IGNORED

my version of twice pipes

madkaw

Yes Steve, longer is quieter on glass packs. My red car has a single 24" glasspack on it. The muffler is 2", the pipes are 1 3/4". (Not my favorite part of the car, performance-wise. But that's what the original owner put on it. And after all, it's only a stock L24.) Anyway, with only that muffler on it and the small diameter pipe, it's not too loud, and has a nice mellow tone. Burbles and pops on deceleration, too.

Your pipes look like 2 1/4" to me. If so, I'd put 18" on it for street driving. The larger pipes will make it louder, so more muffler might be better.

Thanks Arne,

thats the kind of info I need since I don't mess with exhaust too much. Those pipes are 2" all the way. I wanted to keep them small but also match up with the MSA header collector. I think anything bigger is way overkill. I am only running the p-30 but it is modified. I was looking for a different sound and look out the back. Plus I have only heard good things about crossovers so I incorporated that in the mix. Plus with my set up ,I can split the pipes on either side of the gas tank. Who knows, maybe the performance gain will be more then enough to offset the additional weight:laugh:

I feel lucky that it has came out so good so far since i only screwed up one mandrel bend.

Sounds good. With 2" I'm pretty comfortable that a pair of 18" should do the trick. The cross-over should even out the pulses and smooth the exhaust note. I'd love to hear it when it's done.

The system looks great I cant wait to hear it. I want that system on my Z. Its looks alot better then the one from MSA and looks like it fits better to. Good luck I hope to do one on mine this summer at my local custom shop.

When I get the exhaust completely done ,I would put down a complete list of pipe bends i used. I ordered everything from Stahl Headers , there prices are reasonable and there were friendly to deal with. The pipe is 18 guage which was fine for me to keep weight down . And I was hoping to use this set-up as a templete for maybe a SS version later. The cost was atleast double++ for SS and I would have been pissed screwing up a 40$ piece of SS pipe.

• 3 years later...

Sorry I let this thread go! I started posting on here and Hybrid and I let this thread go by the wayside.

I did finish and i am driving my twice piped engine and i couldn't be any happier. It is hard to describe the sound, but a friend said it sounded Ferrari-esk. I had some folks say that the inline 6 would sound funny with duals, but it is simply dreamy to drive.

In the end I wound up using 12" resonators and 12" magnaflows to keep the sound under control. By no means is this a quiet exhaust and there is still drone noise between 2200 and 2500 rpm, but I have learned to stay out of that range when feasable. The intention of the crossover pipe was to help eliminate the drone and resonance, but I' not sure if it had any effect. It is also hard to say whether it improve performance-but what a sound! At 3000 and above the sound is beautiful and quiet. At highway cruisin-70mph+ I am in that magic zone and the sound is exotic more then loud.

I did wind up using the band clamps at the collectors at the header and at the resonators -so 4 clamps and i can remove the whole mid section of the exhaust-and i have already.

Would I change anything-maybe removing the crossover so i could run longer resonators might soften the drone. Also some ansa tips might remove a slight cackle i get at the tips that sound metallic and you swear your hearing valves tapping.

I am still tuning on this motor so the end results of all this exhaust work still might show. I dynoed at Zcon at 155hp and torque with my motor running out of gas at5100rpm. Hopefully with some tweeking and this free flowing exhaust I will show some very decent numbers at the next dyno run.

Here is a small clip of the exhaust that I believe was complete with resonators at the time. I will try an in car down the highway some time.

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/_mad_kaw_/z%20exhaust/?action=view&current=Zcar001.mp4

post-7622-14150811749375_thumb.jpg

post-7622-14150811749827_thumb.jpg

I agree, although I'd really like to hear them all the way up through the rev range.;)

...under load......on the dyno........or...........like this :cool:

Love what you've done with your exhaust man! I'm that close to doing it on my car, I'm waiting for my current exhaust to expire so I can justify the changeover.

Cheers.

Edited by ozconnection