restoring it.

-Mike

post-9102-14150820544434_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820544823_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mike B

Are the exterior emblems still available? I need hood, both aft side emblems behind the windows , and all hatch back emblems. I have original side Fairlady fender emblems.I have hubcaps with no center emblems. Early cars here have "D" centers. What did the Fairlady ZL have? I picked up brochures when I visited Japan on leave in Dec. 71. Looks as if they were pentagon in the center of the hubcaps. I saw the burgundy Fairlady ZG on display, absolutly a thing of beauty. I'd like to get my Fairlady back on the road so I can move down to West coast of Florida. Hopefully I'll try and post pictures

Fred, unfortunately, I don't think original hood or 1970 quarter panel emblems are available new for the Fairlady Z. I saw a reproduction hood emblem on yahoo Japan a few months ago that was decent looking, but not exactly the same. Used ones come up for sale on yahoo Japan periodically, but they are expensive. A lot of people try to pass off 280ZX hood emblems as S30 emblems, but they are different. 1970 JDM quarter panel emblems are very hard to find, but I have seen a couple sold on yahoo Japan ($$$$). The hatch Fairlady Z emblem is the same as the fender Fairlady Z emblems and they are still available from the dealer and listed on ebay all the time. The Nissan hatch emblem is also pretty hard to find.

Your Fairlady ZL would have had the hubcaps with no center emblems that you described (see attached photos).

I'd love to see pictures of your car. Where and when did you get it?

-Mike

post-9102-14150820545204_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820545372_thumb.jpg

Agree those Series 1 wing emblems are tough to source in any kind of decent shape. They are an excellent candidate for some aspiring modeler to re-pop using a good example and a 3-D printer.

Id personally love to find another "NISSAN" hatch emblem (the one that actually says "Nissan"), but ive only ever seen them on the early S30 Zs. Are they on any other models?

Agree those Series 1 wing emblems are tough to source in any kind of decent shape. They are an excellent candidate for some aspiring modeler to re-pop using a good example and a 3-D printer.

Id personally love to find another "NISSAN" hatch emblem (the one that actually says "Nissan"), but ive only ever seen them on the early S30 Zs. Are they on any other models?

I was lucky that my Fairlady ZL had both quarter panel emblems in really good shape when I got it. The only two metal emblems I was missing were the hood and rear hatch 'Nissan' emblems. The car actually came with a NOS in the box plastic hood emblem that the prior owner bought in the 70's, but I really wanted a complete set of metal emblems. I was unbelievably lucky and able to find both missing metal emblems on ebay recently. Both were not described well, as the sellers didn't really know which cars they belonged to. The hood emblem is actually NOS and was picked up off the production line as a souvenir by a Nissan exec during a factory tour in the 1970's. The hatch emblem had "1970-73 Skyline" written on the back with a marker, but I don't think that is correct. As far as I can determine, the emblem seems to be unique to the Fairlady Z.

-Mike

post-9102-14150820547616_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820548035_thumb.jpg

post-9102-14150820548602_thumb.jpg