IGNORED

Datsun-240z Vs Fairlady-z432

kats

Yes, now that I look at the pictures more closely, I can see the D on the hub caps. Not necessarily the same car. I wasn't aware that the very first cars came with D hubcaps. Here is the Road & Track introductory car. No D hub caps. Do you figure this one to be the silver car?

Note the whitewall tires, Kats?

post-4148-14150803694941_thumb.jpg

Hi Chris:

According to Mr. Speckman, **** Roberts told him, his car was the car used for the R&T cover on the Dec. issue. It is possible that one or all three were shipped without the D hubcaps - only to have them put on after arrival here. #6 and #7 seem to have been built in Sept. and #8 the first of Oct.

It is also possible that some of the very early photo's were of #4 and #5 used in the North American Road Tests by Nissan. They didn't have any identifying trim during the road tests - but that could also have been put on after the fact for the photo shoots.

Have you found any other pictures of a Z with white-wall's? I was thinking that perhaps they replaced the snow tires on one of the test cars and added the Datsun Emblems and D Hubcaps for the photo shoot....

FWIW,

Carl B.

Of course anything is possible, however as highly unlikely as that farce about Mr. K ripping the Fairlady emblems off at the docks. The North American test cars were silver, they had no emblems, and they were returned to Japan. The snow tires were black-walls and the wheels were silver. Have a look at Kats' videos.

I'll bet this is the red car.

post-4148-14150803695156_thumb.jpg

Ah...yes... I believe I said with the snow tires changed and emblems added.... I was just trying to account for mounting white walls for the original photo.

Yes that is the most likely the Red Car...... but is it the one in the 69 Brochure as well? I think that is the original question.

Are you saying that it is also the car on the R&T cover?

Carl B.

Carl,

We're getting way off topic! I really don't know what to say about any of the photos. The people in the Parker photo are the same as the red brochure photo, but they have different clothes on. I see oddities in all the photos from what we are normally used to seeing. I don't think the NA test cars had colored fender light lenses. I see in at least one of the photos that the rear bumper has that rubber end cap that we normally associate with home market cars and the 432. The wheels used for the snow tires on the test cars are like nothing I have seen before. The list goes on and on. The Road & Track article indicates the 240Z came with carpeting, AM radio and rear window defroster. Also, their pictures all show the hand throttle. Point being that I don't think we can expect consistancy with the production of later months.

Hi Carl and Chris,

let's keep going, I love to talk about early chassis number cars.

I am going to ask about the young man and lady in the brochure,who are they? How old are they now? If we can here about when they were working on that photo mission,it is great , is not it?

I will post a 1970 press kit, I see there are another man and lady in the picture.

It seems to me they are different people,different hair style from the brochure.

kats

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

from a press kit for DATSUN 1970(two different types of kit for 1970). A young man and a lady , are they the same of the red car in the U.S. brochure?

Note the white ribbon tyre,

not superspeed radial-20,

no D hubcap,

Rear bumper corner rubber guard,

no OK sticker,

no splash pan

chrome-Z quater emblem,

kats

post-3193-14150803753296_thumb.jpg

post-3193-14150803753853_thumb.jpg

HI Kats:

No they are different people. I haven't found anyone that has a record of the models names from that period.

According to Mr. Speckman, the car that was in the Jan 1970 issue of R&T was his - HLS30 00008 - a Silver Z.

FWIW,

Carl B.

Thank you Carl,

About test cars,I think they could be HLS30-00004 and 00005 but it could be different if HS30-00002/3/4 were made before the test cars.Mr. Uemura and Mr. Osawa told me the two cars were sent back Japan immidiately after the test.

Interesting, one of the test car got automatic transmission.But I can not confirm it from the video.Also In the video we can see one of the test car got rear deck aero spoiler during the test conducted.

Chris, about the emblem, did I tell you in the video, Mr.K and the crew members were talking about something standing at near the rear gate, in front of the area which is used for "emblems".

Seems to me they were talking about the emblem, the crew explaining(suggesting) emblems' details, and Mr.K was thinking about the emblems.

kats

• 1 month later...
does anyone know what engine the z432r has in it. all i know is that it has a dual over head cam

The 'PS30-SB' Fairlady Z432-R had the same engine as the 'PS30' Fairlady Z432.

It was the 'S20' engine, which was derived from the Nissan 'GR8' and the earlier Prince 'GR8' race engines. The 'S20' was a two litre, 24-valve, twin-cam, crossflow six cylinder design, equipped with a six-branch stainless steel tubular exhaust manifold and triple 40PHH Mikuni-Solex side-draught carburettors. The 'S20' engine was first fitted to the 'PGC10' model Skyline GT-R, which debuted in early 1969. In standard production trim the S20 was rated at 160ps ( around 158bhp ).

Use the SEARCH function on this site and you will come up with plenty of info and pics of these engines and the cars they were fitted to. WE have discussed them many times before.

Have fun :)

Basic engine was the Nissan/Prince( :P )S20. Not just a twin cam either. 4 valves per cylinder, 3 twin choke mikunis and 2 camshafts...and that is just up top!

Totally different to the Nissan L6 series of engines

...but then a 432 is far removed from just "a 240Z with a different engine"

Do a search on THIS forum and you will find THE most accurate information (in English) on these engines compared to anywhere else on the 'Net.

Welcome and Enjoy!

While I was typing I just knew you'd beat me to a replyLOL.

Cheers Alan :)

Edited by g72s20
pipped at the post!