IGNORED

Scuff plates - steel or aluminium?

240znz

What caught my attention was your build date. My build date is 12/70 (HLS30 16896). Just curious, what is your vin# ?
I have HS30-00352. You'll note that the L is missing meaning that it a right hand drive model. This just goes to show how few RHD models were released into the market when compared to LHD of the same build date.

Don't forget that the factory had made around 4500 RHD S30-series Z models other than the 'HS30' before the end of calendar year 1970. The '240Z' models were not the whole story............

But back to the thread subject:

Alan T - can you shed any light onto this?

Ha! You've got me scratching my head and my chin at the same time now.

When I was pulling my mid-1970 build 'Fairlady Z-L' apart, the scuff plates were nicely rusty - to the point where the vinyl covering was bubbling up and peeling off. I think they were the original fitment, and they were certainly steel.

I have a couple of pairs of new ones still in the packet ( I bought them several years ago in Japan ) but I can't for the life of me remember whether they are steel or alloy. I'll have a dig around in the garage and report back later. I do remember thinking that the new ones were nice and light in comparison to the rusty originals.

The RHD export model parts list shows that there was a supersession in May 1972:

*74932-E4100 PLATE - SCUFF ( up to 05-72 )

*74932-E4101 PLATE - SCUFF ( 06-72 on )

Japanese market parts list shows the former in use there too.

My LHD export parts list shows exactly the same numbers and dates - so I think all models got the same part during the same period of manufacture.

I see that there's just one part number for RH side and LH side until November 1973, when new individual numbers for RH and LH sides must mean that there was a detail change for the new models.

Alan T.

In an effort to hopefully get us all on the same page here's a picture from my car. You will notice the aluminum "sill plate", which, in my case, says "Datsun". Courtesy calls this a kick plate. Inside of that is the "scuff plate" which Courtesy calls a "skuff plate". Mine is steel with a textured black vinyl glued to the top. The "scuff plate" has a hump on it which goes over the door weatherstrip. Normally there would be a thick piece of what I think is vinyl that goes under the "scuff plate" and is glued in place. This piece normally extends down to the floorboard. I obviously removed mine when I installed a full carpet kit. Finally, I included in the picture an original "scuff plate", upside down, which shows just how much it had rusted.

post-3294-14150800031104_thumb.jpg

Attached is a pic of the plates. The centre hole is offset to the left on both plates and the thickness is approximately the same as the sill kick plates.

The curve is formed via a series of four folds spaced at about every 10cm. The condition of them is "mangled", the camera flash makes them look far better than they are.

They could be off anything.

post-1608-14150800074537_thumb.jpg