IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Given that this car has

- Full US Spec. Emissions Controls with Air Pump

- Ignition timing of 5 degrees, and single point distributor

- Specifications given in US units

So far - I would see no reason to think it was anything other than a US Spec. car.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Amazing simply amazing Kats! Thank you so much for all this info and the amazing sound of the S20!!! I have never heard one until now. I think I saw the film set you talk about going on ebay about a month ago, glad it went to such a fantastic home.

Thank you everyone,

Zealous,yes it was a month ago.I flew to L.A. this week and I had arranged with the seller living in Long beach to meet at my hotel.He told me he was a mechanic and he trained young guys back in 1960's to 1970's.He is a great gentleman.

Mike, yes I think the air cleaner is light blue I think I posted before a much clearer picture of this cleaner.The nut is unusual and fuel pipes and hoses are different.

Carl, you are right this slide car has an Emission control system. I want to know what number does this car have?

As Alan pointed out, I tend to think HLS30-00001 may be euro.This slide car has an Emmision, so must not be HLS30-00001.

I am confusing, please see these two pictures,a red car from Nissan official site and a mono tone car from the pres kit. They are the same I think.

But I noticed some thing different from the slide car.

The slide car does have a O.K. sticker and the "D" emblem on the hubcap.On the other hand, the red car does not have either.

So, they are different car? They are not HLS30-00001 ?

Carl,did you say the red car is HLS30-00006/7/8?

kats

post-3193-14150805142702_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150805143188_thumb.jpg

Kats,

I don't think the B&W car would be so light if it were red. I don't think red would give that much contrast.

I'm no expert in Photoshop but I tried to adjust the colors from the middle picture Mike posted. At first, I thought the car might be green because of all the red saturation however I'm satisfied that the car is red. The air filter box is indeed light blue and I noticed the screws. I don't see any hood bumpers and the cowl screws are not painted. In the last picture Mike posted, notice the undercoating in the fender well. My, my...factory undercoating...

Carl,

Ok, I should have looked this up. The Fairlady Z parts catalog lists 62650-E4100, front bumper, applicable to models PZ and ZL. E4101 applies to models ZS and ZSA. E4103 (less rubber holes) replaced E4101 in 5/70 and applied to models ZS, ZSA, HZS, and HZSA. E4102 replaced E4100 in 5/70 and applied to models PZ, ZL, ZA, HZ, and HZA. The bumper rubber, 62690-E4102, shows the models ZS and ZSA excluded from application. So what this means is that the stripped down versions of the S30, both domestic and exported, were not equipped with bumper rubbers, hole-less bumpers are not "Euro", and not necessarily reproductions either. Hope this helps.

Thank you,Chris

You gave me a new interesting point of view.

Racing green,you are probably right, it looks darker color more than red.

About the aircleaner, light blue can be seen at Z432 also.Here is pictures from recently sold on Yahoo.

kats

post-3193-14150805187335_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150805187585_thumb.jpg

Kats - Thanks for sharing your slides with us. They are interesting and well worth the cost of professional restoration. Someday I look forward to seeing more of the set. I noticed that several of the photographs that these slides were compiled from are the same used in the Service Manual P/N 99999-20016. Another thing I noticed and only because of a recent thread on the subject, was the later D hubcaps.

Carl,did you say the red car is HLS30-00006/7/8?

kats

Hi Kats:

An answer to your last question - first. I'm still trying to outline a simple answer to your first questions.

The red car used in the 1970 US Sales Brochure is HLS30 0007. The Silver car is HLS30 0008 and the Greeen car is HLS30 0006.

The red car used in the 1969 US Sales Brochure was most likely HLS30 00002 or 00003. Most likely the same car used in the Factory Picture and Press Release Documents you provided. It looks like they were all from the same photo session of the same car.

The picture in the original 1969 US Sales Brochure - seems to have had the DATSUN and 240-Z emblems photo-edited into the original picture. You can see that the 240-Z emblem is on the wrong angle even.

The car in the Service Slide show - could be 00003 - as you have it marked at possibly going to the Service Dept. On the other hand it might be 00002 because the suspension components seem to be scuffed in the pictures - and 00002 is listed as being Test Driven by Shatai

Fun to try to figure this out...

FWIW,

Carl B.

post-3609-14150805190696_thumb.jpg

Edited by Carl Beck

Excuse me for this short diversion to the thread....

...... and 00002 is listed as being Test Driven by Shatai

Carl,

I've seen you do this before, and I find it hard to understand where it comes from (?).

Abbreviating 'Nissan Shatai Koki K.K.' or 'Nissan Shatai' to just "Shatai" makes no sense whatsoever. It's like abbreviating 'Fisher Body Co.' to just "Body".

For the sake of clarity, I suggest we here all agree to call the company that actually built the cars we are talking about 'Nissan Shatai'. Agreed? :classic:

Apologies for the diversion.

Cheers,

Alan T.

Hi,

geezer,stay tune:classic: I will do one at a time , it is a bit expensive for me.

Carl, thank you for the recall.And the car in the slide could be HLS30-00003,now I think so too. HLS30-00001 and 00002 would have been crashed or cut into pieces :cry:

Alan, I agreed what you suggested. Thank you as always, please jump in anytime and share your knowledge with us :classic:

kats

The bumpers without rubber trim have always been listed in the Parts Catalog.

62650-E4102 ASSY-FRONT BUMPER (With Rubber Hole)

62650-E4103 ASSY-FRONT BUMPER (Less Rubber Hole) From 06/70

I assume you are referring to the 'USA & Canada Parts Catalog'?

In which case, what was the part number for the USA & Canada market front bumper without the rubber hole that was used before 06/70? All I see in my copy of the USA & Canada parts list is 62650-E4101 ASSY-FRONT BUMPER with an applied date up to 05/70, and the 62650-E4103 listed as an 'Op' part ( with that 06/70 'Applied From' date ).

If 62650-E4101 was used up to 05/70 in the USA & Canada, and came with the corner rubbers and ( obviously ) the holes, then it would suggest that the part numbers are not corresponding - viz:

In the Japanese market parts lists, 62650-E4101 is listed as the bumper used on the 'S' model ( meaning 'S30-S', or 'ZStd', or simply 'Z-S' - the no-frills 'Fairlady Z' ) which had plain, non-rubbered bumpers ( obviously ) without the holes. This plain bumper was also used on the 'PZR' 'Fairlady Z432-R.

62650-E4100 is of course the rubber-trimmed bumper used on the 'Deluxe' model 'S30' 'Fairlady Z-L', and the 'PZ' model 'PS30' 'Fairlady Z432'.

I don't see 62650-E4100 listed in my copy of the USA & Canada parts lists.

Thank you Alan,

I am always confused about the part number of the bumper,and about Rubber less bumper, I saw some have two grommets on the front, but some do not. I am confusing what is a OEM and what is a NOT OEM.

Today, I renew my website again, some short videos there, I think some of you will be interested in these.

http://www.geocities.jp/datsunz903/stopwatch.html

Operation of the stop watch(rally clock), the throttle lever(pedal and cable),

and the parking light.

I intentionally pulled/pushed the throttle lever like "awkward movements" to show the plastic grommet and cable's movement.

Enjoy,

kats

• 1 month later...